PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew Shafted

crwjerk
17th Mar 2010, 03:43
CX " Hourly " cabin crew have just had their swap policy changed so that they will not be able to swap to reduce their Flying hours Below the Minimum 70 hours that they are paid for. Another morale boosting move invented by a bean counter.
Do the pilots have to " watch this space?"

Harbour Dweller
17th Mar 2010, 04:42
CX has suspended the implementation of new swapping guidelines for cabin
crew.

The company backed down due to massive complaints from Cabin Crew.

Stand together for something you believe in and results can be achieved. Lets see the same drive from the AOA & the pilot body... :ok:

AD POSSE AD ESSE
17th Mar 2010, 05:53
In the meantime, let me repeat that the new guidelines were designed simply to close a loophole that had resulted in a growing number of crew swapping below the 70 hour minimum guarantee.

Yeah right! What this slimeball is actually trying to say is that the savings would have earned him a HUGE bonus...while he watched as our boys and girls earning peanuts already would be screwed over even more:yuk:

A nice "thank you" from management for helping the company out when the sky was falling last year, what a bunch a spineless snakes!

Good on the cabin crew for threatening a "strike over Easter as a last resort" as per the article in the SCMP today!:ok:

Ex Cathedra
17th Mar 2010, 06:27
Kudos to the cabin crew!

Seems we could learn a thing or two from them in terms of dealing with management...

hongkongpilot
17th Mar 2010, 07:00
Do the pilots have to " watch this space?"

The contracts are very different. Cx doesn't want to pay extra. I don't think we need to worry about it.

geh065
18th Mar 2010, 05:05
Moral of the story is to get the cabin crew to fight our battles for us!! The only way we'll win...

crewsunite
18th Mar 2010, 23:03
SCMP
Cathay reconsiders attendant swap rule

Cathay Pacific Airways (SEHK: 0293) has suspended a policy restricting the swapping of shifts by flight attendants. The airline said the decision, coming a day after the attendants' union threatened industrial action, was made because it did not want to disrupt the lifestyle of its crew. The policy would have required attendants to work at least 70 hours a month before swapping with colleagues. Austin Chiu

We need to hire one of them to help us. Or be very nice to them and they can threaten CX for our benefit at times. etc...

Anyway well done to them. :ok:
You got to nip things in the butt straightaway, unlike us!

The Wraith
19th Mar 2010, 02:25
Well done the Cabin Crew, and their union.
They could certainly show us pilots and our union a thing or two.
I seem to remember not long ago being polled by the AOA as to whether we thought the unions should merge, or at least work more closely together....AOA, DPA and FAU. As usual, it was just a poll, nothing at all was ever heard after or ever came of it.
Anyway, good to see at least the CC can stand up for their rights against the school bully. We never will.:ugh:

The Management
19th Mar 2010, 07:50
We will not be held at ransom.

To My Bonus.

The Management.

The Wraith
19th Mar 2010, 12:14
Hey Management,
I hear that cash is king when it comes to not being someone's BIATCH in the slammer! You might want to save some of that bonus up!!!!
:D

Neptunus Rex
19th Mar 2010, 13:42
Mr Management,
:...held to ransom."
English is not your strong suit, eh?
Are you by chance from the Antipodes, or, even worse, one of the older colonies?

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/kangaroo.gif

Capt Toss Parker
19th Mar 2010, 13:57
You're quite correct Neptunes Rex, the biggest deluded imbeciles are from down under ....

ME!

BlueEng
20th Mar 2010, 14:07
Tell me if I am missing anything, but the company asking CC to work actual hours they are contracted to before swapping to possibly reduce hours, but not below what they will get paid for....this would seem reasonable. The company I work for requires that I work the full 43 hours per week, yes, per week, not 70 per month. You do the math! What is wrong with a business expecting an employee to actually work for their salary?? In the press cuttings I have seen, it would appear that some unscrupulous crew are swapping regularly to get paid for hours NOT worked. In the real world they would be sacked.

raven11
21st Mar 2010, 00:59
Blue Eng

Ahhh, Envy...one of the seven deadly sins.

Your response is typical of those who know little, or nothing, of aviation.

The 70 hours worked are flying hours. Factor in another 150 hours for various other time consuming aspects of the job such as admin days, office days, days and nights spent jet-lagged in a hotel room on the other side of the world, eighteen hours minimum rest in a 10 foot by 10 foot cubicle (I mean hotel room) before climbing back on board. Then days spent, back at home, jet-lagged, recovering from, yet another, seemingly endless, flight to the other side of the planet....and you'll find flight crew work far more hours, and spend far more time away from their homes and families than people like you who live in the "real-world" (9 to 5, home every weekend , as well as several hundred official Hong Kong statutory holidays off as well!).

Tell us Blue Eng, what's it feel like to walk around alert and fully rested? What's it feel like to be home every night with your family, or to be able to plan, with certainty, family activities on all those long weekends.....

What’s it feel like to work only 40 hours a week!!!

Near Miss
21st Mar 2010, 01:31
And lets not forget great duties like the MNL or TPE Split. What is it, 13-14 hours duty, for less than 4 hours of flying? We really should be paid something for the duty period as well. And don't get me started on unpaid reserve! :mad:

The main problem I see is, other than cabin crew at simply not paid enough for what they have to do and put up with, is the fact that they have no "lifestyle" choices. They can not request flights (unless they get their one joker request by not calling in sick for the whole year). They can not choose between "compact" and "super compact". They can't even nominate if they want to do heaps of day flights (to allow them to be home with their young children), or lots of longer layovers (so they get more days off afterwards to commute). Not that there are many decent layovers as the base crews see to those (BKK crew doing MEL flights even).

So I completely understand why they are so angry. Wouldn't you be?

cpt777
21st Mar 2010, 04:05
Flying Hours is NOT equal to Duty Hours. The media has been cleverly exploiting this by publishing numbers that bewilder the ignorant (which unfortunately are the great majority of public) all the time. My own circle of friends use to think it's atrocious that we are that "highly" paid based on the contractual hours that we work.. Till you list all the sacrifices and stresses that they never thought of, and the one thing that I always try to highlight, would be the above fact and we DO NOT work 2 1/2 hours a day on average!!
Management should be graceful enough to know that swaps and flight changes done individually are for good reason. Lowering of one's hours mean upping of another. What's wrong with that if workload is shared willingly, and employees are happy? Well I guess the latter is something that irks the bean counters too much, and I too have forgotten that graciousness is only an academic word during management courses.
Good job there CX cabin crew, proud of you to say the least.

wongsuzie
21st Mar 2010, 04:33
Guess what they will say: ''hey that's the deal worker bees, can't hack it? 10000 ppl waiting to join!''

at half the cost too..

makintw
21st Mar 2010, 05:03
CC shafted?? All these words of support....

Oops, slipped into the wrong thread - thought this was about the BA CC :E

Slayed
21st Mar 2010, 10:12
They were sucessful and avoided the shafting because they are a Union. Which is more than can be said for the AOA.

SMOC
21st Mar 2010, 12:21
Remember when you see the abbreviation AOA substitute it with Pilots of Cathay Pacific

Pogie
21st Mar 2010, 20:55
Gee, I wish I could swap away all of my flying so that I could work 30 hours and get paid for 70. Most CC did not abuse the system, but some did. If you swap down to 30 hours, then you should get paid for 30 hours. Period! I'm surprised CX didn't try to close that loophole a long time ago.

As far as them being a stronger union than us... true, they are -- and kudos to them. But, the reality is that it's easier for them because they're not afraid to lose their low-paying job. We on the other hand, worry about the future and not next month's roster. We realize that if we f$%k it up and lose our job, we won't be able to make up for it in the long run. We're too scared to take the risk. Management knows this and is quick to take advantage of it.

I don't think that the CC have as many different payscales/conditions/etc. as we do. Pilots think about 1 person. I'd take the risk and go on strike over this tomorrow, but I know I'd be a party of one and would just end up losing my job.

Capt Toss Parker
22nd Mar 2010, 00:05
When it come to shafting I am the MASTER , I have been shafting people most of my career.

But I do need to make an apology.

TB a nice south African bloke was one of the few decent aviators who had a Porsche like me, we used to go on drives from time to time and he used to kiss my ass in fear that one day he may get me on a check.

TB invited me round for dinner and drinks to watch the F1 one night, we had a nice time but I got a little boozed up during dinner.

TB had an early start the next day and went to bed early, this left me and his wife on the couch.

I was feeling tipsy and a bit randy so I threw myself on his wife because I thought she was giving me the eye. Just like Bert Reynolds my mustache was sparkling and my gold chain were showing - how could a married woman resist me?

TB and I had a falling out after I put one on his wife, I told him how dare he under estimate the pulling power of a Caribou pilot that never made fast jets!

TB ended up leaving his job, he was uncertain how his career on the fleet would go when he came up for command. Poor old TB made up excuses like he wanted to do real flying and get back to his roots but the truth is he left because of me....:confused:

TB I'm sorry mate you shouldn't have left your job because of me we could have worked things out. I would have given you a good ERAS report out of guilt for my wrong doings.

I'm just a sad little man with no friends, your wife was giving me mixed signals and I couldn't resist.

Sorry dude I apologise for my devious actions :eek:

SMOC
22nd Mar 2010, 02:35
Check this out :ok:

YouTube - Flight Attendant Union EGM emergency meeting 19 March, 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0oLoDMgMQ)

Can anyone translate it? (Far Lok?)

freightdog188
22nd Mar 2010, 06:39
Cathay Easter strike looms, BA woes worsen

Cathay Easter strike looms, BA woes worsen - The Standard (http://thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=96074&sid=27483371&con_type=1&d_str=20100322&fc=1)

747-8
22nd Mar 2010, 07:57
I don't think so! The majority of cabin crew are not affected by this change it is only the hourly paid crew. The company, not surprisingly, object to this section of the crew community being paid a guaranteed 70 hours but swopping away most of their roster and flying only 20 or 30 hours. The crew accepting the extra work may then earn overtime. So not only are the company paying twice for the same work but at premium rates for some of it. We can't swop into overtime which stops this happening with our roster. Obviously someone drafting the contract in ISD didn't see this loophole leaving it open, wonder if they're still employed. This is merely a case of some cabin crew abusing the goodwill of the company. They guaranteed the hourly paid crew 70 hours pay to protect them in any downturn not to allow time off for second jobs and swops into overtime. Very few things are worth striking over and this doesn't come even close.

SMOC
22nd Mar 2010, 08:59
Cabin crew at Cathay threaten to demonstrate
Flight attendants oppose shortening of rest period
20 March 2010
South China Morning Post

Cathay Pacific Airways flight attendants have hit out at the airline's plan to cut staff layover times for flights to Milan from 48 to 28 hours, saying it will affect service and safety.

The airline's Flight Attendants' Union has threatened to protest on Thursday if management does not meet its members before noon on Wednesday about reinstating the present arrangement and withdrawing a separate policy that restricts shift-swapping by attendants.

Becky Kwan Siu-wah, vice-chairwoman of the union, said the airline announced a cut in layover time for staff on a quarter of flights to Milan from March 28, when the carrier begins a direct service to the Italian city.

"We have been enjoying at least 48 hours of outport resting time if we fly to cities with a time difference of six hours or more. This is a consensus between us and the company," Kwan said. Usually, attendants work a five-day roster if they fly to and from Europe, she said. The new arrangement would shorten the trip to four days by reducing the rest period.

She said the move would not only affect the income and rest time of staff but also posed a threat to the quality of safety and service.

"We're afraid that this will apply to other long-haul flights in the future, too," Kwan said.

The complaint came two days after the airline suspended indefinitely a new policy requiring attendants to work at least 70 hours a month before they can swap shifts with colleagues. The airline said some attendants had abused the roster system and pocketed a minimum salary despite working less than 70 hours. The new policy was put on hold after attendants threatened to strike during the Easter break.

About 500 staff attended a union meeting yesterday to discuss the issues. They requested a meeting with chief executive Tony Tyler, urging him to withdraw the policy.

They also expressed concern that management had deployed Bangkok-based crew to work on flights from Hong Kong to Melbourne under a three-month trial.

A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said that since the airline would launch four flights to Milan per week, one would have to operate on the four-day pattern.

"We've got 7,097 flight attendants, and it takes nine to 11 years for a flight attendant to get this four-day Milan schedule once," she said, adding changes would be made when the route was up and running.

She said the airline had only 24 cabin crew based in Thailand, and the impact on Hong Kong staff would be minimal. She said the union had been approached for a meeting.

N1 Vibes
22nd Mar 2010, 09:26
Article says cabin crew 'sit-in' at CX City on Thursday. Best they get a truck load of anti-wrinkle cream and an SK2 stall set-up in the Crew Lounge then, so that CX can profit from this united front!

Johnny Drama
22nd Mar 2010, 09:39
Well done to the the "girls' for sticking to their convictions but hard to swallow the safety implications of a reduced 2 day jolly in MXP as justification for it when they consistently get an extra day of 'rest' on every Long Haul pattern they do with us.

Perhaps we are too tired to fly after only 24 hours off and just don't appreciate it?

747-8
22nd Mar 2010, 11:02
I used to think Becky was pretty switched on but now she appears to be infected with the BASSA disease.

broadband circuit
22nd Mar 2010, 22:54
hard to swallow the safety implications of a reduced 2 day jolly in MXP as justification for it when they consistently get an extra day of 'rest' on every Long Haul pattern they do with us.

Firstly, the FAU is worried that this is just the thin edge of the wedge, (good call I say!) and that all Euro trips will drop to 48hrs rest.

Secondly, just because we only get 24hrs, doesn't mean they should. What sometimes mitigates the jet lag effect for us is having based crew, when a common-sense captain can use the different acclimatisations to manage the sleep.

Whilst I'm sure you've seen a few slackers in the cabin that don't pull their weight (more senior rather than junior I'd guess), most of the girls need the extra night downroute. At least we have the sanctuary of the cockpit & "controlled rest". They are on their feet for most of the flight, and when they're not in the bunk, they are at the beckon-call of the punters.

Johnny Drama
23rd Mar 2010, 01:18
As I said, 'well done for sticking to their convictions', unlike the AOA.

Was not accusing anyone of being lazy, junior or otherwise and I would certainly not desire to deal with the 'great unwashed' for a single minute and wholeheartedly respect the job they have to do but a 10 hour sector to MXP requiring 48 hours off to mitigate the jet lag?

I do many NA flight's with 4 HK based crew, utilising common sense rest for my crew and we still all feel like **** on the way back to HK after our 24 hours off. Maybe we should be pushing for an extra day off when no based pilot's are on the FD? Maybe they will give back the balance of the 13th month they thieved?

Bottom line is that they have historically achieved and maintained longer layover patterns than us because the company respects the unity of the FAU and they have absolutely no respect for us and get away with whatever they want.

Good luck to them!

747-8
23rd Mar 2010, 02:48
Think you're being a bit naive here BC this is about money not rest.

SMOC
23rd Mar 2010, 03:38
Well at least they're standing up for what they care about, should they just give it up 747-8 :ugh:

broadband circuit
23rd Mar 2010, 07:29
Partly agree 747-8. However, I think there is some depth to this issue.

For the girls, it probably is mostly about money.

However, for me, it is about rest. Not so much for the 1 pattern a week to Milan where they get 24hrs, but in a few years time, when the thin edge of the wedge is now all the way in, and every pattern to Europe is 24hr rest for the girls. Cumulative effects can be quite insidious.

When I order an evacuation, I'd really like to have alert cabin crew activating the slides, and getting the punters out. On a personal, and admittedly selfish front, I want the girls at the door, or doors, right behind the cockpit to be alert.

wongsuzie
23rd Mar 2010, 07:43
Good point during evac in TPE, the Sarong clad girls burst out crying.
Pax had to scream at them on how to open an aircraft door.

N1 Vibes
23rd Mar 2010, 08:04
Would that be the same A330 flight a few years back, that diverted to TPE due to smoke/electrical burning above the flt deck door (caused by an excellent installation job for the door lock by HAECO). Where the cabin crew, who were unable to tackle the problem with an extinguisher, called the flt crew in tears on the interphone, begging them to come out and extinguish the burning wires, cos they were sh!tting themselves?

Feel safe with the CC right behind you!?

wongsuzie
23rd Mar 2010, 08:18
No, this was a Boeing 744 versus excavator[s] at TPE by our rivals down south. i.e 'Sarong Clad' girls.

N1 Vibes
23rd Mar 2010, 08:43
Ahh, got my split skirts and sarong's mixed-up!

747-8
23rd Mar 2010, 10:24
"Well at least they're standing up for what they care about, should they just give it up 747-8"

Not sure what you mean by give it up - do they currently have the right to determine crewing patterns? If so my apologies they shouldn't give that up. Is that what you meant?

Regarding outport rest didn't you know the majority of the CC, with a few notable exceptions, will sleep for the entire slip just waking up now and again to eat the food they brought with them. Seems to me 24 hours sleep is more than enough rest to perform any subsequent duty in an exemplary manner.

RugbyRugby
24th Mar 2010, 13:13
i call BS...
the crew don't sleep the whole time... you are ignorant to think that...

4 days here, 4 days there... next thing they are on AOA rosters..

good for them for defending their rights.....

"Regarding outport rest didn't you know the majority of the CC, with a few notable exceptions, will sleep for the entire slip just waking up now and again to eat the food they brought with them."
747-8.. you poor poor man... trouble relating to the crew... probably a Dumb Aussie ******, or European Trash hauler.... stupid fu$k.......

747-8
24th Mar 2010, 16:36
Sorry but I've been married to one of our "girls" for a very long time and I merely repeat what I'm told.

N1 Vibes
25th Mar 2010, 01:14
And so, the girls with the largest testicles in Cathay City have another win:

Cathay Pacific said early this morning (Thursday, 25 March) that it had cancelled with immediate effect a recently announced guideline relating to arrangements for cabin crew to swap flights with colleagues.

The company has been in discussion on the issue with the Flight Attendants Union (FAU) over the last two days. The talks have not yet reached any conclusion.

General Manager Inflight Services Charlie Stewart-Cox issued a Breaking News alert to the crew community which read as follows:

“After 12 hours of talks on the swapping issue over the last two days with the FAU, we have unfortunately not been able to reach a conclusion at this stage. This is disappointing.

“In the meantime, I am issuing this Breaking News to let you know that the company has cancelled and will not reintroduce the guideline related to swapping below the 70 hours minimum as published on 15 March.

“We have made this decision because we want to reassure you that we have heard the concerns and the importance you placed on this particular issue.

“This is one of the solutions we have been discussing with the FAU over the past two days. Our talks with them continued into the early hours of this morning, and we were willing to continue to obtain a result that would benefit the crew community. We are prepared to continue our discussions with them at a later date.”

CX management rollover at the thought of a sit-in at Cathay City. Ahhhh, diddums Charlie! Did the nasty lady say she was going to rip your conkers off?

coded_messages
25th Mar 2010, 02:12
Well done to the girls on getting yet another win!

Right now I am ashamed to call myself Cockpit Crew :-( I think I shall throw on a skirt and become Cabin Crew, that way I know I will grow some bigger balls!

Shame on us guys at CX :ugh:

hongkongpilot
25th Mar 2010, 02:49
Firstly, the FAU is worried that this is just the thin edge of the wedge, (good call I say!) and that all Euro trips will drop to 48hrs rest.

Secondly, just because we only get 24hrs, doesn't mean they should. What sometimes mitigates the jet lag effect for us is having based crew, when a common-sense captain can use the different acclimatisations to manage the sleep.

Whilst I'm sure you've seen a few slackers in the cabin that don't pull their weight (more senior rather than junior I'd guess), most of the girls need the extra night downroute. At least we have the sanctuary of the cockpit & "controlled rest". They are on their feet for most of the flight, and when they're not in the bunk, they are at the beckon-call of the punters.

Well said BC !
Guys, next time please try to help the CA when you start you rest @10000' until their rest time. U'll have a "good" rest in hotel.:O

HKAforever
25th Mar 2010, 02:56
Right on, FAU! Looks like they indeed have more balls then you CX pilots! Hahaha

2longhk
25th Mar 2010, 04:33
Short memories boys.
When Thick Ric asked for the help of the cockpit crew to do 4 day patterns until more crew were trained on the 340 the proposed time frame was 3 months.
Then we were going back to the 5 day Europe, that was 1995.

Of course, seeing as we were losing a day off down route we would get 654 iso 543 after the pattern. That's right, 6 days off after each long haul, G, no O.

We have given up on all our COS so the cabin crew should stand firm. This will most definitely be the thin end of the wedge.
Only losers use the argument that because I didn't stand up for my contract they should have theirs reduced.

geh065
25th Mar 2010, 06:11
Despite the backdown, the FAU this afternoon are still doing a protest outside CX City. There are police, traffic people as well as TV station vehicles scattered around in preparation. A big red banner has been put up and Findlay is around.

Good job FAU!

Capt Toss Parker
25th Mar 2010, 08:14
I'll be there in my 911 TURBO brill cream in my hair gold chains and a trailer full of hello kitty suit cases.

That's how I roll :ok:

Did you guys know that the Air Force make the best pilots? When you fly with me you'll learn that real quick!

Did you know that I was in the Air Force? Sorry just checking in case I never told you the first 17 times ....... :mad:

Bullethead
25th Mar 2010, 09:01
G'day Toss,

I was just having a look at your website and am thinking about joining. I was wondering though which one of those extra handsome gents in the pictures is you? None seem to be handsome enough so I am puzzled! :8

Fond regards,
BH.

P.S. Didn't ever drive B1-11s in the mighty Airforce did ya?

N1 Vibes
25th Mar 2010, 09:04
CTP,

is it true the rumour that you and TT actually attended the same catholic boy's preparatory school, Rimstone and Winkels, although in different era's? But when it came to the crunch you were a generous giver and TT was not.

Suggesting why TT might like to take so much from the ladies down at The Gay Bar at Cathay City on a Friday night, before going home to strum his guitar strings....

Yours in Wonderment,

N1 Vibes

CodyBlade
25th Mar 2010, 09:30
Airforce type and CRM go together?

joebanana
26th Mar 2010, 11:04
Of course the reaction to the cabin crew swapping guidelines issue was the big news story of the week, though we also received an important honour – the Total Caring Award – that everyone in the Cathay Pacific team should feel proud of.

Proud indeed :yuk:

coolio
3rd Apr 2010, 07:41
FAU has much bigger balls than the AOA will ever have. Already talks in todays paper (SCMP) of cabin crew strike. They just dont F*** around with "talks about talks" etc. They threatten with a strike right away. Take notes ladies

Neptunus Rex
3rd Apr 2010, 08:13
CodyBlade

CRM was alive and well in the Air Force long before it even had a name in the airlines. Go on a ten-hour anti-submarine patrol, or a live Search and Rescue mission, with an Orion crew and you will see CRM in practice, with the minimum of fuss.
Of course, the venerable Tosser did not have the singular advantage of a Maritime upbringing, as he was on Caribous. He did, however, fly with hairy flight engineers who should have knocked some sense into him.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/a043.gif

747-8
3rd Apr 2010, 13:56
coolio what's your exact point?

What's going on here is a completely unwarranted threat to withdraw labour. Why would they go on strike? What is it they want? Watch the Utube video of Becky and you will be no wiser. Bizarre bizarre bizarre!

They apparently require the right to work 20 hours but be paid for 70 hours whilst their friends fly their other 50 hours on overtime - CX thus paying twice for 50 hours with most of it at overtime rates - do you think that's OK?

The mere threat of strike action will result in huge numbers of cancelled bookings so rather than support these militants surely you should try and dissuade them from this suicidal plot or don't you care about job security - yes job security which unbelievably is one of the reasons they are quoting for taking strike action - go figure!

Saturn
3rd Apr 2010, 16:04
It's really about the abuses the company continues to place on it's front line employees. The F/A's have simply had enough!

I am quite disappointed in our AOA as they continue to do nothing except to write letters and negotiate with these criminals. Yes, two of our managers had to speak to the police recently about breaking the law!

Things are coming to a head and I'll say it again, we should join them! We won't though and our GC will continue to watch our T&C's errode and our jobs be given away etc etc etc...

Coming soon to a theatre near you, AFTL's and RP10. "We need to have variations to the AFTL's to fly HKG-ANC-ORD-AMS-DXB-HKG"! We should say no but the AOA will sign off on this with more false promises. They will then write a letter after the fact protesting over what they have just signed.
Becky might be looney but so is that Findlay character.

bin-gou_bin-gou
3rd Apr 2010, 16:08
again ..... well done FAU:ok:

Saturn
3rd Apr 2010, 22:01
YouTube - FAU call for EGM on Apr 05 (English) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpGpKTc0nNU)

:ok:

Liam Gallagher
4th Apr 2010, 01:41
"I am quite disappointed in our AOA as they continue to do nothing except to write letters and negotiate with these criminals. Yes, two of our managers had to speak to the police recently about breaking the law"

There is a world of difference between being interviewed by the police and charged with an offence. Then of course there is a universe of difference between being charged and convicted. For you to attach the label "criminal" there would have to be a conviction. I think the phrase 'innocent until proven guilty" applies.

Still you may learn all about these silly and tiresome legal phrases should one or both of these 2 gentleman decide to issue proceedings against pprune for libel. I am sure pprune will protect your true identity for a while at least.:O

coolio
4th Apr 2010, 01:54
747-8 my exact point is - I dont care what the FAU is fighting for, as a matter of fact I think the swapping for 20 hours is not right. my point is when the FAU get pushed they are not affraid to push back. we could learn allot from this approach to Cathay management. now go back and keep worrying about your job.

N1 Vibes
4th Apr 2010, 08:48
If the FAU are looking for 'public sympathy' should they go on a work-to-rule or a strike of some sort. Then I'm afraid that Becky Kwans 'vague' video doesn't give a lot of clues. All I got from the video was:

- Please come to our meeting Mr Manager (we need to feel important/special)
- We don't want to sort out your roster swapping cock-up, cos' it was really good for us ($$$$$$$)
- Uh, that's it - I couldn't get any more...

Maybe they are unhappy about a lot of other things, but they aren't exactly hammering those 'other' highly significant and important points home in their 'publicity'. Maybe it was more clear in the Cantonese version. Of course I forgot the Milan route issue....:rolleyes:

Open up the gates of hell - incoming!

Regards,

N1 Vibes

Sqwak7700
4th Apr 2010, 09:45
I fully support the cabin crew in their fight. We have all lost financially in the past few years, cabin crew are no different. The company has imposed various wage cuts, wether it be through lack of 13th month or productivity increases, that were not fair and have led to the employees getting less money.

So regardless of wether it is fair or not, I fully support them for standing up and fighting for it. They clearly have more spine and foresight than our ranks, and for that, we should be proud of them. Can't believe we have some idiots here who would side with the company. :yuk:

N1 Vibes
4th Apr 2010, 10:59
Do not deny they have spine (sp#nk)
Do not think it's unfair (only stupid the company couldn't see it)
Do not side with the company

....only want to know what specifically it is they are going to war about. Because so far the points they have made don't include:

imposed various wage cuts, wether it be through lack of 13th month or productivity increases, that were not fair and have led to the employees getting less money

Even the elusive "it" to which you refer. What is "it" that they really aren't happy with that will win the hearts of pax, when they are stuck waiting for cabin crew ro do their 30 min cabin check, or stuck cos there are no cabin crew....

Regards,

N1 Vibes

Saturn
4th Apr 2010, 16:09
Hey Liam, just some law things you should read about. I did NOT mention anyone by name firstly. Secondly, the word "criminals" can be used in a number of contexts be it moral, financial or legal.

Having a name like Liam, plagerised from Oasis, would mean you are British, so I assume you knew all this already.:ugh:

Rock on hard FAU!

minglestar
4th Apr 2010, 20:09
I think the cabin crew have many more issues with CX management than retaining the current swapping policy. They are angry about so many other issues, and have been short-changed by CX for so many years, that this change to swapping policy is finally the straw that breaks the camel's back. I doubt that the FAU would wage war with the company over the swapping policy that affects only a small percentage of its members. There must be more behind their strong, united front against CX management.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is ridiculous that you can abuse the system to work 20hrs and getting pay 70hrs. And on top of that, the company would have to pay another crew member 50hrs twice plus overtime. However, I also think CX management will not miss the first opportunity to advantage of the employees (pilots, cabin crew, ground staff). As such, I support the FAU in their stance against the management.

N1 Vibes
4th Apr 2010, 21:09
TVB News interview with FAU Rep Dora Lai:

Seems they are ready to roll-over and have their bellies tickled like any lap dog. As long as a manager appears at their EGM(Ego Gently Massaged), they seem to be happy with the agreement that is on the table.....

Still no mention of any long-term gripes etc. I think that actually I have OVER-estimated the power of the FAU. Todays meeting stands to prove me wrong.

Regards,

N1 Vibes

hongkongpilot
5th Apr 2010, 04:53
Guys, who is the chairman of FAU ?
Is there any term - "overtime" in their contract ?

As you guys think everyone should respect what he/she has signed, I think they are just fighting for their right. No need to win the public (or your) support. Who are you btw ?:oh:

N1 Vibes
5th Apr 2010, 07:25
The contract/terms that the cabin crew signed up to originally was a fcuk up by CX. Since CX didn't specify clearly in the contract/terms that no CC could swap below their minimum hours, it just 'stated' what their minimum hours were.

And the agreement that potentially they are about to sign, is just bringing the cc back on a path that leads to no swapping below 76 hrs a month I'm guessing.

All of the above swooning and fawning over the fact that the cc might also be fighting for bigger things, is not really stacking up with this 'great leap backwards'.

Who am I - someone with a pair of eyes...

Incoming!

water check
16th Apr 2010, 05:23
...the girls know how to fight...