PDA

View Full Version : Good one Captain PPRuNe

Kaptin M
19th Apr 2000, 15:41
Okay pax, a BIG thanks to Danny for this one.

It's going to be fun to see what YOU say about US.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Go for it, we're waiting!!!!

FlyingV
19th Apr 2000, 17:34
So, am I the first person to reply to a message ?

Now, I don't want to sound negative or anything, but how many ordinary, everyday , bog standard airline passengers do you imagine visit Pprune every day ? Not a lot I would imagine.

I have a feeling that this will sooner or later be renamed the Anoraks Forum. Not that I have any problem with that :)

How many pilots wonder about the guys and gals who drive the trains ? Only the trainspotters among you I guess.

Re what pax think of pilots, I would guess that they don't much. To most people, the plane flys you to your destination (all by itself) and the hostie brings the drinks & peanuts. And thats about it.

I would hope this forum wasn't set up in the expectation of having hordes of adoring pax turning up to worship at the feet of the almighty gods of the air .
:) :) :)

[This message has been edited by FlyingV (edited 19 April 2000).]

Kaptin M
19th Apr 2000, 17:51
FlyingV, looks like you are the first.

You mean you're not going to tell us how fantastically talented, good looking, and suave we are.

Then you'll have to leave...NOW!!

No, I think we're all expecting a lambasting, overpaid, underworked, prima donnas comes to mind....would you care to add to the list??

Frankly, I'm surprised at the number of punters who do seem to have an input here. I guess most people have some interest in flying, in some form or another. Who didn't make paper darts at school??

I think what you stated is pretty close to the mark, re passengers perceptions of flight crew...the drivers sit up the pointy end, drinking copious amounts of tea or coffee, doing nothing, while the trolley dollies push a cart down the aisles serving refreshments [?] to pax, who only eat it out of boredom, and a sense that because they've paid so much for their ticket, they're going to make the most of it...well that's what I do when I passenger off on hols.

Congratulations again, I'm not sure if this qualifies you for a certificate, or a free flight [First Class] on PPRuNe Airlines, you'd better ask the Captain, Himself.

Cheers.

ExSimGuy
19th Apr 2000, 17:52
FlyingV,

You do us injustice! We think a lot about the drivers in the part of the world wherein I live!

In case it was missed on another board, I'd like to add my comments regarding my recent wonderful flight RUH-JED aboard one of those amazing new tripleseven things last week, and address it to the driver thereof!

It was on the JED-RUH last Saturday, I hope you will let The Board know how much the PAX love the 2-hour minimum check-in time for domestics (it's almost quicker to drive, but much more fun in one of those new triplesevens!)

And your handling of the aircraft was amazing - how anyone can get it to do so many of those exciting bumps in the smooth air over the peninsula just beats me!

Although it was getting dark as we finally descended towards JED A/P (I know it shouldn't have been, but maybe the 2-hour delay, us stuck in the 777, had something to do with it) that new "up front camera" was a lovely way to observe the lights of the city - what spoilsport turned it off as we were getting to the really interesting bit of the flight; the approach!

What you may not realise is that PAX can turn it on again, and those pretty red lamps at the beginning of the runway looked really good for most of the approach. Strange, but they turned all completely white when you increased the power so much at one time, then all red again shortly after, as we were landing - are they like "disco lights" and respond to the noise of the approaching engines?

The landings were impressive too, as I'm sure you have to be really good to land six times, alternately on each side of where the wheels are. But it really was a waste of breath though when your conductress asked everyone to stay in their seats until the engine was stopped, as most of the PAX were already queuing at the front of the plane, with the three big bags each that they had managed to drag out of the crammed overhead bins, ready to jump off as soon as it had slowed towards the end of the runway, like they do on the London busses.

------------------------------------------
*Self-Loading-Freight do it sitting down with cramps*

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 19 April 2000).]

Self Loading Freight
19th Apr 2000, 17:57
Well, I never did.

Actually, I did. I suggested a place like this in Aircrew Notices, decided -- after a short and rather unexciting discussion -- that nobody much seemed enthused, and concluded it probably wasn't worth having a pax forum.

And now they've gone and done it. Hurrah!

What do I think about pilots? Well, PPRuNe's been quite a revelation, although it has reinforced my pre-PPRuNe perceptions that the system works well in delivering people to the front seats who really are up to the job. It's also been very interesting working out what the real issues are: the SIA stuff is particularly fascinating, since if I understand correctly there *are* genuine safety issues there and there isn't any real way to tackle them. Culture is always the most intractable issue.

What I'd like to see pilots do more for passengers... well, more information would be wonderful. Nobody wants to be woken up every hour on the redeye by Captain Humungous going on about his wonderful aircraft, or have their viewing pleasure disrupted for an in-transit weather report, but there are plenty of opportunities to give a short explanation of any delays, expected turbulence, that sort of thing.

And I really like the Delta habit of putting RT on one of the PAX audio channels, but then I'm an anorak...

R

CargoRat
19th Apr 2000, 19:55
Can I have a freighter forum please?

ExSimGuy
20th Apr 2000, 10:19
A freighter forum - now lets see - all correspondents would be pilots, F/Os, and maybe some very old Flight Engineers.

No Effays, no PAX - not much demand I suspect!

------------------
Flight Sims, very expensive toys - but real fun to play with!

CargoRat
21st Apr 2000, 02:11
Don't forget that there are such things called freight/cargo airlines out there :rolleyes:

(and we don't have to put up with slf/effays/uniforms (yuck) :))

rgds Rat
(and there are HUNDREDS of freighters around)
Rat

[This message has been edited by CargoRat (edited 20 April 2000).]

ANGELONE
21st Apr 2000, 22:22
Kaptin M - you are suave, good-looking and fantastically talented.

------------------
Love on the wing

Kaptin M
22nd Apr 2000, 02:58
I think you're absolutely right, ANGELONE. I'm also modest, and I'd like to tell everyone that as well..... ;)

In reality, the majority of pilots I have associated with over the years, are generally quite "private" [dare I say shy] types, who don't particularly enjoy being in the public eye, but do enjoy their work, and are more than happy to show and explain their "office" and its workings to anyone interested, Company regulations permitting.

As much as you see the bickering and backstabbing that goes on here, we all share that one thing in common...the love of flying.

A little akin to all sharing one woman, and each vying for her attention.

AJ
23rd Apr 2000, 23:05
Cargo Rat, at the risk of sounding like a 5-year old, what's it like flying freighters? What are the destinations like, compared to pax. routes?

IF I become a pilot,(would love to), I'd prefer to fly a little off the beaten track, -what are the possibilities with freight Co's? According to all the mag's, it seems to be an expanding market, and you can always nab some of the bananas without anyone noticing ;)

Cheers,
Alex.
P.S. Cheers Danny, I was always afraid of posting up in the big, bad R+N forum :)

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 23 April 2000).]