PDA

View Full Version : Vision Defects

VH_TAF
14th Apr 2001, 10:34
Hi Folks,

Have any airline pilots acquired or currently suffer from any Vision or eye defects which prohibit you from flying?

Any info would be appreciated.

Ciao

bral
14th Apr 2001, 12:28
I have CSR which affects my left eye. UK CAA allow me to continue flying.

VH_TAF
15th Apr 2001, 12:22
Thanks for the reply. I actually have the same. CSR in my left eye. I'm a little concered, however all the medical books I have read suggest self resolution of the problem with 12 months.

How yours going ?

Watch your six !
15th Apr 2001, 21:13
Hi !

What is CSR ??

thanks

VH_TAF
16th Apr 2001, 13:27
CSR Stands for Central Serous Retinopathy. Its a idiopathic retinal disorder which affects the macula of one's eye. Idiopathic means basically that they dont know what causes it. It occurs generally in males between 25-45 years of age and is speculated to be associated with stress. Basically its leakage of fluid which cause the macula to detach producing disturbance in central vision, either a grey zone(i have this) or a blind spot. This fluid leaks because a tissue layer behind the eye called the retinal pigment epithelium is defective.

There is no treatment ecxept for laser in certain circumstances(not really recommended). The prognosis is that in 80-90% of people, this disease should spontaneously resolve with 12 months. I sure hope so for my sake! hope it answers your question.

Cheers

Jack Frost
20th Apr 2001, 12:00

High Volt
25th Apr 2001, 01:31
I have a condition which manifests itself after about 9 hours of night flying. When I become visual at 8 miles i find it very difficult to adjust my glideslope using the 4 pink lights next to the threshold. I'm very worried about this - can anybody help?

Thanks!