PDA

View Full Version : Airlines PNG to Asia

AxelPNG
15th Mar 2010, 00:10
Any idea what Asian destinations APNG have in mind following their announcement last September that they had applied for traffic rights to a number of Asian cities?

Would they use their Dash-8's or presumably get something bigger?

vee tail
15th Mar 2010, 01:47
ATR's arriving very soon am told.

Metro man
15th Mar 2010, 03:26
Airliners.net give a variety of ranges for ATRs depending on the model.

Distance Calculator - Cities Near Papua New Guinea – Port Moresby (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=193) shows the range of cities from Port Moresby.

Indonesian destinations seem to be the obvious choices but the Southern Philippines or East Malaysia could come into play depending on model of ATR, how long people are prepared to sit in a turbo prop and if the operator wants the same crew to do the return flight.

tourismman
15th Mar 2010, 04:12
There is a ATR 72 DRW-POM currently.Just about to leave DRW .Malaysian registered.

Animalclub
15th Mar 2010, 09:21
John Wild has long had a dream of operating a B737 from Malaysia and Indonesia to PNG. As soon as APNG obtained their International AOC John was looking at the possibilities of this type of operation.
John was always keen to open up new routes as he did with POM-DAU-Merauke; TBG-DAU-CNS; Alatau-CNS;POM-TSV non stop.

cnic
16th Mar 2010, 00:35
John Wild is no longer involved with APNG he retired, when it became a public company and the wild family is only a large share holder now.

Waghi Warrior
16th Mar 2010, 07:58
The ATR is up here I saw it departing Moresby about 7:30 this morning for Lihir. What model is it ? it looked longer than a DH8 300.

tourismman
16th Mar 2010, 08:31
ATR 72 as i posted previously

Cheers

Section28- BE
16th Mar 2010, 10:09
ATR 72 as i posted previouslyGood Work- insightful that.......

The ATR is up here I saw it departing Moresby about 7:30 this morning for Lihir. What model is it ? it looked longer than a DH8 300. Engaging auto manners :cool: and not being bothered to make the appropriate call..... /and not doing the research on the said "Malaysian Operator"........... to whom the said airframe is/maybe registered- can't imagine the manufacturer tasking a Demonstration tour with a 72-210...........

So given it appears to be longer than a "DH83" :E- I'd go with ATR72-500.... but leave me out of it and count the propeller blades for yourself, any more than 4 a side and I'd reckon you maybe in -500 territory (and all that goes with that).

The good news is Hamilton Standard (along with P&W) is/are involved so history would suggest on balance- the job's right...........:ok::cool:

Rgds
S28- BE

spirax
16th Mar 2010, 21:28
I understand the ATR is for a specific contract.

frigatebird
17th Mar 2010, 02:10
Are they getting more, do they need any endorsed 72 drivers?
Aus licence only at present.

AxelPNG
17th Mar 2010, 03:00
Any word on new destinations?

NDVP
17th Mar 2010, 22:35
As I understand it, Lihir Gold are looking for something more effective than the DH8-100 for Cairns / Lihir. The aircraft is in PNG for trials / proving. It belongs to Berjaya Air and they are exploring a 34 pax / 2.5T cargo config.

If it goes ahead the aircraft will be Cairns based, crewed by APNG and operating on behalf of Lihir Gold. I believe that Berjaya still anticipate delivery of 2 or 3 more aircraft, with a possibility that APNG may at some point seek to lease a further airframe to bolster their domestic commitment in PNG

SmoothCriminal
19th Mar 2010, 06:33
ATR 72 seen in Darwin again on Wednesday, Malaysian registered ., dressed all in white

Smoothie....:ok:

AxelPNG
19th Mar 2010, 06:52
From today Post-Courier
Regional aircraft carrier Airlines PNG Limited has successfully negotiated to operate an ATR 72-500 aircraft to service the requirements of resource industry clients and the general public.
Airlines PNG commercial manager, Colin Whelan says that the addition to its fleet of this aircraft is just another way the airline is committing to significantly improving the quality of air services in PNG, while at the same time meeting strict client needs.
Mr Whelan described the ATR 72-500 as a “new generation” aircraft that was suited to the unique requirements of the PNG geography, offering short take-off and landing capability best suited to our rural airstrips. The ATR 72-500 is the stretched version of the ATR aircraft family with capacity for up to 74 passengers and is known for its versatility and capability to operate even in difficult environments.
The aviation company played host to the European regional aircraft manufacturer for a two day visit to demonstrate the ATR 72-500 aircraft to various stakeholders.
The two day exercise which began on Monday, in Port Moresby with initial demonstration flights to airfields throughout the country, followed by an inspection of the aircraft.
APNG said the ATR 72-500 was an exciting prospect for the aviation market in PNG. The company said the aircraft was an asset for enhancing the company’s product offering to corporate charter clients and the travelling public.

Trex wantok
20th Mar 2010, 00:43
Hey FB I thought you dont like people with melanesian mind frame, why the sudden interest? you and your friend are not still unemployed are you?:ugh:

frigatebird
20th Mar 2010, 03:24
Ahhh.. you again TW.. You really are a pain.. That particular comment was about a particular persons attitude, (if you noticed), seems you have the same attitude to 'stirring for stirrings sake'. Anyone else who has read my posts without an agenda like yours and your 'friends', would know my true feelings towards the Islands and the people who have their home there. Are you trying to be 'Racist' to me? Gutter tactics will only get you so far in this small industry before word about you gets around.
And to continue - it is good to see this part of the World finally assessing and considering using modern ATR equipment again after such a long period.

AxelPNG
23rd Mar 2010, 05:37
So, correct me if I am wrong but it would appear that the only Asian destination APNG could fly to with their current fleet would be Jayapura.

Any idea if this is in their plans?

The only operator to show any interest after PX pulled out of this route was Air Efata, unfortunately they went under before they could commence flights.

Trex wantok
26th Mar 2010, 06:41
Hi AxelPNG
Word around the bond fire is that, they are looking at Manila Singapore etc, B757,A321, was thrown around 7miles a few months ago but now its gone quiet hav'nt heard anything lately, On the Flight International Website they mention APNG are looking at wet or dry leasing options for a jet a/c for their asian ports.
My understanding on the ATR, its for mining contract(Lihir) for now, rumours that one or two other mines are also interested in the ATR. and if ATR people play there cards right they might even convince APNG to go ATR for the whole fleet.....who knows anything is possible..... only good things are on the horizon for APNG :ok:

AxelPNG
26th Mar 2010, 06:53
Thanks Wantok. Sounds great. Always good to have a few extra 'escape' routes on the horizon. There is nothing quite like the first San Mig or Tiger shortly after take-off enroute from POM to SIN...

the wizard of auz
6th Apr 2010, 22:02
Trex Wantok has pretty well hit the nail on the head.
I went for a blast in the ATR when it was here. far nicer than the Dash. Although the fact that it only had 190TT was probably part of that. :ok:

macdonaldjames93
30th Jul 2010, 01:54
"Good things are on the horizon for APNG"
Hey T.Wantok when is the jet for the asian ports getting in? or where is the ATR 72-500 that should be operating right now between Lihir and Cairns? My only concern is........Hevilift is getting two ATRs 42-500s, QF is sending the Q400 twice daily,Pixie just took delivery of its second 763 its first Q400 an another on the way......it looks like every major players in png are all getting prep for the LNG project..... anyone knows what APNG is up too? ......love to hear how apng is doing

Che cows with guns
31st Jul 2010, 17:48
McDJimmy93
Be around Moresby 9th August or therabouts you may get a surprise.
Patience is a virtue laddy

macdonaldjames93
21st Aug 2010, 00:43
Hi Che c w guns
Thanks for the update. ATR-72 was about nine days late from you predicted date but at least its here now.
I see they are bussing around at Alt of19000 and 18000 to keep there speed up so the crew can do a CNS-LNV-CNS

Che cows with guns
21st Aug 2010, 04:57
Actually I was one day late it ferried in from Malaysia on the 10th direct to Cairns. Did a proving run on the 12th of August. I don't think it has been to Moresby yet. First revenue run was on the 18th of August. Nice aircraft. Hope to see more.
Cheers
Oh yeah round trip 7.6 hours, keeping low to keep TAS up (fair days work). Still burns bugger all though. That new generation stuff is amazing

geeup
22nd Aug 2010, 21:42
Is the ATR currently being flown by Malay crew or the APNG boys?
Where are the APNG guys goin to be sent for training or is it all import crew?

chimbu warrior
22nd Aug 2010, 22:21
Looks like APNG are seeking a marriage with PX.

Qantas entry puts pressure on PNG airlines
BY ILYA GRIDNEFF

AAP - THERE ARE concerns in PNG that Qantas flights to Port Moresby are threatening the survival of PNG's second biggest carrier Airlines PNG.

Qantas entered into the PNG market in July hoping to capitalise on the country's $16 billion Exxon Mobil-led liquefied natural gas project.

A subsequent price war resulted and Airlines PNG has reduced its daily Cairns-Port Moresby service to two a week.

Qantas, which has a codeshare agreement with national airline Air Niugini on flights to Sydney and Brisbane, declined to comment on how this has affected APNG.

But a government letter sighted by AAP, said there is “grave concern” about Qantas, which is “forcing both national carriers out of the market and there could be removal of competition and higher prices as a result".

Meanwhile, government sources have told AAP that APNG is seeking a merger with Air Niugini.

Airlines PNG CEO, Geoff Toomey declined to comment and a spokeswoman said the airline would not discuss "speculation and rumour".

Air Niugini CEO, Wasantha Kumarasiri, said a merger was not under consideration. "(Sir Michael Somare) and our minister (Arthur Somare) have assured us they are dedicated to Air Niugini," he said.

A spokesman from the Prime Minister's Office also played down the merger talk. "We hope sense will prevail," he said.

In 2008, the Cairns-based Wild family sold a 50 per cent stake in Airlines PNG through a public float on the Port Moresby stock exchange for an estimated $40 million.

John Wild remains the largest APNG shareholder with 47 percent. Since the float the shares have dropped from one kina (40c) to 63 toea (25c).

In the APNG 2009 annual report Mr Wild blamed the company's $9.8 million loss on the global economic downturn, the Kokoda crash and even the Icelandic volcanic eruption that grounded planes in the northern hemisphere.

For the same period Air Niugini declared a profit of $27.2 million.