PDA

View Full Version : Spellcheck

rogerg
15th Mar 2010, 12:51
I had to re-load XP and since that time the outlook express email spell checker only works in French. No way to change the language is obvious.
Any ideas.
Thanks

Sprogget
15th Mar 2010, 14:35
In oex, Tools/Options/Spelling & edit the language tab at the bottom of the box.

rogerg
16th Mar 2010, 06:37
Thanks Sprogget, unfortunatly the only option available in that box is French? What next?

Capetonian
16th Mar 2010, 08:08
Would it be based on the 'Regional and Lanugage Settings' in the control panel?

My OE offers me English (GB,US,AU,CA), FR (FR and CA), and Spanish. My OS is also XP.

rogerg
16th Mar 2010, 08:25
Tried that and it shows that English is selected! Did try changing the language and then back to English but no change.

Saab Dastard
16th Mar 2010, 10:34
Do you have Office 2007 installed?

There's a known bug in that Office 2007 installs some language files that are incompatible with Outlook Express, producing the effect you have experienced.

AFAIK, it is not reversible, and MS have never fixed it (I guess they don't want people to use OE and XP any more).

Your options are either move to the full Outlook client with Orifice 2007 or get hold of a 3rd party spell-check add-on for OE.

SD

Rossian
16th Mar 2010, 10:39
.....or upgrade to the non-dropping out, non self changing, unbreakable spelling aid...

....a dictionary. (Or learn to spell)

The Ancient Mariner

ZH875
16th Mar 2010, 11:19
How do you look up a word in a dictionary, if you don't know how to spell it?.:confused:

The Oxford English Dictionary is a very boring book to read, but at least they explain every word as you go through it.:E

Rossian
16th Mar 2010, 12:25
...how did you type the word you want to spellcheck if you don't know how to spell it? The same mental process applies to looking in a dictionary.

What if you are offered by the spell checker "their" "there" "they're"; which one do you choose if you don't know how to spell it?

(A not too long trawl through the threads here will illustrate the weakness of spell checkers).
Ummmm is it "to" "too" or "two" long a trawl.........??

The Ancient Mariner

rogerg
17th Mar 2010, 09:21
Do you have Office 2007 installed?

That could be it, as I do have 2007. My copy of 2003 is corrupted and I think it was a pirated copy anyway. Oh well I will just have to use the dictiony(never could spell)
Thanks anyway.

rogerg
22nd Mar 2010, 15:23
get hold of a 3rd party spell-check add-on for OE.

Thanks Saab, did that and it works OK.