PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Medical...whats it like?

Eagle 1
15th Jan 2001, 23:34
basicly all i want to know is what is tested on the RAF medical, also, how fit do you have to be? thanx
Eagle 1

eden
16th Jan 2001, 00:28
Not had one recently but - as a small tip, if you are asked whether you have EVER had hayfever, allergies or exzema ....just say no!!!! If you suffer chronically(however) it might be wise to say something:

1. because it is bound to be on your civvy doc's med records
2. because you shouldn't lie about anything especially as an aspiring upstanding and honourable officer.

But if you had it slightly and it only happens on the odd occasion .......you never had the problem OK.

By why of disclaimer - I am not telling you to lie but to be conservative with the truth.

A good phrase that solves many a medical uncertainty is .."not to the best of my knowledge Doc"

The initial medical is very strict and there is no leeway on many issues. However, if you are turned down on a minor point don't take NO for the answer. Get a 2nd opinion and consider approachng the RN Central Air medical Board to get their Aeromedically trained doc's to give their view.

Happy hunting in the world of the scablifters!! All the breast!

A

Aeroneer
19th Jan 2001, 18:28
Had one two weeks ago for UAS

Divided into four parts:
Eyesight test

Hearing test - standard. In the end you hear sounds that don't exist !

Measurements - shoulder to finger tip reach,
height, knee height(sitting), and buttock to foot length. One girl failed when I was there because her arms were 2 cm too short !! You also have to squeeze a drop for urine sample at this stage.

Examination by RAF Doctor - blood pressure, heart, reflex, lung capacity and cough test!!
You have NEVER had hayfever, asthma etc !

May also be ECG + EEG but I didn't need them for UAS

Hope this helps and Good Luck
S