PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Terror

seacue
14th Mar 2010, 20:20
For your information:

At least six times over a period of two days (or a little more), my Windows XP Home presented me with the Blue Screen of Terror "Windows Has Detected a Serious Error and Must Close".

The leads identified Hewlett-Packard printer drivers. I hadn't updated them in recent memory and was not attempting to print.

Further investigation identified the problem as being with the driver for my HP Photosmart 7850 ink-jet printer, which I seldom use. Microsoft says that the driver [HPZid412/HPius12] "has stopped working and HP is working on fixing it". I was told to download the latest driver - which was dated 2005. Obviously no fix has yet appeared. This driver seems to have been used for the whole 7800 series and probably others.

I suspect an update to XP has made the HP driver incompatible. Of course the problem is HP's in Microsoft's view.

My solution has been to go to Control Panel and delete everything from HP. My system is again stable (knock on wood) and my Brother laser printer works fine.

BEagle
14th Mar 2010, 20:43
I've noticed a significant drop-off in computer performance following Bills's huge updates of a couple of weeks ago...

Many MS Office XP applications now seem to take longer to open and occasionally hang. And what is the MS solution after 'error reporting'? "Consider updating to a later version" - in other words, pay Bill yet more money....:mad:

Bolleaux - if your software security was so flakey, you can damn well provide me with a FREE updated version, you avaricious git!

frostbite
14th Mar 2010, 20:45
HP printers are, on the whole, decent bits of kit.

HP software is something else entirely, and many people have learned not to install it.

Saab Dastard
14th Mar 2010, 20:49
I learnt a long time ago NEVER to allow a hardware device driver upgrade from MS.

By all means update device drivers from the manfr's website, but MS Up**** found a new graphics card / printer / network driver? Don't touch it with a 3m bargepole. :*

SD

seacue
15th Mar 2010, 00:47
I spoke too soon. The Blue Screen of Terror occurred again.

seacue

Sprogget
15th Mar 2010, 08:21
Seacue, considered running debugging tools for Windows? I'm a great believer in that bit of kit.

cdtaylor_nats
15th Mar 2010, 09:14
Consider upgrading to OpenOffice and ditching the MS Office moneymaker.

Sprogget
15th Mar 2010, 09:37
A driver error has what to do with MS Office?

mad_jock
15th Mar 2010, 09:50
Undocumented OS hardware calls by Microsoft software.

Quite a few Office products can clash with drivers cause they don't go through the normal OS system calls to get access to hardware.

Its one of the reasons why Microsoft products sometimes have better performance than other 3rd party software doing the same thing.

seacue
15th Mar 2010, 10:43
I generally use FireFox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice. I have MS Office 97, which is used infrequently.

After the first series of crashes, I scanned the computer with SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes and AVG 9.0, all free editions. Nothing was found.

After last evening's crash, I updated to FireFox 3.6. I also replaced IE8 with IE7. We'll see what transpires.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Now I wish I had been using TrueImage, etc.

seacue

seacue
19th Mar 2010, 02:16
A crash the afternoon of 15 Mar. when reading a message in Thunderbird.

A crash upon the first use of Firefox after hibernation, the evening of 16 Mar.

Later in the enening of Mar 16, I removed AVG9 and installed Avast! free.

I have used Firefox extensively since then with no problems. I started using Thunderbird the evening of 18 Mar with no problems so far.

I'll wait a few days before installing the inkjet printer driver.

seacue

Peter Fanelli
20th Mar 2010, 15:07
Anyone else notice that XP worked just fine until Vista came out, and now seems to be even more troublesome since Windows 7 hit the shelves.

I think Micro$oft cripples old operating systems via it's updates to encourage sales of the new junk.

Maybe I'll go back to windows 98

P.Pilcher
20th Mar 2010, 16:41
I have rebuilt XP pro on two computers now using a very old disc with a copy which hasn't even got SP1 on it. When I get it up and running, XP flies. Then it gets slower and slower as the huge number of mods and service packs are incorporated.
I suppose in an ideal workd one needs two computers: one with an unmodified XP pro to run today's fancy software but without internet access, and one running, say, Win '95 or Win '98 which modern viruses are not written to infect.

P.P.

Tim00
20th Mar 2010, 20:35
P.P.: If you do more than the occasional rebuild, it pays to merge SP3 (or 2) into your original XP CD. Search for "slipstream" for instructions: essentially you copy your CD to disk, extract the SP files, patch a config file & burn a new CD.

P.Pilcher
21st Mar 2010, 00:21
Thanks for the advice Tim I am aware that this can be done, but for the few times I have had to do it it is a heck of a lot of work for, in the end, little time saving. O.K. it takes a fair while to get the updating done, but it will take much, much long to study how to slipstream, then I will probably get it wrong a time or two then the updated, tested CD will sit on the shelf of year or so which will then want re-updating the next time I want to use it!

P.P.

Arkroyal
6th Jul 2010, 12:17
I've been battling the dreaded too.

Fairly old amd Athlon 2000+ with XP Pro which keeps spontaneously restarting or locking completely requiring reset.

On restart, windows goes through the usual 'recovering from a major error' routine.

I've tried restoring to an earlier time, registry cleaning, complete scan with AVG, and then Avast, updating drivers.

Then the reinstalling of windows and still the same problem exists.

I guess it must be a hardware issue, needing the old faithful to be replaced.

Any ideas before I fork out wads of cash?

Sprogget
6th Jul 2010, 13:43
Had a look in event viewer? That would be an easy enough place to start.

jimtherev
6th Jul 2010, 14:04
I've been battling the dreaded too.

I've tried ... complete scan with AVG, and then Avast, updating drivers.

Then the reinstalling of windows and still the same problem exists.

You don't have Avast! and AVG both up and running simultaneously, do you? That can lead to ..um.. interesting results sometimes.

Arkroyal
6th Jul 2010, 16:35
Jimtherev,

No, I used AVG before the windows reload, then Avast after.

Sprogget,

Looking through the event viewer (new to me) I find, in the six days since starting over with reloaded windows, there are:

4 Errors, Source, Windows update agent, Category Installation, Event 20

9 Errors, Source, System Error, Category 102, Event 1003

3 Errors, Source, Service Control Manager, Event 7031

12 Errors (in 4 groups of 3), Source DCOM, Event 10005

1 Error, Source, RasMan, Event 20032

None of which means much to me, but may do to you. RasMan sounds a bit suspicious though.

Is anything significant?

Thanks to all for helping

Sprogget
6th Jul 2010, 17:09
This is your culprit:
Errors, Source, System Error, Category 102, Event 1003

Since you've done a rebuild, it strongly suggests you have a hardware problem or a driver issue. This article should help. RASMAN is nothing to worry about, it's windows remote access control manager. Definitely not your crashing issue.

The computer may automatically restart, or you may receive a "serious error" message or a Stop error message in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows 2000 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278)

Arkroyal
6th Jul 2010, 18:49
Thanks Sprogget,

I've printed off the info at that link,and will go through it carefully.

Let you know how I get on.:ok:

Sprogget
7th Jul 2010, 08:22
Before my keyboard died on me last night, I was going to say the linked MS article does suggest strongly that the blue screen is related to spyware. The other possibilities, given that you have reinstalled Windows and seem to have taken the same bullet twice, would be a bad device driver and possibly a bad bank of ram.

If you don't get anywhere with the first route, there are other troubleshooting paths you can take - maybe save that up for another day depending on how you get on with the first attempt to fix things.:ok:

Arkroyal
7th Jul 2010, 16:15
I have also taken the various cards and memory out of the motherboard and re-installed them but that doesn't rule out a fault.

I went through the advice in the link you kindly proferred, but found none of the suspect files in the drivers folder.

After another crash, windows alerted me to a Spyware virus, Spyware.apropos.C, and directed me to Windows Live OneCare, which I have just finished running.

It found a problem, and rather unhelpfully finished saying that one problem had not been fixed.

But for now all seems ok, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your help, hope your keyboard's ok now

Sprogget
8th Jul 2010, 09:31
From googling spware.apropos.c, I found this post & link from another site:

wilders no loger does hijackthis logs, but i can still give you instructions on how to remove this infection

a spyware expert, Swandog46, has developed a removal tool for it

use it like this:

You may want to print out these instructions for reference, since you will have to restart your computer during the fix.

Please download AproposFix from here:
http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/aproposfix.exe

Save it to your desktop but do NOT run it yet.

Then please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, please double-click aproposfix.exe and unzip it to the desktop. Open the aproposfix folder on your desktop and run RunThis.bat. Follow the prompts.

When the tool is finished, please reboot back into normal mode

I can't vouch for it, but it may be a route you wish to try.

Arkroyal
9th Jul 2010, 09:06
Hi again, Sprogget

Having carried out all the methods so far, including the Apropos fix, we seem to be getting somewhere!

I did have a failure to boot , which went through several cycles, getting to the XP welcome page before restart, but generally things seem to be working.

Using Mozilla instead of that awful IE8 seems to have sped things up too.

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you informed how it goes after a good soak time.

Cheers :ok:

Sprogget
9th Jul 2010, 09:14
Fingers crossed AR, let's hope that was the fix.:ok:

PowerDragTrim
9th Jul 2010, 09:34
By using Open office and Firefox, you are already into open source software - but it is still mixed in with Windows.
Can I recommend you request a Ubuntu 10.04 CD from CDs and DVDs | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/cds)
If you install it, I also recommend that you ditch Firefox in favour of the Chrome browser. You will also get Open Office as well.
I have it installed with no problems and it boots up in 47 secs with a 9.7 sec shutdown! it does all that Windows can do and is free!
You have nothing to lose but Windows!!

Also meant to say, one does not need any anti-spyware, etc programmes as linux is 'immune' from these problems.

Sprogget
9th Jul 2010, 20:09
One point - on the basis that you seem to have acquired the same problem across two builds of windows, my first thought was that you had either a bad driver or a bad stick of ram.

If as seems probable, you have picked up the same bit of spyware twice, it seems reasonable to suppose you have been to a dodgy website twice or have holes in your anti virus.

Not finger pointing, but perhaps a little food for thought - maybe stay away from Ukraninan-mp3downloads.com!

Arkroyal
27th Aug 2010, 09:56
Sorry for the delay, but I'm now back. Problem computer in the skip, and now on brand new machine, with important guff saved from old one before ditching it.

It wasn't anything to do with dodgy downloads or websites, as I don't go much beyond Pprune, and Itunes.

Anyway, this little beauty sings.

Trouble is Windows 7!

No Outlook Express, windows live email instead, which having set up my email accounts, receives messages fine, but when I try to send, I get this error message:The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject 'test'
Server Error: 250
Server Response: 250 8BITMIME
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): YesThe email account is with btyahoo, and when I went into 'properties' discovered that the 'My server requires authentication' box under 'Outgoing Mail Server', in the 'Servers' tab was unchecked (in XP it was checked).

'Aha' I thought, and checked the box.

Still no joy.

Any ideas anyone?

raydux
31st Aug 2010, 00:45
I have to agree with the person who posted that you should switch to Ubuntu. However, before you jump into Linux totally, maybe partition the original hard drive into 2 sections and install Ubuntu on the free area (dual boot) or install second hard drive and install it there. That way you can get "used" to Ubuntu, I did this and now everyday I enjoy it more and more. My laptop came with xp but its now totally Ubuntu, getting there as I got more comfortable with it. And it can do everything that I did in xp or vista. Except for ms fsim, but there are ways around that too. But you could go to x-plane instead. Or flight gear.
Try Ubuntu, It's sweet!! Plus the more people that use it, the better it will get!!!
I haven't had a crash in a long time now!!
Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/)