PDA

View Full Version : FTE assessment

batesy72
14th Mar 2010, 13:57
I will be flying out to Jerez next week for their assessment and was wondering if anyone has any tips they could pass on from previous experience with the school.

many thanks

Bobby_1
14th Mar 2010, 14:14
make sure to wear a suit, and be familiar with the pre test material they gave you, also speed distance time questions. dont panic either.

_ShIfTy_
14th Mar 2010, 16:51
Hey.

I wrote down some stuff when I did my assessment in June. I think I stored it on a hard drive somewhere. I will hunt it out and fwd you it if you want?

Adamj
15th Mar 2010, 21:02
I've got my assessment in late April and would just like to know what sort of advice you could give for trying to prepare for it . I have been going over the Pre-test material they sent and dug out some old A/s physics and GCSE maths books to brush up on those subjects and I would like to know anything else you would recommend doing?

batesy72
15th Mar 2010, 21:14
Ta for the responses, i've been through the material a few times, a few more times won't harm.

Rithalic
17th Mar 2010, 01:31
Been out here for a while now and have seen a fair few applicants come through and heard a few horror stories from the instructors afterwards. It's important to be yourself, they aren't just marking you on your entry grades and pilapt scores but on how well they percieve you would fit in on the flight deck.

You'll also want to think of some good interview responses for your weaknesses, team work etc. Other than that, have a laugh with the instructors you meet, join us at the bar and enjoy the spanish weather whilst its not quite so terrible.

Good Luck!

flyingkangaroo
7th Jul 2010, 20:47
Hi mate, I have just seen on the FTE thread that you wrote down some notes on the aptitude tests. Would it be possible to get a copy, I have an assessment at the end of the month and am trying to prepare myself. The old Maths and Physics is a bit rusty since school:}

You helpwould be greatly appreciated

flyingkangaroo
7th Jul 2010, 20:49
Sorry that message was for shifty!!:ugh:

planecrazy.eu
8th Jul 2010, 10:10
Maths - Very Basic, GCSE Level Tops. Most questions can be answered with logic. Trig is about as hard as it gets.

Reasoning - Pretty standard reasoning tests, the same as you'd get for 101 different jobs these days, so you can pick these tests up from Waterstones to have a practice on, or i bet the net is flooded with them.

Aptitude - Aptitude tests seems to be usually the same. Pilapt test, but its not the full one you'll get with some other training companies, and they miss out one of the hardest ones too. You can buy things that simulate these tests, I have a few, but never found they actually improve my performance.

Interview - Most casual interview you'll ever have in the carear. Questions such as "What makes you angry" may need a few seconds on brain consultation before you say something stupid, or something that makes you sound unstable as a person. The rest are usual job questions, how friends describe you, why FTE, how was the application process and todays tests? why do you want to be a pilot, you get the picture.

Just to add, the guys and gals at FTE are the most laid back I have ever found. Great people, and so are the students. Like a few posts back said, join the students after if you can, they dont have a chip on their shoulder like some students I have came upon.

And Jerez aint a bad place either.

planecrazy.eu
8th Jul 2010, 10:23
Maths List

vulgar fractions
decimal fractions
percentages
averages, and squares.
Ratio and Proportion:
direct and inverse proportion
representative fractions
conversions between statute miles, nautical miles, and kilometers metres and feet miles per hour, knots and kilometres per hour.
Linear equations in one unknown
Manipulation of formulae
Substitution in formulae.
sine cosine and tangent
simple problems involving the solution of right angle triangles.These are all covered.

I think there was 2 trig questions, it was about finding distance to objects via radio signals, and distance to x knowing distance to y and z.

A few questions on, if plane leaves at X, travels X speed, arrival time. How fast is plane going if X.

There was some questions on headings too, but cant find my notes on the rest.

MOST IMPORTANT THING, take a Calculator, they do provide them, but as luck had it, they gave me a sharp one and i have no idea how to use it, as i have used Casios for ever, and they seem a little different in operation.

These questions are from the application and other, and all came up in some form

Q1 Describe a situation where you have lead a team. Give an example of what you did, and how you did it, which enabled the team to achieve the objective.

Q2 Give an example of a situation where you performed effectively as a member of a team when you were not the nominated leader. What do you feel you contributed to that team?

Q3 Give an example of an occasion where you used your written, verbal or non-verbal communication skills to resolve a problem.

Q4 Describe a situation where you possibly should have done something differently. What personal lessons have you learnt from that?

Q5 Describe a situation where you have felt under unusually high pressure. What was your reaction?

Q6 What is the achievement you are most proud of, and why?

Q7 Please explain why you wish to join this programme, and what personal qualities you feel you bring.

Q8 If successful, you would be based in Jerez, in southern Spain, where all of our training is conducted during a 62 week fully residential course starting in March 2007. Would this cause you any difficulties?

Q9 What one thing angers you the most? How do you deal with this?

Q10 [ Question on INTEGRITY] Cant remember how it was worded, something like, If a Captain did X and you didnt agree, what would you do? [ X is BAD] and give an example of how you have dealth with something similar.

silverknapper
13th Jul 2010, 16:12
Question 1: Can you write a cheque for €81,000?
Question 2: Can you completely disregard the fact the industry is on it's knees, no one is recruiting and the worldwide economy is in crisis?

You can? Fantastic! Even better if you don't push us for a huge discount because we're pretending that we are full and there really is a pilot shortage. No really.

Welcome to Jerez. When can you start.

_ShIfTy_
13th Jul 2010, 17:34
There is about 5 place's left for self sponsored students in 2010. Emirates, Qatar, Thomas cook And City jet have taken the remaining places.

time4parties
14th Jul 2010, 13:26
because we're pretending that we are full

Is that why there are only 5 places left this year and they are building a new accommodation block on the site because demand is so high? :ugh:

Bombs Away
31st Aug 2010, 16:57
From reading some topics on this I'm pretty sure you can bring your own calculator but was wondering can you bring a crp-5 in with you or are you provided one for some of the maths question's? Mathematics was never my strong point so anything that makes it a little easier :E

ant152
1st Sep 2010, 21:22
This post is for the benefit of silverknapper.

Listen Darling- don't come onto pprune and write stuff that you can't back up. You are either bitter and twisted for one reason or another about FTE, (perhaps because you failed the course or failed the assessment I'm not sure and will never know) or at integrated schools in general (which by the way is lovely thanks to the joys of freedom of speech), but don't you dare come onto pprune and slag the place off without any backing. If you cared to do some research as perhaps the beacon of hope that is shifty may have done, you would see that various airlines have come here before most schools in europe, not to mention Emirates arguably the biggest and most successful airlines in the current world have signed a massive contract here. With Thomas Cook just an example of new airlines who keep popping up (not to mention Flybe, Qatar, Cityjet to name a few), there is clear shoots of recovery at the moment.

And by the way FTE being half full: the place is overflowing right now and is more of a big construction project right now because there are not enough places, thanks to Emirates and the demand self sponsored students.

Ok rant over, and if you want to bitch come down and say it to the students directly.

pitot_noob
1st Sep 2010, 21:46
You just ruined a good post with that "Listen darling".

Shame.

Bombs Away
2nd Sep 2010, 09:03
emm ok :confused: :confused: :confused:
Could someone please answer my question :confused:

pretty please :)

PGSingularity
2nd Sep 2010, 09:16
Bombs away, before you explode..(sorry couldn't resist)

You don't need a CRP-5 for the tests, they are examining your raw aptitude. just a scientific calculator really.

Just revise the material I think they give you before hand, and I'm afraid to say if that is beyond you, I'd hold off for a while and get that area solid.

Hope that helps.

Bombs Away
2nd Sep 2010, 19:35
Thanks for the reply :)

Have gone over the pre test guidance material a few times and most of it is pretty easy although maths was never my strong point. The only reason I was asking about the CRP-5 is that one of the of the topics on it was in relation to resultant vectors, specifically in relation to aircraft heading's and airspeeds corrected for wind and wind velocity to find track and groundspeed.

The only way I can do this is with a whizz wheel or drawing it to scale so was just wondering if we could bring one. Thanks for the info though.

MD101
6th Dec 2010, 19:44
Hey shIfty how are things, any chance you could e-mail that Pre Test stuff you acquired while doing it?

Any help, much appreciated. :ok:

_ShIfTy_
7th Dec 2010, 17:48
Hi, Things are ok thank you. If you PM me your email address I will send you some stuff.

flyingmam254
23rd Jul 2011, 16:31
Hey does anyone know if u can use a calculator for all the exams or not, also if there are formulas required for physics question do they give u the formula to work with.

Cheers

L0wFly3r
23rd Jul 2011, 17:54
Yes you can use a calculator, best to bring your own, However they don't give you equations, as you're supposed to know them. That's also including the maths tests as well.

Hope that helps! and best of luck. :ok:

wegdan
23rd Jul 2011, 17:54
is there any guarantee to find job after paying this huge amount of money 100k euros in self sponsored training ?????

L0wFly3r
23rd Jul 2011, 18:48
Not really. As far as I know, there is never a guarantee... It's just a risk you have to take.

flyingmam254
24th Jul 2011, 13:15
cheers for that,

Do u know if they ask equations others than thoes on the hand out sheet that they give, im just wondering should i start studyin how to find points on a line and the slope of a line and all that stuff. If its only the equations on the sheet ill be pretty ok.

Thanks

MrBrightside
25th Jul 2011, 14:02
Do FTE use the full pilapt suite of tests or select ones?

Cheers

L0wFly3r
25th Jul 2011, 21:42
@flyingmam254 : Yes they only cover some of the material on the guide they send you. So it's a good idea, to actually gen yourself up on everything! Physics and Maths wise.

@MrBrightside : They select the tests on the PilApt. But there is more info here: http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/350915-flight-training-europe-assessment-day.html

Hope that helps! :ok:

MrBrightside
26th Jul 2011, 11:51
Cheers for that L0wFly3r.

One last question; I know the use of calculators is allowed but is there any non calculator requirement for any of the tests? numerical reasoning?

L0wFly3r
26th Jul 2011, 12:55
No problem MrBrightside.

If I remember correctly, I wasn't told not to use a calculator for the tests I did. But this was back in May. However you do need to be confident on your equations for the maths & physics.

shorty79
27th Jul 2011, 16:33
Hi,

I'm just reading through the 'pre test guidance material', as supplied by FTE.

I appreciate that the maths / physics equations, e.g. area of a circle and ohm's law, are not supplied.

Has anyone encoutered the more unusual equations they mention, e.g. aerodynamics, left drag and desnity (bottom of page 3 in the pdf)?
Also, 'maximum theoretical range of a radio facility' and 'specific gravity' (page 4)?

To my knowledge these are not commonly used GCSE level formulae - will they be supplied or do we need to learn them?

Thanks.

L0wFly3r
28th Jul 2011, 17:14
Hi Shorty79,

If I was you I'd gen up on the equations you mentioned as they do occur in the Numerical reasoning! I do also remember a question on wave lengths.. And also pressure!

They however don't give you the equations in the three exams; accept one question, when they have four equations, and you have to say which equation is correct.

Hope that helps.. Good luck! :ok:

L0wFly3r.

RNAVapproach
1st Aug 2011, 08:18
Any conversions you need to remember?