PDA

View Full Version : What the CAA and BA said about Haemophilia B

G-BPEC
11th Apr 2001, 18:33
This may interest a few people.. as some of you may be aware, I am a "wannabe" with Haemophilia B. Having spoken to the CAA regarding a Class 1 medical and to British Airways regarding potential employment as a pilot, here is what they said.

The CAA:-
Initially, they said that people with a Factor 8 deficiency of the blood should be classed as unfit. I then told her I had a factor 9 defect, and apparently that changes everything. I don't take any medication for the defect, and I have never had a severe bleed in my life, and after I told her this, she told me to gather a haemotologists report and other details and take those to a medical. Most importantly, she said that A CLASS 1 MEDICAL CERTIFICATE WAS NOT IMPOSSIBLE!! ;) ;) ;) I was pretty pleased about that, and I thanked her and went and rung...

British Airways:-

After 34 minutes and 39 seconds on hold, I was redirected to another number where I was on hold for a further 4 minutes with that IRRITATING MUSIC twinging in the background. When I eventually got through, I told them about my condition, and the woman said she would ring me back in 5 minutes. 2 hours later, the phone rang and it was them. She said that she had spoken to a doctor, and the doctor had said NOT DEFINATELY YES, BUT CERTAINLY NOT NO OUTRIGHT. This is before she even knew I didn't take medication, so things there look pretty hopeful. Again she said I would have to submit further info.

So there it is, It isnt all over afterall!!
;) ;) ;)
Cheers
GBPEC
Edited for typos

[This message has been edited by G-BPEC (edited 11 April 2001).]