PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine IR

Okavango
14th Mar 2010, 12:26
Hi. I'm modular, have just completed my ATPL's and midway through hour building. Originally I was going to complete hours, then do CPL, then ME/IR at some later date if/when the economy was looking rosier. I'm just wondering whether there would be any disadvantage in doing a single engine IR now, or maybe it's advantageous to sharpen up all skills as soon as possible to embed them in my flying and also safer in terms of encountering any IMC.

I realise the SEIR is no real use for employment, though I guess I'll definitelty commit to an IR at some stage to keep the ATPL's so may as well do it sooner rather than later. Doing the CPL first, there would be 25 hours left to build after test to license issue in any case (assuming a min hours pass), which could be considered dead time.

If I was to do this, is the only disadvantage that the IR test would have to be repeated on a multi, if/when I decided to go for a frozen ATPL, or do parts of IR training have to be repeated? As you'd need to keep a multi valid (for lets say 2 yrs as I'm only concerned with SE ops for the foreseeable future) and it's more than likely no use anyway at present, then it doesn't seem too uneconomic to progress this way (ie the extra cost of the MEIR test in addition to the earlier SEIR test would be offset somewhat by any ME revalidations). Hope this makes sense and thanks for any input.

wheelbrace
15th Mar 2010, 10:12
If I was doing what you're doing knowing what I now know about the marketplace, I'd go and do the SEIR. Cheaper, faster, no practical application but tick in the box. Job done. ATPL theory safe.

Rfortes
16th Mar 2010, 13:03
Hi,
I've done my IRSE initially just because my ATPL were about to expire. If I had to do it again, I would do straight to MEIR.
Why:
1. more ME time , more practice on assymetric flight.
2. Less money to pay the CAA (only one exam)
3. The saving by doing SEIR first it's minimal.

I would also consider doing the CPL on ME aircrfat.

Best of luck,
Rfortes