PDA

View Full Version : Another example of tolerance

sheikmyarse
16th Mar 2010, 08:02
Dubai: A couple who claimed they kissed on the cheek in a restaurant while under the influence of alcohol face one month in jail and deportation.
A 24-year-old British man, who works in Dubai, and a 25-year-old woman, visiting from the UK, will appear before the Appeals Court next week, seeking acquittal or reduction of the primary judgment.
The Dubai Misdemeanours Court sentenced the Britons to one month in jail followed by deportation for kissing and touching at a restaurant in Jumeirah Beach Residence (JBR).

Do's and don'ts: UAE Public Decency Law
Presiding Judge Ebrahim Khalil Abu Shamma, who handed out the primary verdict, also fined them Dh1,000 each for consuming alcohol.
Prosecutors charged the couple with kissing and drinking alcohol, after an Emirati mother claimed her children saw the man kiss the woman on her lips around 2am in the restaurant.
When the defendants appeared in court they denied kissing on the lips and said they kissed each other on the cheek. However, they pleaded guilty to consuming alcohol.
Court records said a 38-year-old Emirati woman testified that she spotted the woman walking into the restaurant along with four men.
"My daughter told me that the accused were kissing on the mouth. Then I spotted them doing so myself. I also saw them touching each other, as they were seated two to three metres away from our table. A number of customers witnessed the scene as well," claimed the Emirati in her statement.
A forensic laboratory report showed that the defendants had 22mg/dl of alcohol in their blood.
Sources close to the case told Gulf News that the couple appealed the primary judgment.
Expatriates
"The couple is seeking to acquit themselves or to win a reduced punishment," said the source.
Prosecutors asked the court to implement articles 121 and 356 of the Federal Penal Law.
Article 121 stipulates that any expatriate suspect, who gets convicted for a crime related to honour or modesty [such as kissing, groping, hugging, cuddling etc…] faces compulsory deportation.
According to the same article, a court can instantly deport a suspect for a misdemeanour crime instead of imposing a jail sentence.
The verdict sheet of the primary judgment said: "The court concluded that the man kissed and touched the woman's leg and shoulder in the restaurant in JBR.
"She consented to what he did. The court deemed their behaviour as public indecency and a breach of modesty and honour.
"The man had asked the court to hear the statements of the Emirati woman's children but the court disregarded his plea because her statement was enough. Besides she had also seen the crime herself."
Presiding Judge Abu Shamma handed out a lenient punishment as per articles 99 and 100 of the Federal Penal Law.

Dubaian
16th Mar 2010, 09:13
There are reports that it was the Emirati woman's children who shopped the pair. Now I don't have a problem with someone having a drink and a cuddle at 2a.m. in a restaurant. But I have more of a problem with kids being there at that time !!!

Different strokes for different folks. DXB really needed more bad publicity.

Payscale
16th Mar 2010, 13:21
Read 7Days. Looks like the mother didnt actually see the kiss after all, but her child saw it, at a restaurant that serves alcohol at 2am....:=
Imagine loosing your job and going to jail over a child's statement about a hug or kiss..
Get scared..get very very scared...:bored:

Bidalot
16th Mar 2010, 14:01
Puffff, every time the same.....what is the problem ? Everybody here knows that if as an expat you are looking for s :mad: t with the locals, you WILL find and get it ! Being unmarried, pi22ed and kissing around at 2 am in a public place will get you in trouble as it screams for local punishment ! Like it or not. Afterwards everybody wonders again on how could that happen.....both can be lucky that they do not bring up that " unmarried " bullsh :mad: t. What did they expect ?

Craic Ore
16th Mar 2010, 14:59
Perhaps Bidalot you should remain under your camel as that is where your intellect belongs.

Bidalot
16th Mar 2010, 15:24
Am wondered about your "kind" response. What is your issue ? Am not at all pro with this issue and local decision but suggest to open your eyes. We got these kind of news aprox every 3-4 months about a brit couple here and an aussie guy there. Stick to the facts that this is not Europe or the US or what ever civilized country but the f :mad: ing ME. And when these guys think that Jumeira is like back at home they finally get the bill to pay. Fact ! We are all not here because we love the culture or the country but to make money as these locals still do not know how to p :mad: ss a hole in the snow but on the other hand we also know ( or should know ) their do's and don'ts. Keep your head down, look at your bank account and in a couple of years we all are going to sit in a nice pool together somewhere outside of the ME, have a beer and a f :mad: ing laugh about these camel drivers. Cheers !

40&80
16th Mar 2010, 15:45
Yea all true..and the company selling you the beer and charging you for the use of the pool in your own country will probably be owned by Arabs having the right to permanent residence there and more rights than yours secured in laws that govern you as a citizen, like the UK these non doms. will arrange their affairs so they pay also much less tax than you or if really smart none at all.
I read it is also all over for the US of A as by 2050 white Americans will be in a minority in their own country...just like the original Red Indians...don't get me started about the trashing of Australia the Abo's.
I see the UK well down the same tubes and read one should get used to foreign immigrant care in the UK in ones old age.
Hopefully I will be well dead by the time the race war shootings starts.
I always tend to look on the bright side of life and trust airline management.
I am feeling particularly optimistic today being fully medicated!

411A
16th Mar 2010, 15:48
Of course, you are quite correct with your comments, Bidalot, however....those that might disagree have their minds (what little they have) stuck in their respective home countries, and likely will never understand, that....it's the locals country, and if you don't like it, leave.

A simple concept to understand.:rolleyes:

sheikmyarse
16th Mar 2010, 15:52
Mate..I believe the sun is already hitting very strong on your head!
WTFing money are you talking about?
In two years you will have saved enough to buy a camel..may be not and your provident fund, if you manage not to get screwed for some silly reason before you can put your hands on it , will never pay for your retirement... not even if you cry!
Wake up mate..any major western carrier pilot makes more money every month than you, has a 14 months salary and on top of that a real pension.
MY gross salary in Europe was way more then my net in EK.
My net in Europe was way more then my net in EK.
EK is a con.
I think you need a refresher course in mathematics.
411A..you are very obedient slave!! Congratulations.

Bidalot
16th Mar 2010, 16:15
Mate, how frustrated are you ???!!! Did you loose too much money in mortage investments when trying to play in the big league ( which by the way is not only your league but neither your stadium ) and now you cry and bother everybody ?? Must be a shame if you can not leave this " great " place whenever you want to....I would have loved to see that you received your refresher in maths months ago.

sheikmyarse
16th Mar 2010, 16:40
Mate ...I happily left EK some times ago and never got involved in the real estate bull**** in Dubai..mate.I left that to the very intelligent and brave EK pilots investors . Leaving it has been by large the best decision of my life. Well..I'm my way to the bar with my wife... think will kiss a lot while having a beer. Enjoy your prison, get along with 411A ..and don't forget to buy yourself a hat is going to be very hoooottt!!

chuckunu
16th Mar 2010, 17:53
This Is a Joke right? A child's interpretation gets someone locked up for a crime
(drinking) that is publicly allowed. I am missing something. Please fill me in on the LAWS that were broken and How can a restaurant sell Booze and not be in trouble if it is illegal?.. and the whole Kissing thing... WTF?

Craic Ore
17th Mar 2010, 05:50
Bidalot
I get the whole 'local' thing....you don't have to explain with a bunch of :mad: In this case it was the woman's child who saw it in a restaurant at 2am!!!! Like I cannot believe the authorities are wasting their time on this one....they are taking the word of a child??????!!! It just gets worse and worse

NG_Kaptain
17th Mar 2010, 19:55
Then why wasn't the mother arrested for having her children out at 2:00 AM at an establishment that serves alcohol?

intaomri
17th Mar 2010, 20:49
I think the local judge should have told the woman off not only for taking her children to such a place , but also for staying up that late too.
And secondly you guys must stand up to the auhtorities and try to protect your ( way of life ) and insist on getting more and more linient
punishments every time you are caught exercising your way 0f life when and where-ever you feel like it. good bless your way of life .;)

411A
18th Mar 2010, 00:35
...must stand up to the auhtorities and try to protect your ( way of life ) and insist on getting more and more linient
punishments every time you are caught exercising your way 0f life when and where-ever you feel like it.

:ugh::ugh: Won't work, I'm afraid.
'Tis their sandbox.

411A
18th Mar 2010, 06:47
Was you bottle fed as a baby?

Wouldn't have made a difference, Blue-Foot, it does not change the facts.
Not in the slightest.

priapism
18th Mar 2010, 10:07
What a cultural ****e hole - how can you people live there?

Wannabe Flyer
18th Mar 2010, 10:30
Steamy text messages land Indian couple in Dubai jail (http://www.ndtv.com/news/world/steamy-text-messages-land-indian-couple-in-dubai-jail-17960.php)

Even Better................They got your phone tapped :mad:

27mm
18th Mar 2010, 11:49
If you think DXB is bad, try working and living in the big sandpit.....

Microburst2002
18th Mar 2010, 20:27
In the sand pit, this would never had happened. Because there are no locals serving booze.

However, there was a macro party a few years ago in a compound and over a hundred people were to enjoy the caressess of a whip. I don't know if they finaly did.

Look, in this countries there is no justice. There is no democracy. They don't even want these things, which should be limited just to the western world, where we appreciate them.

you have to be careful, save money, go back home when you are done, and that's it. It can be better than living in a western city where you can be killed if you enter in the wrong street or alley. Everything has pros and cons.

We think they are crazy. They think we are demons. For us, the middle age was over 800 years ago. You are in a different world.

Cheers

411A
18th Mar 2010, 21:19
We think they are crazy. They think we are demons. For us, the middle age was over 800 years ago. You are in a different world.

Gotta laugh at that...but, so true.
Sadly, some folks who arrive in the region, never realise.
Pity.:ugh::ugh:

EFC 3 DAYS
19th Mar 2010, 20:55
This whole case is nothing but a FACE SAVING issue. Local made a claim. Police showed up with puffed up chests. Couple sent to jail. International media involved. Accuser refuses to give anymore testemony other than she saw what she saw, or her "out at 2AM in the morning kids" saw what they saw.
So now what?
Boll@x at its absolute Middle Eastern best!
:yuk:

Dan Winterland
20th Mar 2010, 07:00
Such hypocracy when you have establishments such as the Cyclone. (Is it still open? Haven't been there for 5 years).

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Mar 2010, 07:04
And in its place is either a multistory car park, or a Japanese Pod hotel... aka love hotel..

irony......

glf

captainsmiffy
20th Mar 2010, 19:59
411A...do you own a goldfish?!

faheel
21st Mar 2010, 00:14
I have been an expat for the past 30 years ,spent 5 years in the sandpit too,and 411's statements on this thread are stating the obvious.

I cannot believe that some of you lot think that you can go to another country and expect their laws to take into account the law of the land where you came from !

Look to state it simply, would you be prepared to have (for instance)shariah law used as an excuse if a muslim were to kill his daughter because she kissed a guy in public in say the US of A or the UK or the like??
Of course you would not !

So once again to state the obvious, you comply with their laws,its their train set don't be bloody naive and think you should be excused because you are a non emirati.:(

Romasik
21st Mar 2010, 03:22
Do you guys believe those kids were so mean to invent the whole story? Such devil's children:E. Come on! Most probably it's true. Besides it's their business to be in the restaurant at that time. Actually, it's their lifestyle which is not punishable in any way. And you know that.
What if someone injects heroin in front of your kids in Manchester:eek:? Kissing in the lips in Dubai is the same thing to the locals. And these are not crazy youth on the road but simply the family. Just respect them a little. This will make your life a lot easier. And their's, by the way. Remember were you are...

5star
21st Mar 2010, 07:35
I guess most would agree over here it's not very decent to kiss in public.
(well at 2am in a restaurant isn't really public either but that's another discussion...) However to anyone from the ME considering him/herself in another league : Most westerners have a problem with the punishment this couple got. Jail and deportation. Com'on!

The same couple +kids, who turned the couple in, are probably in the same league as the ones who raced on Al Ain Road a few weeks ago with a kid unbuckled on the lap of a woman in the front seat. Nice one isn't it to have your child killed in a road crash because you didn't bother buckling up.
For this one, my dear friends, you would go to jail in the western world...

Double standards.
They have a long long way to go....Insh..

superspotter
21st Mar 2010, 08:01
Ah, but you are forgetting 5star that the woman in the car crash is entirely blameless because you see, it was God's will wasnt it?? He's got a lot to answer for, that Allah (PBOH, dont want a fatwa) :confused:

alwayzinit
21st Mar 2010, 13:30
What strikes me as most bizarre in the recent spate of "Outrageous Behaviour" incidents is that DXB desperately wants and needs western tourists to fill up the 5* hotels but is then surprised when tourists behave like well...........tourists:ugh:. (i know these latest 2 were working in dxb)

The "It's their train set" thing is all well and good if the tourist's host (:}) weren't ripping them off left right and centre.

The JBR was built for Westerners to pour shed loads of cash into DXB, it's a bit harsh to lock up then kick out people who, by the surroudings alone, were lead to believe that at 2 am a quick snog wouldn't bother anyone..............especially as at a significant number of swanky hotels the night fighters are displaying a whole lot more with the husbands and sons of local families who are so disgusted and yet the filth do nothing:ugh:.

Dxb instigated Duty Free Zones to encourage inward investment, why not Sharia Free Zones to encourage tourists and stop all these silly headlines!

Dixons Cider
22nd Mar 2010, 05:40
Sadly, some folks who arrive in the region, never realise.
Pity.

I cannot believe that some of you lot think that you can go to another country and expect their laws to take into account the law of the land where you came from !

Its not about expecting to live as you do in your home country, or being insulated from the rules if you're a tourist. Its about the rules themselves. Hypocracy if rife here, we all know that. However, whether they like it ir not, this place needs tourism...

Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) has launched a stimulus package for its tourism industry to attract and maintain its visitor numbers over the summer, according to a report. more... (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/584086-dubai-plans-cost-friendly-packages-to-woo-tourists---paper)

All these recently highlighted events are doing nothing for the image of the place to potential visitors. The have to decide and clearly state if they want to be a fundamentalist medieval state, or a place that welcomes visitors and their money. Cant have both.

Todays news - no more alchohol to be used in cooking. At all.
Archaic? you decide..

Dubaian
22nd Mar 2010, 06:54
Any chef will tell you all the alcohol boils off in cooking. (Not true of some sauces for desserts of course.) But all the licensed restaurants in DXB have been using little wineglass symbols on the menus for years to indicate where alcohol has been part of the preparation and hence allow the good Moslems to avoid it. What was the problem with that??
Some of the 'government' must be nuts to get yet more bad press for Dubai with this latest ruling. Pretty damn difficult to make Moules Mariniere without a dry white wine. Soon we'll be reduced to Gordon Ramsey and his mates just offering a traditional Mutton Grab. Saves washing the cutlery too.

Oh and I've just found out they're not going to issue any more licences for massage parlours. The place is going downhill faster than an Olympic skier

Bus429
23rd Mar 2010, 02:53
According to today's Gulf News, alcohol in cooking is not being banned. The authorities are merely enforcing segregation of those foods with alcohol and those without.

Dubaian
23rd Mar 2010, 05:29
Yes at least one wise local has prevailed and sorted out the lunacy 7DAYS - Municipality U-turn over alcohol in food (http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id=92173&title=Municipality%20U-turn%20over%20alcohol%20in%20food)
:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Fubaliera
23rd Mar 2010, 06:48
:rolleyes:Even worse, How about Qatar s bid for the 2022 world Cup. Imagine that, a world cup with out hookers, booze and giving the referree the finger. Yeah right.

pinkus
23rd Mar 2010, 07:28
Fatpilot don't hate on the stick dance. It's the best thing about Arabic culture!!

YouTube - Michael Jackson' Smooth Criminal Arabic Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSlyU3VLS-M)

Tower Ranger
23rd Mar 2010, 08:06
Thanks for that, made me laugh! I`m confused though, is that an instructional video on how to drive a Land Cruiser and control your kids whilst on the mobile phone?