PDA

View Full Version : Emirate seat choice

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 10:47
We will be on an Emirates 777-300ER next week. Any suggestions for good seats in economy?

I see 46-48 has pairs of window seat. An alternative to minimise climbing is a pair of centre seats. Of course if the flight is not full a block of 3 between 2 window seats would be good.

Our flight will be EK12 ex-Gatwick on Saturday. Any idea how full these flights are?

forget
18th Mar 2010, 11:07
Go for the pairs/windows at the back - but I'd guess, by now, you'll be too late.

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 11:14
Forget, as I can only check in 24 hours ahead I guess I am stuck.

raffele
18th Mar 2010, 11:51
Have you consulted Seatguru/Seatexpert for their recommendations?

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 12:01
Raffele, belatedly, yes.

The other question though is potential load factor. It is is usually light then better chance.

Scumbag O'Riley
18th Mar 2010, 13:31
best seat in any class is the seat with nobody in the one next to you. so pick the seat next to one where you suspect nobody else will want to sit - like a middle seat.

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 13:41
best seat in any class is the seat with nobody in the one next to you. so pick the seat next to one where you suspect nobody else will want to sit - like a middle seat.

I sense a cunning plan here.

Mrs PN in one row and me in the next. Double chance of 2 free seats in one row; best option 4 spare seats. Worse case ask a passenger to swap.

forget
18th Mar 2010, 19:06
as I can only check in 24 hours ahead I guess I am stuck.

You can reserve seats as soon as you've booked the flight. It's only the electronic check in that's 24 hours or less.

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 20:35
forget, thanks for that. Short of calling Emirates again, can you point me in the irght direction, I couldn't find it on Google.

forget
18th Mar 2010, 20:48
Go to the Emirates web and go to Manage Booking. Use your reservation code to get into the choices. Seat Reservation is in there - somewhere.

Pontius Navigator
18th Mar 2010, 21:03
Forget, yes, thank, I stumbled into it. I had had a problem around Christmas as we couldn't get the booking ref. We have it now.

TA has done quite a good job with getting a pair of window seats on each flight near the sharp end. Flight looks quite full however with a 3rd person in our row on each and a mere scattering of empty seats.

Next big problem having found the seats will be when I offer Mrs PN a menu choice.

Sark
20th Mar 2010, 20:58
After much experience of online booking with seat reservation I am of the thought that the websites offer a limited number of seats available for selection. Windows, aisles but those that appear taken have been taken by who? I have booked really early at times and blocks of seats seem to have been already taken.

sprocky_ger
20th Mar 2010, 21:50
"Forget, as I can only check in 24 hours ahead I guess I am stuck."

Thats strange. Is this just due to your location? I flew HAM-DXB-CMB last October. I am sure I could mark preferred seats upon booking. If available I received them upon 24h prior check-in.

We went for row 47 and it was a good choice. Slight drawback is the left armrest of the window seat in case your shape is more like Roseanne than Lindsay Lohan ;) since you cannot lift it up.

Booking the rows right behind the kitchens (like row 23 or 37) you may ending up with no choice for the meals as happened to us on return flight.

Pontius Navigator
20th Mar 2010, 22:13
sprocky, I was confused between reserving a seat and checking in. Now discovered that the TA had reserved reasonable seat obviously early on, 3rd row in economy.

djlawless
23rd Mar 2010, 12:45
Sark -

In my experience with these websites, seats are blocked for a few reasons. Sometimes, rows at the front of economy are blocked for rewards program fliers, such as Medallion on Delta.

Also (and maybe a booking agent/gate agent could confirm these) seating unaccompanied minors, those with mobility needs, or (maybe?) for staff travel? I have seen these seats boarded last on some flights, so I assume they are held until boarding is nearly complete and then released to people on standby if unused.

Also, blocks of seats could be pre-booked by travel companies for sale with their vacation packages. I guess that would depend on the destination and the time of year.