PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy

BenHK
1st Mar 2001, 17:50
Does anybody know what the current situation is regarding PPL's and Epilepsy. I understand that with the new JAR regs coming in the powers that be are relaxing the conditions under which controlled Epileptics can fly.
I used to hold a PPL, until about 2 years ago when I got epilepsy. I have heard that, now that I have my drivers licence back I can get my PPl back. Is this correct!
Any help with this would be great as I have to get back up in the air!

dusk2dawn
1st Mar 2001, 21:53
That will be an uphill battle. JAR did specify a certain acceptable risk level with regards to epilepsy. However, as I read the text, an existing state of epilepsy is not accepted - with or without medication. I'll mail you what I have on JAR and neurology.

Rob_L
1st Mar 2001, 23:38
I take it you are referring to the new National PPL?

If so, does this count as a JAA licence or CAA? If it's the CAA, then if they've said the medical standards are the same as for a driving licence, surely they would have to honour this? Though actually I think it was an HGV licence standard, with ordinary car licence standard for solo flying only if you don't meet the above.

But I do know the CAA is paranoid about epilepsy, and also about what they interpret as epilepsy. I know of someone they tried to ground even though he'd never had a seizure, and even passed the flicker test of the EEG.

Let us know how you get on.

Tocsin
4th Mar 2001, 15:46
NPPL _proposed_ medical classes are as for driving. N.B. nothing in legislation yet!

Group 1 (normal driving standards) should allow for solo flying (no passengers).

Group 2 (professional driving) should allow up to 3 passengers - but that would require 10 years without seizures or medication.

There is info on the Flyer website, and detailed standards for driving on the DVLA website.

Hope that helps!

BenHK
5th Mar 2001, 14:55
Thanks for all the help

Things are looking a lot more promising than I could possibly imagined.
I have spoken to a CAA doctor and the DVLA, who have advised me to wait until the legislation is actually in place, but cannot see any problem with me getting back my PPL (although probably limited for a year or so - i.e. no passengers). Looks like it could be a long time before I am able to get an ATPL.
DVLA unable to give any info as regards flying.
I will keep you posted as and when I recieve any further info/good news

Cheers

Ben