PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulator Instructor

fatboy11
16th Mar 2010, 02:44
Dear all,

Just wondering what are the possible avenues to become a flight simulator instructor? Any schools to that provide such training? I have CPL/ME/IR but no jet experience. Any chances for me? Thanks all for your feedback.
Cheers!

BillieBob
16th Mar 2010, 13:07
It rather depends what you mean by 'flight simulator instructor'. Assuming that we are talking about a JAA qualification to teach solely on an aeroplane flight synthetic training device (therefore including FNPTs and FTDs), there are three such qualifications - the Synthetic Training Instructor (STI), the Synthetic Flight Instructor (SFI) and the Multi-crew Co-operation Course Instructor (MCCI).

The privileges of an STI(A) are to carry out synthetic flight instruction for the issue of a licence, instrument rating and class or type rating for single-pilot aeroplanes. To become an STI, you need to hold, or have held within the preceding three years, a pilot licence containing the instructional qualification appropriate to the courses on which instruction is intended. For example, if you wish to obtain an STI authorisation to instruct on the IR(A) course, you must already have an IRI rating or FI rating with IR instructional privilieges. There is no course of training for the STI(A) authorisation.

The privileges of an SFI(A) are to carry out synthetic flight instruction for type ratings and the instruction required for multi-crew co-operation. Whilst the privileges are not confined to multi-pilot aeroplanes, the pre-entry qualifications include at least 1500 hours flying experience as a pilot in MPA. To become an SFI(A), you must complete an approved TRI(A) course, the simulator content of the relevant type rating course and pass a proficiency check on the relevant type.

The privileges of an MCCI(A) are to carry out instruction for the practical part of the MCC course when not combined with a type rating course. You must have at least 1500 hours flying experience as a pilot on multi-pilot aeroplanes and have completed an approved MCCI course.

As you can see, if you have no MPA experience and have not held an FI, CRI or IRI rating, there is at present no avenue to becoming qualified as an instructor on FSTDs

moggiee
17th Mar 2010, 01:02
Ditto! :)

In essence: Start as an FI and work up.

Volk
26th May 2010, 10:26
I´m very happy to find this well explained info from here.
I was quite confused about STI/SFI and so on ...
Thanks a lot! :ok:

But a small question - if I may?!
If I manage to make SFI as I hold already JAR-ATPL and have current type rating as I´m flying as FO, then my question is: How it works to make a upgrade to SFE or TRI?
And is it possible at all to be TRI from FO position or in the future when I become CPT on type then it is possible to make upgrade to TRI?

Callsign Kilo
26th May 2010, 11:25
As BillieBob states, the SFI qualification is based upon completing a TRI course. With my operator an SFI can add the TRI endorsement to their licence after completing a prerequisit number of hours instruction in the sim. I also believe they must have Captain status and possibly a stipulated number of hours as PIC. There is a requirement to carry out simulator training sessions in order to maintain recency. However I believe this to be minimal.

Unfortunately, in terms of remuneration, your status as TRI within my airline holds little weight. However it is a useful thing to have on your ATPL, plus it seems to put you towards the top of the pile for future training positions such as LTC and TRE.

Just to add, the vast majority of SFIs here are FOs.