PDA

View Full Version : Incendiary motherboard

A A Gruntpuddock
16th Mar 2010, 17:33
Shortly after fitting a new, high-powered graphics card to my computer I had a few problems with the card cutting out and the computer re-booting.

I checked (again) that the card was seated properly, the external power cable connected properly and the fan turning. All seemed ok so I assumed that it was a driver problem.

The computer then ran for about 20 minutes before switching off.

I touched the card to check that it was not overheating then switched the computer back on again to continue downloading new drivers. Fortunately I left the side cover off.

About 1 minute later I noticed a warm, flickering light reflecting off the back of the case and looked inside to find the motherboard on fire around the power connector.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

frostbite
16th Mar 2010, 17:37
Sounds like your posh new card has overloaded the power supply.

A A Gruntpuddock
16th Mar 2010, 17:47
Should have mentioned that I fitted an 800w power supply about a year ago.

The computer was still working when I hit the mains power switch, so the power supply was still operating ok

green granite
16th Mar 2010, 18:01
Sounds like a loose connection in the plug/skt causing it to overheat, it will need re-soldering and the skt pins closing up slightly to cure the problem. If it's burnt the tracks then it is not for the faint hearted to repair.

bbrunton
16th Mar 2010, 21:44
Some graphics cards draw so much power they have a seperate power connector on the graphics card itself and a corresponding cable on the power supply needs to be plugged into the graphic card plug.

Maybe you did not notice the plug? I wonder if your power supply has the correct cable and connector?

Bill.

tony draper
16th Mar 2010, 22:45
Some graphic cards even have a external power supply,I am running a fairly top end Graphics card (well top end three years ago)with a separate fan powered by 12v from the computer PSU which I have just noticed is 350 watt no probs.
:)