PDA

View Full Version : Fireball out of Leeds LBA?

zerotohero
14th Mar 2010, 20:27
Just in Horsforth which is about 1nm south of LBA and saw out of the window what looked like a fireball climbing away from LBA at about 4000fpm on extended centreline for runway 14!

no idea what I was looking at but really did look like an aircraft flight path and was climbing away with a big glow just like it was on fire?

anyone else any info?

captplaystation
14th Mar 2010, 22:03
1st info - put more wate/tonic/coke/red bull (delete as appropriate) in it. :hmm:

2nd info - did they have a Concorde in a museum @ LBA that someone could have nicked ? Nope don't think so :confused:

3rd info - it's the weekend man ! the military don't fly at the weekend, Britain would never be invaded at the weekend.

Suggest go back to 1st info. . . . if not applicable . . . .PANIC !

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring !

Very impressed with your ability to guesstimate 4000'fpm BTW ;)

DX Wombat
14th Mar 2010, 23:39
Could be one of those sky lanterns (http://www.skylanternsonline.co.uk/24-chinese-sky-lanterns/)which can climb quite rapidly given the right conditions.
http://lonereed.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lanterns1.jpg

Porrohman
15th Apr 2010, 22:07
We saw four fireballs, or perhaps bolides given their size and brightness, in a ten minute period around 22:30 last night over Fife. I believe they were from the Gamma Virginids meteor shower which reached peak intensity yesterday and today. Similar fireballs/bolides were spotted over Wisconsin and several other states in the USA. Check Google news for details. The fireballs / bolides were relatively slow moving, taking about a minute to cross the sky from east to west. I'd estimate the size and brightness as they headed towards us to be about 50-100 times larger and brighter than Venus. After they passed our location they were nowhere near as bright as it was the front of the object that was glowing and burning. Each one was a huge orange ball of flame - they had no tails that we could see. We were so transfixed by them that it never occurred to me to go and grab my camera. :ugh: