PDA

View Full Version : Date Expired Lifejackets

Prophead
18th Mar 2010, 13:49
What happens to the lifejackets once they have expired? Are they refurbed or disposed of?

shinobi1
18th Mar 2010, 15:50
Hello, they're either, function checked, compressed gas cylinder(s) replaced and repacked. Or disposed of. Depends on the relevant manufacturers component maintenance manual. Hope this helps? Martin

Prophead
18th Mar 2010, 19:29
Thanks, would anyone at Heathrow have 2 or 3 available that are no longer needed. For use in a light aircraft.

muduckace
18th Mar 2010, 21:34
They make great party favours, place around the neck of the first to pass out drunk and pull. The yellow pax ones are more fun and much smaller.

Having said that prophead. If you have the option the orange/red crew jackets would be better.

Bus429
19th Mar 2010, 07:19
Come on, Prophead - are you a light aircraft owner or group member of the type so tight as to scrimp on the things that matter? Expired life jackets are just that and an unknown quantity. I've just had a look on the web and have seen prices from £73 - £90 for brand new aviation life jackets; you'll probably find cheaper ones, too.

Prophead
19th Mar 2010, 08:03
Well I am a yorkshireman:O

Seriously, we have had new jackets before and they have all gone missing from the aircraft. I dont mind spending the cash on one for myself but these would be just to keep in the aircraft for the people that dont seem to think they need one.

SeldomFixit
19th Mar 2010, 08:48
Just as well - a time ex jacket might be the next best thing to not having one.
Perhaps they could use the hard case as a canoe ~~~~~~~~~~~~:O

piggybank
19th Mar 2010, 09:12
We get ours from the USA, an outfit in Florida and when due inspection which in this case is 36 months from manufacture or 24 months in service, they are sent to the US for inspection. Last month I recommended to our store manager sell them off to people with small boats and use any money to defray cost of new ones. Basically freight and inspections do not come cheap.

NutLoose
26th Mar 2010, 00:29
You tend to get a lot on ebay, we used to service our own. check the bottle is in date, replace as needed, inflate them by mouth and leave inflated for a period, inspect the fabric, inspect the light battery, replace as needed, then deflate them, use a biro case and push the valve in with its edge whilst using a hoover hose to suck them flat, then repack :) you should be able to find a servicing schedule online for the make of jacket.

see

1 New E.A.M LifeJacket / Vest / Aircraft Life Preserver on eBay (end time 17-Apr-10 16:37:40 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-New-E-A-M-LifeJacket-Vest-Aircraft-Life-Preserver_W0QQitemZ160414873841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sportin gGoods_LifeJackets_PFDs_SM?hash=item255978b8f1#ht_601wt_939)

Life Vest - Inflatable on eBay (end time 28-Mar-10 11:15:07 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Life-Vest-Inflatable_W0QQitemZ230450989241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporti ngGoods_LifeJackets_PFDs_SM?hash=item35a7f308b9#ht_710wt_116 5)

just search life jacket

Though for the safety and all that, a new one is a little cost in the scheme of things....... And I neither endorse or condone the use of the ones I have shown as an example....

Blacksheep
26th Mar 2010, 08:15
Nice to see you asking Prophead. Most people just nick them from under the seat when flying as SLF. Once had to try and get one (full aircrew Mae West complete with SARBE) back from an Admiral who nicked his lifejacket from a VIP Whirlwind. We knew it was him 'cos he was travelling alone.

I learned about diplomacy from that... ;)

gordon field
1st Apr 2010, 18:42
Airline life jackets are not manufactured to the same standard as those recommended for use in light aircraft where they are subjected to more wear and use. Don't compromise on safety issues.