PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa Tech Training?

RomanEin
16th Mar 2010, 21:04
Hello everyone,

I am interested in TB1.3 training and looking through my options. I've found a list of accredited basic training organizations here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/Part147%20Basic%20Master%20v54%2012-2009.pdf) but I was wondering why Lufthansas training is so damn expensive compared to the rest? are there any real benefits over others?

Also im quite amazed that there were no approved organizations outside UK. I found a foreign list here (http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/c/doc/Org_Appro/Foreign_EASA_Part_147.pdf), but are there any in EU apart from UK?

I am about to contact Perth College and City of Bristol school, could anyone provide some comments on either of those? Does it really matter where i get my basic TB1.3 training? As far as i understood its all about getting type ratings later on.

At this moment im doing 1st year Aerospace Technologies course at Coventry Uni, and after consulting some of my tutors i realized that graduating it will get me cat C alone, and even this will require additional training and experience. So i decided to drop and switch to specialized aircraft maintenance training. Tell me if im going the wrong route?

Dodo56
17th Mar 2010, 08:24
Graduating won't even get you Cat C without a substantial experience input and to get the experience you need to be actively involved in maintenance, which . If you do want to gain a B licence you will need 5 years working as a mechanic regardless what qualifications you have behind you. Many people find this the hardest thing to get started and it's a real catch-22 hurdle.

If you haven't already done so, read the ELGD: ELGD | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=777)

Bear in mind the nature of the work you want to do will determine the training you take now. If you want to have dirty hands and fix aeroplanes the licensed engineer route is the one to take and is akin to an apprenticeship for those who are arguably not graduate calibre (despite their other evident talents). Graduate courses are best taken by those more suited to design, development and "office support" (a description that doesn't do justice to the range of activities). There is not generally much overlap between the two fields.

Regarding your original question my thoughts are that if an organisation can offer part-147 courses it makes the grade and there's little point paying extra. Consider the 'academic' institutions rather than airline part-147s as these are geared towards taught modular courses rather than limited numbers of sponsored apprenticeships.

Landing Lamp
17th Mar 2010, 13:40
Hi RomanEin having sat my last 7 mods with LRTT and passing them all, I would say they are the best training centre you will find in the UK at the moment. I went to Bristol College for 2 days and walked out on the 2nd day as their notes and class training was P**S POOR. The knowlage you gain with LRTT far outweighs the cost.
It doesnt really matter where you do your training just aslong as their Part 147 approved and you pass all the exams within 5 years.
dodo56 is spot on, you get a cat c at the end of your degree but you cant use it because you have zero time on live aircraft.
My advice would be to pass your degree, get a job as a mech (if you can) and start your B1.3 mods ASAP!

Hope that helps:ok:

ericferret
17th Mar 2010, 14:07
I did several modules last year with LRTT passed all with no complaints.

You get what you pay for.

One of the modules I wanted was not available in the time frame so I booked it with AST Perth. On mentioning this in class I was swiftly advised by others on the course who had direct experience at Perth not to bother.

I did the module with LRTT who were running the course as a one off for an operator.

The only issue I have with LRTT training and this actually applies to all the provided commercial training in the UK is that it has a very narrow focus. Inevitable when you consider the costs involved. However it conforms to the EASA syllabus

At least LRTT try to impart knowledge and do not just hand out loads of
"revision questions" wink wink!!!!!!

BAe146s make me cry
17th Mar 2010, 16:13
LRTT are highly recommended. I did a few modules with them a couple of years ago. They taught the subject, the exam matched the content of course- enough said. Examination stem's are far more unambiguous and fair than many Basic MTO efforts (including AST, Bristol, KLM, Flybe & the UKCAA's own databank). Even B1's were passing LRTT's Mod13 last year evidently ;)

BAe

moamer
18th Apr 2010, 15:33
Hi
I am going to LRTT for module 12 , and this is my first time to flay to UK can you tell me about the area whear to stay and the most important is how they will teach us i mean did theay have a qustion bank or the instructor he will hilight the important thing which will come to the exame ???
you can email me on
[email protected]
Best Regards