PDA

View Full Version : How to get a FAA PPL for hours building!

scott5988
15th Mar 2010, 22:41
Hi guys,

just a quick message. Does anyone have any experience of obtaining an FAA PPL for hours building purposes? I have heard several ways of doing this and wondered what was true? After talking to the CAA about it, i feel like i have been pi**ing into the wind (suprise suprise) Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

:ok:

Golf--Lima--Papa
16th Mar 2010, 00:55
Hi Scott,

Its very straight forward and takes anything from 4-8 weeks, I went through the process last year. Download the forms from the CAA website and decide what FSDO that you want to attend in the states.

Send the forms off the the CAA with payment, (it was 42 quid last year) You also send or fax a copy of your UK PPL and medical to the FAA in Oklahoma. You will then get a letter from the FAA confirming they have your application and they will advise you to make an appointment with the local FSDO..

The FSDO I visited was at LAX, contacted them through e-mail and made an appointment. Turned up for the appointment, very painless experience a few forms later and I walked out with a temporary certificate for my FAA PPL. They then send your shiny new FAA PPL license to you home address in the UK, its like a wee credit card.

The best bit about is the FAA charge you a grand total of zilch for their service and they are pleasure to deal with, well that was my experience.

boingopr
16th Mar 2010, 02:31
Geez,

It should be so easy for us FAA types to obtain a CAA/JAA validation! Anyone know of a simple way to do so?

BJ

scott5988
16th Mar 2010, 19:27
Thankyou for all your help! :ok:

Leezyjet
16th Mar 2010, 22:21
How does the process work if in my case I have a JAA CPL/IR, but only want an FAA PPL for the time being ?. What I've read so far relates to PPL-PPL or CPL-CPL.
:confused:

B2N2
18th Mar 2010, 19:24
The 61.75 "piggyback" license will be PPL priviliges only.
Uptil I think '96 or so the would issue a CPL with the restriction of "no commercial operations" allowed.
Since that leaves PPL priviliges some bright apple eventually decided that it was useless to issue a FAA CPL based on a foreign CPL so PPL only.
You can add a foreign IR and ME priviliges if you so choose.
The IR will require taking the "foreign pilot instrument written test".
You can practice any test here: Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org)

BA777
20th Mar 2010, 15:38
Will doing that one test allow you to add the IR and ME at same time or is that two seperate tests?

Curtis E Carr
20th Mar 2010, 16:24
Geez,

It should be so easy for us FAA types to obtain a CAA/JAA validation! Anyone know of a simple way to do so?

BJ

In this respect, FAA to CAA is even easier. The ANO automatically renders FAA (ICAO) certificates valid without having to go through a separate validation process.

OpenCirrus619
20th Mar 2010, 17:24
Straight "cut-n-paste" from http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/409320-insurance-private-flying-usa.html

There is a further twist to this - you can actually get your FAA PPL (issued on the basis of a JAR licence) in your hand AND validated by a BFR flight without ever stepping foot outside the UK.

The nice man (Steve Papi) at Willow Air (http://www.willowair.co.uk/WillowAir/FAA_Facility.html):

Talked me through filling in the forms
Put me in touch with an FAA bod based in the UK who could process them (for a fee)

Then you wait a couple of months and the FAA PPL drops through the letter box.

All you then need to do is complete a BFR to validate the licence - which can again be arranged, at Southend, through Willow Air. (I've still got to do that bit).

Means no time wasted, while on holiday, getting your licence sorted.

OC619

MODS: Hope this doesn't fall foul of advertising ban - I have no involvement with

kestrel101
20th Mar 2010, 18:18
Hello, everyone I just want to make sure I have the right form here for applying for an FAA PPL with my JAA PPL.
A lot of the links I found didn't work.

SRG1160: UK Licence Verification Authorisation for Licence Validation | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=521)

If someone dosen't mind just confirming that the above form is the right one to fax to the U.K CAA.

Thanks for your time.

---------------------------------------------
Got my answer for future reference, this might be helpful.

Licence Verification Process | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=1048)

B2N2
22nd Mar 2010, 18:23
No written test required for the ME, just tick the box on the box on the application.

All you then need to do is complete a BFR to validate the licence - which can again be arranged, at Southend, through Willow Air. (I've still got to do that bit).

Means no time wasted, while on holiday, getting your licence sorted

True but keep in mind that you still need to find an outfit that will rent to you without ever having flown in the US before without some additional ground and flight training.
So the time saved by doing the BFR in the UK might not be timed saved at all.
You might as well do the BFR with the outfit that you intend to rent from, probably cheaper also.