PDA

View Full Version : Which tractor for small grassy airport

ILblog
14th Mar 2010, 12:34
Hi

We look for a tractor, thad will do a heavy duty work in small grass airport in Prague. The airport has 800m long RWY and the total area of aerodrome is around 220.000 m2.

We want to maintain the grass on airfield, and also to get rid of the snow during winter.

We do not plan to tow planes with tractor.

Is there any operator, who can reccomend us good tractor for airport? We look for 100% reliability, nothing is more important for us.

inbalance
15th Mar 2010, 09:45
We have tried several Kind of tractors, just to find out that only an MB Truck can do the Job.

We use a MB Truck 1000 with front and rear hydraulics now.
It is used for gras cutting and also for snow removal.
Easy to maintain and due to its 4 weel drive never had problems in winter.

Inbalance

ILblog
15th Mar 2010, 18:40
Thank you for Advice

It seems to me they do not poduce them any more, but there are some used on a market.

IL

ILblog
15th Mar 2010, 19:19
Do you think that Mercedes Unimog, can make the same job as MB Trac?

IL

inbalance
16th Mar 2010, 09:12
Shure the Unimog can do the Job, but visibility is much better from the MB Trac.
That will safe your Runwaylights during Grass cuting and Snow removal.

The MB Trac was produced by Mercedes Benz until 1991.
Now it is built with some modifications by a different company called
Werner Forst und Industrietechnik.

The Name has also changed, it is called WF Trac now.

Inbalance

NutLoose
26th Mar 2010, 12:39
East Midlands Airport uses JCB fast tracks for the winter stuff and as a farm tractor would be suited to grass cutting though I do not think they are cheap.

JCB: Airport (http://www.jcb.com/products/industryoverview.aspx?IID=2)

Probably have some photos of them being used in the winter, if you want I could post some up for you.

a330jockey
26th Mar 2010, 17:23
A Massey Ferguson 135 tractor is in my opinion your best tractor for the job in hand.:ok:

ILblog
12th Apr 2010, 15:04
At the end we have choosen Kioti EX50.

Hydraulics in front, and rear, quiet, reliable, 4x4, special tyres for grass. Can be fueled with Jet A-1.