PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fever innoculation

fergineer
18th Jan 2001, 00:53
Hi Guys, For those that are due the Yellow Fever jab be advised there is a worldwide shortage out there and they are only giving jabs when they have enough people, taken me 3 days to find a place to have one and as I was the only one having the jab it cost £77 as there was no one else to share it. Apparently the shortage has been going for some time.

Unwell_Raptor
18th Jan 2001, 01:35
Yup. Going to Caracas on Friday, sans jab. If it all goes wrong, bye chaps.

And especially you, flapsforty. I shall die happy having met you.

AYLGR
18th Jan 2001, 03:00
Unfortunately Yellow Fever is about the only jab that is a requirement for entry to many of the dodgy places on this planet, although having said that, these places tend to be the ones least likely to check your valid cert.

Bob

Xenia
18th Jan 2001, 04:30
Don't worry about CCS unwell_raptor :)
I spent half of my life there and never had a problem ;)
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time there :)
Let me know when you, hopefully, come back

------------------
*************************Happy Landings! :)

[This message has been edited by Xenia (edited 18 January 2001).]

overfly
18th Jan 2001, 04:52
there was a shortage last December too, so I was told . However I eventually had the jab simply by walking in to the BA clinic in Regent St. Super service - they run the clinic like the whole airline used to be. Only cost £30 and this was refunded later as I took part in a survey for an American research company. :)

AeroBoero
18th Jan 2001, 05:47
30 GBP a yellow fever vaccine? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
Last year I took it for free where I lived in Brazil before moving back to EU, and where I lived there isn't a place that is threatned by that desease.
Unwell_Raptor , why don't you try to get to a medic post in CCS and get one there. I am sure that it will cost a lot less. (If they have anyway...world shortage?humm)

[This message has been edited by AeroBoero (edited 18 January 2001).]

Rollingthunder
18th Jan 2001, 06:57
Absinthe is available again in the world.
Ah, Paris...

oops, sorry wrong topic.

haole
18th Jan 2001, 06:57
i am suprised that you are required to get a yellow feaver shot,as far as i know in the states we are norequired to get them as i went to s e asia and was told not to get them as the desease was no longer a threat?

Grandad Flyer
19th Jan 2001, 02:49
I was surprised someone mentioned a shortage this time last year, I had a shot, just called my GP, booked myself in, paid my money (about £30 if I recall) and that was that. Mind you, its only due every 10 years, so not that difficult to remember to get it done a little bit early...

McC
19th Jan 2001, 22:17
I'm married to a nurse ( surprise surprise ) and her paperwork suggests that a Yellow fever jab is required when returning from an infected area. Check with your surgery.

Pete McC

Rob_L
20th Jan 2001, 00:56
From my experience the less civilised places are the most likely, not the least likely to check vaccination certificates, since they can extract a bribe to let you in if you've come without (Probably still cheaper than the price you quote for the jab!).

By the way, my best friend caught amoebic dysentry in Caracas, albeit a while ago, and that's almost as bad, also you never fully get rid of it I believe.