PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Pay in Asia

Cruiseclimb
16th Mar 2010, 17:32
Can anyone tell me what a corporate Captain would make in Asia per month, specifically Indonesia (most likely Jakarta) and Singapore? The equipment is turboprop up to medium cabin jets.

Cubs2jets
16th Mar 2010, 20:31
Local or expat?

Cruiseclimb
17th Mar 2010, 09:05
I'll be an expat. I understand in Indonesia, the DCGA has ruled that all expats will get the same pay as locals. I looked up what some of the commercial guys are making, and it's not good. It's around $3,000-$4,000 USD/month for a 737 Capt. I was wondering if corporate was any different, and what other benefits (housing etc..) are normally considered.

Cubs2jets
17th Mar 2010, 13:19
The first thing to consider is that there is NOT a whole lot of "turboprop and medium cabin jet" activity in the region mainly due to geographical distances and poor (compared to western standards) general aviation infrastructure. This is not to say there is none, but what there is is largely crewed by locals on local salaries.

Have a glance at the Singapore CPL holders thread and see just how many local Singaporeans there are to fill the non-existant "turboprop and medium cabin jet" positions in Singapore. There are jobs of this description in Malaysia, but a lot of locals to fill the seats. Thailand has few positions and the Thai DGCA is protective of locals. Indonesia is similar and at any rate all these positions would be filled on local conditions and salary because there are locals that can and will fill the seats.

Many of us have had dreams of "striking out to the hinter lands and making a fortune". Those days are fading as locals gain the skills to fill the seats. I was fortunate enough to have a couple lucrative "medium cabin jet" contracts in the region, but the writing was on the wall with the principles: Why pay expat salaries and conditions when I can find local?

Now, if you had a special "skill" like being an experienced Gulfstream, Global or BBJ pilot with international experience THEN you might find a lucrative contract like you are thinking.

I don't want to discourage you from trying, but want to insert a dose of reality into your search. Good luck with your search!

Asia can be a wonderful place to live. I'd love to go back.

C2j

Cruiseclimb
17th Mar 2010, 19:36
Thanks for the advice on the region and the reality dose.. I have a job offer already with two different companies, and would like to know what is the norm for the area when we sit down to talk pay (one of the companies is asking how much I expect)... So if you have an idea, that'd help. I like Asia as well and just want to make the best choice.