PDA

View Full Version : Life after DVT

Shaker One
23rd Apr 2001, 04:12
Yes I know the topic has been covered before in this forum, but I've now developed a vested interest in the subject! Would anyone who has suffered a DVT and is still flying like to share their experience and profer suggestions as to how to prevent a recurrence. I understand 100mg of aspirin a day can help. Thanks in anticipation
----
Shaker One

gingernut
24th Apr 2001, 01:39
Shaker, there needs to be more research in this area. I'd be a little wary about taking aspirin per se. Aspirin is a very useful, and usually, safe drug, but in situations like this, its is allways best to weigh up the risks and the benefits of treatment. Aspirin and its sister drugs, (NSAID's), probably kill about 2000 people per year in the UK. If every single air passenger was given an aspirin, it would probably cause more problems, than it would prevent.

Don't forget the non drug measures, plenty of fluids, avoid alcohol, passive calf exercises.(pretend to have a pencil between the toes and draw circles- not if you are flying an aircraft.)

Prophylactic aspirin will probably be reserved for "at risk groups" eg the immobile, past history of dvt etc,),

Cheers.

Shaker One
25th Apr 2001, 04:21
Gingernut
Thanks for your reply. I am however now in the 'at risk' category and hoping to hear from fellow avaitors in the same boat who are still flying and what they may be doing to prevent DVT from recurring.
There must be one or two aviators who've had DVT and are still flying? Let's hear from you guys.
----
Shaker One

Shaker One
27th Apr 2001, 02:44
Alex
Received your email thanks. However please send again with your full email address so I may reply. Currently my bigfoot mail is redirected and I'd rather not reply from my usual email address if you know what I mean.
----
Shaker One

caqtas air
27th Apr 2001, 18:00
Drink more grog. Ever heard of alcohol clotting????

unschuldig
27th Apr 2001, 21:37
I recently read an article suggesting Ginkgo Biloba for those concerned with DVT. It is a natural product for healthy circulation- perhaps worth looking into.