PDA

View Full Version : AF A380 Diverted to BOS - Weather

BreezyDC
14th Mar 2010, 15:06
"Yesterday, at least nine international flights headed to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York were diverted to Logan International Airport because of the weather, said Matthew Brelis, a Massport spokesman. One of the diverted planes was an AirBus A380 operated by Air France, the largest passenger plane in the world. The massive aircraft usually flies from New York to Paris, Brelis said." -- Boston GlobeDid they have to offload passengers, or just stay on the tarmac until cleared to JFK? Either way, anyone know how this worked out at Logan with the passenger load on a single aircraft?

Me Myself
14th Mar 2010, 16:09
Who cares !!!???

wings folded
14th Mar 2010, 16:23
Who cares !!!???

Probably the passengers, a bit, and obviously BreezyDC quite a lot, but nobody else really.

11Fan
14th Mar 2010, 16:41
And for those of you with connecting flights to Boston..... well, you're here.

BreezyDC
14th Mar 2010, 16:43
Ah, ye of wee interest....

The question in my wee brain is: What is the flexibility and impact of these superjumbos before they are in broad service worldwide? Can the infrastructure handle anything out of the ordinary, such as a routine diversion?

fc101
14th Mar 2010, 16:57
Incredible non-story...quite a few aircraft were diverted to BOS...but aparently because one was an A380 it becomes news?

fc101
E145 Driver

11Fan
14th Mar 2010, 17:04
Breezy, to answer your second question simply, yes.

There are many threads on the A380 within PPRuNe and this has been brought up a number of times.

Try the search function and type in A380 Ready Airports, or just go here.

http://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=6331114

Happy reading.

wings folded
14th Mar 2010, 17:08
What is the flexibility and impact of these superjumbos

I have been assured by Airbus that they are scarcely flexible at all. Rigidity is, in fact, a design feature.

Impact, so far at least, has been normal for a 3 degree glideslope and adequate flare.

Can the infrastructure handle anything out of the ordinary, such as a routine diversion?

If a diversion is "routine", then it surely is "not out of the ordinary". Just routine.

sprocky_ger
14th Mar 2010, 17:18
The A380 was at BOS already in February as part of the airport getting certified for that aircraft. Pics on a.net.

Don't know if this was just meant to be for diversion only or if there is somebody planning to send his Whales to that airport. Maybe EK? They'll have plenty of them soon.:)

11Fan
14th Mar 2010, 17:18
This "routine" is a little "out of the ordinary", and it involves (gasp) treadmills.

pv5zWaTEVkI

pssst, sprocky, the term "whale" is usually associated with 747's

Groundloop
15th Mar 2010, 10:01
I have been assured by Airbus that they are scarcely flexible at all. Rigidity is, in fact, a design feature.

Have you seen the wings? If they weren't flexible they would snap.:ok: