PDA

View Full Version : Varsity Express

Pages : [1] 2

Potential
17th Jan 2010, 22:43
I've just discovered the website for Varsity Express, who are planning to operate a Jetstream 31 from (London) Oxford Airport to Edinburgh. They intend to have flights every weekday starting at the beginning of March with one-way flights from £49.

They are registered at Companies House WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information (http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/3143792b300fe762e54d03eee1c946ff/compdetails) and are backed by a private consortium of British and Spanish investors previously involved in property development and the entertainment industry. The company claim to be "well funded with sufficient reserves to launch what will be the first of a number of planned domestic routes over the coming year." They are planning to operate a Jetstream 31 on wet lease from a charter company based at Humberside and are recruiting for a type rated Captain and cabin crew.

Anyone know anything further or have any comments?

Potential
17th Jan 2010, 22:43
I've just discovered the website for Varsity Express, who are planning to operate a Jetstream 31 from (London) Oxford Airport to Edinburgh. They intend to have flights every weekday starting at the beginning of March with one-way flights from £49.

They are registered at Companies House WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information (http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/3143792b300fe762e54d03eee1c946ff/compdetails) and are backed by a private consortium of British and Spanish investors previously involved in property development and the entertainment industry. The company claim to be "well funded with sufficient reserves to launch what will be the first of a number of planned domestic routes over the coming year." They are planning to operate a Jetstream 31 on wet lease from a charter company based at Humberside and are recruiting for a type rated Captain and cabin crew.

Anyone know anything further or have any comments?

Cyrano
18th Jan 2010, 10:09
Professional website, modest start.

The schedule shows an aircraft flying EDI-OXF in the evening and OXF-EDI in the morning- not sure if it's an Oxford-based aircraft doing a day stop in EDI or an EDI aircraft night-stopping in OXF. Hopefully there is some other flying for the aircraft (whether for Varsity Express or another contract) fitting around this.

I guess my initial question is just about the economics. There are lead-in fares of £49 including taxes and £149 flexible, both one-way. Taxes are shown as £16.64 one-way so (let's just take these numbers for the time being) that means that a one-way passenger is netting the airline either £33 or £133. Managing a 60% load factor day in day out would be a good achievement - that's about 11 passengers per flight. And let's assume that six of those book the cheap fare and five the expensive fare (these are just assumptions - I obviously don't know their planned RM policy or the size of the market). That gives revenue of £863 per flight to cover the ACMI and fuel and overheads. It's a 90 minute flight - that revenue figure feels just about doable but a bit tight. I don't think it's sustainable as a standalone operation but as noted they plan to diversify, which would allow them to spread some of the overhead.

So the jury may still be out, but it's several light years more credible than Excelsis! ;) [what is the standard unit of credibility anyway? the "reciprocal Ryanair"? :cool:]

Cyrano
18th Jan 2010, 10:09
Professional website, modest start.

The schedule shows an aircraft flying EDI-OXF in the evening and OXF-EDI in the morning- not sure if it's an Oxford-based aircraft doing a day stop in EDI or an EDI aircraft night-stopping in OXF. Hopefully there is some other flying for the aircraft (whether for Varsity Express or another contract) fitting around this.

I guess my initial question is just about the economics. There are lead-in fares of £49 including taxes and £149 flexible, both one-way. Taxes are shown as £16.64 one-way so (let's just take these numbers for the time being) that means that a one-way passenger is netting the airline either £33 or £133. Managing a 60% load factor day in day out would be a good achievement - that's about 11 passengers per flight. And let's assume that six of those book the cheap fare and five the expensive fare (these are just assumptions - I obviously don't know their planned RM policy or the size of the market). That gives revenue of £863 per flight to cover the ACMI and fuel and overheads. It's a 90 minute flight - that revenue figure feels just about doable but a bit tight. I don't think it's sustainable as a standalone operation but as noted they plan to diversify, which would allow them to spread some of the overhead.

So the jury may still be out, but it's several light years more credible than Excelsis! ;) [what is the standard unit of credibility anyway? the "reciprocal Ryanair"? :cool:]

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 11:01
Interesting. London(!) Oxford Airport have been crying out for flights to Scotland for sometime and I can see the J31 being about the right size of aircraft to get things off the ground. One just has to hope that a start up company like this is able to survive a very tough trading environment that exists at the moment.

That aside, the fares seem very reasonable, particularly when compared to the alternatives. I live nearby and might try the service out at some point if they get going.

Am I right in thinking this is Linksair in Humberside who are operating the flights? They only got their AOC late last year didn't they?

Good luck to them. The UK airline scene needs some good news!

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 11:01
Interesting. London(!) Oxford Airport have been crying out for flights to Scotland for sometime and I can see the J31 being about the right size of aircraft to get things off the ground. One just has to hope that a start up company like this is able to survive a very tough trading environment that exists at the moment.

That aside, the fares seem very reasonable, particularly when compared to the alternatives. I live nearby and might try the service out at some point if they get going.

Am I right in thinking this is Linksair in Humberside who are operating the flights? They only got their AOC late last year didn't they?

Good luck to them. The UK airline scene needs some good news!

airhumberside
18th Jan 2010, 12:29
Press release states its an ACMI deal with Linksair, who did indeed get their AOC last year

airhumberside
18th Jan 2010, 12:29
Press release states its an ACMI deal with Linksair, who did indeed get their AOC last year

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 12:35
Thanks airhumberside. Wikipedia shows them as being owned by a guy called David Lawrence with offices in Canary Wharf. All looks very promising, fingers crossed for them. Jersey and Geneva have both worked very well from Oxford, so I can't see them having any problems selling seats to Edinburgh.

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 12:35
Thanks airhumberside. Wikipedia shows them as being owned by a guy called David Lawrence with offices in Canary Wharf. All looks very promising, fingers crossed for them. Jersey and Geneva have both worked very well from Oxford, so I can't see them having any problems selling seats to Edinburgh.

MUFC_fan
18th Jan 2010, 16:02
Oxford, a very affluent area of the country, added to the fact it has a world class university - could IOM be a good destination?

Glad to hear of a new airline which is well financially backed looking to start operations!:ok:

MUFC_fan
18th Jan 2010, 16:02
Oxford, a very affluent area of the country, added to the fact it has a world class university - could IOM be a good destination?

Glad to hear of a new airline which is well financially backed looking to start operations!:ok:

deltahotel9
18th Jan 2010, 16:09
Maybe they could add NCL too, beats 5 hours on a train which isn't cheap anyway especially if you go 1st class (£300+ return). My once a month journey might not make the service viable though :rolleyes:

deltahotel9
18th Jan 2010, 16:09
Maybe they could add NCL too, beats 5 hours on a train which isn't cheap anyway especially if you go 1st class (£300+ return). My once a month journey might not make the service viable though :rolleyes:

Trusted1963
18th Jan 2010, 16:46
Good luck to them lets hope the usual 'my cup is half empty' brigade stay in the wings on this one. OXF-EDI is a no-brainer compared to the train, other airport connections or of course the environmentally friendly automobile! Putting it into perspective it's 18/19 seats one rotation a day M-F service from an affluent area and with an excellent catchment..I hope it works for them:ok:

Trusted1963
18th Jan 2010, 16:46
Good luck to them lets hope the usual 'my cup is half empty' brigade stay in the wings on this one. OXF-EDI is a no-brainer compared to the train, other airport connections or of course the environmentally friendly automobile! Putting it into perspective it's 18/19 seats one rotation a day M-F service from an affluent area and with an excellent catchment..I hope it works for them:ok:

learjet50
18th Jan 2010, 18:23
Re Oxf-EDi

Sorry Guys it will not work

Wrong A/c Wrong oute Wrong Fare

Its all been tried in the UK As the Record By Billy Paul says

Only the strong survive

Sorrry to throw a dampner on this

But this is a no goer and it depends how long they can fly the route with 1-2 Pax at 49 pounds (NOT LONG)

Regards

learjet50
18th Jan 2010, 18:23
Re Oxf-EDi

Sorry Guys it will not work

Wrong A/c Wrong oute Wrong Fare

Its all been tried in the UK As the Record By Billy Paul says

Only the strong survive

Sorrry to throw a dampner on this

But this is a no goer and it depends how long they can fly the route with 1-2 Pax at 49 pounds (NOT LONG)

Regards

Potential
18th Jan 2010, 18:42
I've been doing a bit more digging into Varsity and Linksair using the Companies House website.

Varsity Express are registered as Varsity Air Services Ltd and have their registered office as an address at Canary Wharf, though they are also associated with an address in North Oxford.

Linksair have previously been known as Flintpark Ltd until 1983 and London Flight Centre (Stansted) Ltd until 2007. It appears that they may also have links with Diamond Air Charter Ltd. Does anybody know anything further about these businesses?

Potential
18th Jan 2010, 18:42
I've been doing a bit more digging into Varsity and Linksair using the Companies House website.

Varsity Express are registered as Varsity Air Services Ltd and have their registered office as an address at Canary Wharf, though they are also associated with an address in North Oxford.

Linksair have previously been known as Flintpark Ltd until 1983 and London Flight Centre (Stansted) Ltd until 2007. It appears that they may also have links with Diamond Air Charter Ltd. Does anybody know anything further about these businesses?

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 18:57
Whois shows the web site as being registered in Suffolk. Looking at the Linksair web site they are relatively new and their AOC was issued last year. As far as I can tell their aircraft was up for charter through Diamond Air Charter.

Learjet50, I disagree with you. I live in Oxford and I really believe there are plenty of people who will use a service to Edinburgh. Flybe or someone like that would have been nice, but at the moment we'll take anything over the train.

I just hope they don't crew their aircraft with snotty nosed wannabe fly gods from OAA.

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 18:57
Whois shows the web site as being registered in Suffolk. Looking at the Linksair web site they are relatively new and their AOC was issued last year. As far as I can tell their aircraft was up for charter through Diamond Air Charter.

Learjet50, I disagree with you. I live in Oxford and I really believe there are plenty of people who will use a service to Edinburgh. Flybe or someone like that would have been nice, but at the moment we'll take anything over the train.

I just hope they don't crew their aircraft with snotty nosed wannabe fly gods from OAA.

Potential
18th Jan 2010, 19:03
I just hope they don't crew their aiircraft with snotty nosed wannabe fly gods from OAA.

I trained at OAA and I'd like to think that I didn't turn out as a 'snotty nosed wannabe fly God' as a result.

Anyway, newbies are not applicable due to the minimum hours requirement and lack of type rating.

Potential
18th Jan 2010, 19:03
I just hope they don't crew their aiircraft with snotty nosed wannabe fly gods from OAA.

I trained at OAA and I'd like to think that I didn't turn out as a 'snotty nosed wannabe fly God' as a result.

Anyway, newbies are not applicable due to the minimum hours requirement and lack of type rating.

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 19:08
Apologies, I am referring to those who are selling their souls (well, actually paying to have their souls removed!) by OAA at £34k+ a time to easyJet and bmi with no hope of a job. Not those who did their initial training at OAA. These pay to fly cadets are the reason that I am now without a job and my wife and kids are starring into the abyss.

Oxjob
18th Jan 2010, 19:08
Apologies, I am referring to those who are selling their souls (well, actually paying to have their souls removed!) by OAA at £34k+ a time to easyJet and bmi with no hope of a job. Not those who did their initial training at OAA. These pay to fly cadets are the reason that I am now without a job and my wife and kids are starring into the abyss.

woofly31
18th Jan 2010, 19:19
Their Website shows requirements for a Captain rated on the J31/32. Also a link for Cabin Crew. Does anyone know if they are recruiting First Officers,seems strange that they are recruiting and not Liksair who are providing the acft.:confused:

airhumberside
19th Jan 2010, 13:24
Potential - Linksair started operations last year. They have a Type B operating license with a registered office in Hull. Operationally they are based at HUY and operate charters with a Jetstream 31, owned by Diamond Air Charter who have an office in Grimsby. Maintenance is carried out by Roissy International

This thread is from last year http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/341677-new-j31-operator-diamond-air-charter.html

airhumberside
19th Jan 2010, 13:24
Potential - Linksair started operations last year. They have a Type B operating license with a registered office in Hull. Operationally they are based at HUY and operate charters with a Jetstream 31, owned by Diamond Air Charter who have an office in Grimsby. Maintenance is carried out by Roissy International

This thread is from last year http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/341677-new-j31-operator-diamond-air-charter.html

NorthSouth
19th Jan 2010, 15:21
I've often wondered how an airline can provide scheduled services with just one aircraft. :hmm:
NS

NorthSouth
19th Jan 2010, 15:21
I've often wondered how an airline can provide scheduled services with just one aircraft. :hmm:
NS

Oxjob
19th Jan 2010, 16:32
I emailed the airline for some more information and got an email back from a guy called Will Gilligan. Apparently they are launching ticket sales tomorrow, they have two aircraft through Linksair one which they are leasing and another which is available to them in case of tech issues. They seem to already have flight crew sadly as I was going to put an application through with them but they aren't looking to take on an old air dog like me!

Good luck to them I say! I'll be using them at some point I'm sure.

Oxjob
19th Jan 2010, 16:32
I emailed the airline for some more information and got an email back from a guy called Will Gilligan. Apparently they are launching ticket sales tomorrow, they have two aircraft through Linksair one which they are leasing and another which is available to them in case of tech issues. They seem to already have flight crew sadly as I was going to put an application through with them but they aren't looking to take on an old air dog like me!

Good luck to them I say! I'll be using them at some point I'm sure.

learjet50
19th Jan 2010, 18:33
re the first post

The Investors have been involved in UK/Spanish properties

and the entertaiment industry

Does anybody in property make a profit right now NO

One of the threads stated Jersey and Geneva seem to have done well

Jersey is a seasonal route for Charters etc so thats no comparison

Geneve is a seasonal route Winter only and looking at the Pax numbers it cant be making Money

I Can only wish Varsity Express the best of luck but hope they have lots of tissues when the crying starts

learjet50
19th Jan 2010, 18:33
re the first post

The Investors have been involved in UK/Spanish properties

and the entertaiment industry

Does anybody in property make a profit right now NO

One of the threads stated Jersey and Geneva seem to have done well

Jersey is a seasonal route for Charters etc so thats no comparison

Geneve is a seasonal route Winter only and looking at the Pax numbers it cant be making Money

I Can only wish Varsity Express the best of luck but hope they have lots of tissues when the crying starts

Potential
19th Jan 2010, 23:29
The Varsity story has just got very interesting....I've done a credit check on the company and Martin Halstead is listed as a director. For the uninformed, he was the young lad behind Alpha One, an airline that never quite made it back in 2005. The initially intended to fly an Oxford-Cambridge shuttle, but that was later abandoned in favour of operating out of Isle of Man, initially to Southampton or Edinburgh. Other proposed destinations from IOM included Jersey, Cardiff and Leeds.

I know that some of the posts that will follow will be purely to slag off Mr Halstead, but this guy has to be given some credit for his commitment and perseverance. Good luck to him! He deserves to succeed. :ok: With his experience of what went wrong with Alpha One, maybe this time he might just live up to his 'Baby Branson' nickname...

Potential
19th Jan 2010, 23:29
The Varsity story has just got very interesting....I've done a credit check on the company and Martin Halstead is listed as a director. For the uninformed, he was the young lad behind Alpha One, an airline that never quite made it back in 2005. The initially intended to fly an Oxford-Cambridge shuttle, but that was later abandoned in favour of operating out of Isle of Man, initially to Southampton or Edinburgh. Other proposed destinations from IOM included Jersey, Cardiff and Leeds.

I know that some of the posts that will follow will be purely to slag off Mr Halstead, but this guy has to be given some credit for his commitment and perseverance. Good luck to him! He deserves to succeed. :ok: With his experience of what went wrong with Alpha One, maybe this time he might just live up to his 'Baby Branson' nickname...

The SSK
20th Jan 2010, 09:11
This seems like a case of once bitten, twice bitten.

The lunacy of this project boggles me. The commercial viability of OXF-CBG was zero, in the case of Edinburgh it’s maybe double that.

At £49 one way plus booking fee (are they legally allowed to advertise £49 if all bookings attract an extra fee?) they might get some traffic but they can’t make money. I notice from the booking engine (yes, I tried it) that £16+ goes in fees and charges, which leaves even less to pay the bills.

Two aircraft available for the service? Hmm. Profitable airlines work their shorthaul aircraft ten hours a day, every day. Here you have two aircraft providing three hours of money-earning flight time, five days a week.

Did I say profitable airlines? This is the worst time in history for the airline business.

Of course, if they prove me wrong and are still flying by 2012, they will be hit (like everybody else) with the EU emissions trading scheme. Are they up to date with all the paperwork, have they submitted their business plan, have they factored it into their financial projections?

I fear they have a lot of hard lessons to learn and they will learn them sooner rather than later.

The SSK
20th Jan 2010, 09:11
This seems like a case of once bitten, twice bitten.

The lunacy of this project boggles me. The commercial viability of OXF-CBG was zero, in the case of Edinburgh it’s maybe double that.

At £49 one way plus booking fee (are they legally allowed to advertise £49 if all bookings attract an extra fee?) they might get some traffic but they can’t make money. I notice from the booking engine (yes, I tried it) that £16+ goes in fees and charges, which leaves even less to pay the bills.

Two aircraft available for the service? Hmm. Profitable airlines work their shorthaul aircraft ten hours a day, every day. Here you have two aircraft providing three hours of money-earning flight time, five days a week.

Did I say profitable airlines? This is the worst time in history for the airline business.

Of course, if they prove me wrong and are still flying by 2012, they will be hit (like everybody else) with the EU emissions trading scheme. Are they up to date with all the paperwork, have they submitted their business plan, have they factored it into their financial projections?

I fear they have a lot of hard lessons to learn and they will learn them sooner rather than later.

Hansard
20th Jan 2010, 09:21
Stumbled across a non-aviation website recently for another venture involving Martin Halstead. His bio said he'd previously set up a Regional Airline and sold it at a huge profit.

Hansard
20th Jan 2010, 09:21
Stumbled across a non-aviation website recently for another venture involving Martin Halstead. His bio said he'd previously set up a Regional Airline and sold it at a huge profit.

Avioactive
20th Jan 2010, 18:52
Shame on you miserable cynics out there!

Of all the untapped, untried, UK domestic routes out there, OXF-EDI has got to be a goldmine. There’s nothing wrong with the viability of the route, it’s the viability of any new start-up that is the point. You can debate about the operator, the aircraft type/size/age, the schedule and the ticket pricing, but the route is fantastic.
The likes of Farnborough or Biggin Hill would kill to have a daily ‘business’ shuttle to Edinburgh – but they can’t because they’re not allowed scheduled services. Oxford is and they appear to be opening the doors to niche airlines for the first time with the Jersey, Geneva and now daily EDI services. Just look at the CAA stats for private charters between the London region and Scotland.
Oxford is so viable – until now, it’s the only major city in the UK that hasn’t had a regional airport nearby offering regional airline services, there’s no competition for over an hour in any direction - it's not like say poor old Coventry and Birmingham. It’s in the richest part of the UK (Oxon/Berks/Bucks) with the highest GVA, highest growth, millions within an hour’s drive up and down the relatively uncongested M40 and it’s the third most visited city in England outside of London – 10 million visitors for goodness sake!
Edinburgh and Oxford are cultural and academic epicentres. The train services between the two are, for 2010, utterly hopeless - and mind-blowingly expensive. A flexible first class return ticket costs £470 and the service averages over 6 hours each way with at least one train change each way – the Flying Scotsman did better than that, and that ate coal!
There are loads of barriers to success in this business but it’s a good start to have a good route and no competition. As for the airline, hopefully they have all their ducks in a row and the actual operator, Linksair, know what they are doing - the CAA have given them an AOC, so presumably they do?
As arguably the first time in history an Oxfordshire resident can practically do a hassle free, day-return business trip to Scotland, logic says it might work!
Good luck to you and all that sail in your vessel.

Avioactive
20th Jan 2010, 18:52
Shame on you miserable cynics out there!

Of all the untapped, untried, UK domestic routes out there, OXF-EDI has got to be a goldmine. There’s nothing wrong with the viability of the route, it’s the viability of any new start-up that is the point. You can debate about the operator, the aircraft type/size/age, the schedule and the ticket pricing, but the route is fantastic.
The likes of Farnborough or Biggin Hill would kill to have a daily ‘business’ shuttle to Edinburgh – but they can’t because they’re not allowed scheduled services. Oxford is and they appear to be opening the doors to niche airlines for the first time with the Jersey, Geneva and now daily EDI services. Just look at the CAA stats for private charters between the London region and Scotland.
Oxford is so viable – until now, it’s the only major city in the UK that hasn’t had a regional airport nearby offering regional airline services, there’s no competition for over an hour in any direction - it's not like say poor old Coventry and Birmingham. It’s in the richest part of the UK (Oxon/Berks/Bucks) with the highest GVA, highest growth, millions within an hour’s drive up and down the relatively uncongested M40 and it’s the third most visited city in England outside of London – 10 million visitors for goodness sake!
Edinburgh and Oxford are cultural and academic epicentres. The train services between the two are, for 2010, utterly hopeless - and mind-blowingly expensive. A flexible first class return ticket costs £470 and the service averages over 6 hours each way with at least one train change each way – the Flying Scotsman did better than that, and that ate coal!
There are loads of barriers to success in this business but it’s a good start to have a good route and no competition. As for the airline, hopefully they have all their ducks in a row and the actual operator, Linksair, know what they are doing - the CAA have given them an AOC, so presumably they do?
As arguably the first time in history an Oxfordshire resident can practically do a hassle free, day-return business trip to Scotland, logic says it might work!
Good luck to you and all that sail in your vessel.

Buster the Bear
20th Jan 2010, 19:45
Mind the gliders, Balloons, ultra lights, microlights, parachutists......in the FIR!

Have Air Southwest confirmed for 2010 summer as they encountered quite a few of the above whilst using Oxford at the weekend!

Buster the Bear
20th Jan 2010, 19:45
Mind the gliders, Balloons, ultra lights, microlights, parachutists......in the FIR!

Have Air Southwest confirmed for 2010 summer as they encountered quite a few of the above whilst using Oxford at the weekend!

Tequilaboy
20th Jan 2010, 21:56
Nothing too wrong with them. Chartered a flight in December and used their J31. All went fine, good crew, good service, happy clients.

All you want really?

TB

Tequilaboy
20th Jan 2010, 21:56
Nothing too wrong with them. Chartered a flight in December and used their J31. All went fine, good crew, good service, happy clients.

All you want really?

TB

22/04
20th Jan 2010, 22:01
The problem is not with the route but the operation.

Even if they were full you can't sustian an operation on a one aeroplane one route basis.

The route may be viable but needs an established operator for whom it would be just part of what the aeroplane does.

22/04
20th Jan 2010, 22:01
The problem is not with the route but the operation.

Even if they were full you can't sustian an operation on a one aeroplane one route basis.

The route may be viable but needs an established operator for whom it would be just part of what the aeroplane does.

Potential
20th Jan 2010, 22:52
Hansard, would you care to share that "non-aviation website" you mentioned?

22/04, every new operator has to start somewhere. On the face of it Oxford to Edinburgh seems like it could be a good start and I'm sure that Varsity don't plan to only fly this route once a day for ever more. I would imagine, that they'll already have ideas for at least their 2nd and 3rd route.

Potential
20th Jan 2010, 22:52
Hansard, would you care to share that "non-aviation website" you mentioned?

22/04, every new operator has to start somewhere. On the face of it Oxford to Edinburgh seems like it could be a good start and I'm sure that Varsity don't plan to only fly this route once a day for ever more. I would imagine, that they'll already have ideas for at least their 2nd and 3rd route.

Oxjob
20th Jan 2010, 23:28
I think Air Southwest have been replaced by CityJet for the Jersey flights this summer, not sure if the Baboo flights will be back again though, rumour has it the loads have been around 55% so far.

Just booked three sets of flights with Varsity for March and April, all very smooth and professional. If this Halestead chap is behind it he seems to have learnt his lessons from a few years ago, let's at least give him some credit, a year is a long time in politics and even longer in aviation. When did all that alpha air stuff happen anyway? I seem to remember it was a long while back. Wasn't there another young lad trying to run flights from Liverpool too a few years back?

Let's just sit it out and see how it goes. Oxford is a growing market. I look forward to my flights with great anticipation and I think we should be supporting new businesses during times like these.

Oxjob
20th Jan 2010, 23:28
I think Air Southwest have been replaced by CityJet for the Jersey flights this summer, not sure if the Baboo flights will be back again though, rumour has it the loads have been around 55% so far.

Just booked three sets of flights with Varsity for March and April, all very smooth and professional. If this Halestead chap is behind it he seems to have learnt his lessons from a few years ago, let's at least give him some credit, a year is a long time in politics and even longer in aviation. When did all that alpha air stuff happen anyway? I seem to remember it was a long while back. Wasn't there another young lad trying to run flights from Liverpool too a few years back?

Let's just sit it out and see how it goes. Oxford is a growing market. I look forward to my flights with great anticipation and I think we should be supporting new businesses during times like these.

ATCO Fred
21st Jan 2010, 11:36

Nah - no problem - so long as everyone behaves appropriately:D Anyway - at 0800 most GA flyers will still be having breakfast :E

ATCO Fred
21st Jan 2010, 11:36

Nah - no problem - so long as everyone behaves appropriately:D Anyway - at 0800 most GA flyers will still be having breakfast :E

jetstreamtechrecords
31st Jan 2010, 20:26
He was the ultimate self publicist who promised loads but delivered diddly squat and left behing a lot of unhappy people. He sort of means well but hasnt got the experience or the ££££s to get this running.:{ Sad.

jetstreamtechrecords
31st Jan 2010, 20:26
He was the ultimate self publicist who promised loads but delivered diddly squat and left behing a lot of unhappy people. He sort of means well but hasnt got the experience or the ££££s to get this running.:{ Sad.

Van G
1st Feb 2010, 10:55
Any pilots been taken on??

Wasn't too impressed by the deal - pay for your own rating and be bonded for 2 years...

Anyone attend the assessment day?

Van G
1st Feb 2010, 10:55
Any pilots been taken on??

Wasn't too impressed by the deal - pay for your own rating and be bonded for 2 years...

Anyone attend the assessment day?

gg190
6th Feb 2010, 19:06

Only airline I would see as being interested in such a route would be Manx2, given that they already fly to Gloucester (just an hour up the road) I don't think Oxford would be for them.

You've also got Flybe to Luton which isn't that far away either.

gg190
6th Feb 2010, 19:06

Only airline I would see as being interested in such a route would be Manx2, given that they already fly to Gloucester (just an hour up the road) I don't think Oxford would be for them.

You've also got Flybe to Luton which isn't that far away either.

Captivep
7th Feb 2010, 11:42
Well, one thing Mr Halstead is clearly extremely good at is getting free, relatively uncritical publicity

Martin Halstead, nicknamed "Baby Branson" is back in the air - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article7017817.ece)

Captivep
7th Feb 2010, 11:42
Well, one thing Mr Halstead is clearly extremely good at is getting free, relatively uncritical publicity

Martin Halstead, nicknamed "Baby Branson" is back in the air - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article7017817.ece)

Daifly
7th Feb 2010, 15:49
I get suspicious when:

1. The registered office is a virtual one. 37th Floor, One Canada Square: http://www.easyoffices.com/virtual-offices/uk/London/Canada-Square/6309

2. There's no physical street address on the website (all the UK airlines have them on there before I'm told that "it's a modern webby thing" - it's not, it's a legal business requirement in the same way as letterheaded paper).

3. There's no corporate company name on the website (check your EU Direct Selling Regulations): Varsity Air Services Ltd seems to fit the bill though.

4. Varsity Air Services Ltd has one shareholder, Martin Halstead, with £100 of share capital (so how is he getting rewarded by the investors with a share of the company if it works when he already owns it?)

5. The "airline" is formed for £24.99 with http://www.companiesmadesimple.com

6. No mention anywhere in the entire internet world of "Will Gilligan" - I honestly can't believe that a "Commercial Director" isn't on linkedin at least these days - it's what they do. Whereas Martin Halsted, who has the makings of an exceptional self-publicist, is everywhere.

7. It's not an airline, it's a seat seller.

8. Nobody can run two flights a day supported by two aircraft - it just cannot work (as a "premium airline" particularly), even at £149 a seat.

9. I know the contracted "Aviation Consultant" working for them, nice guy. Great at airport marketing.

9. It's virtually the same story as last time - only this time against a background of a year on year fall in demand on London-Edinburgh passenger numbers, together with an Edinburgh-all domestic destinations fall in demand (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80).

Yes, the rail service between the two is rubbish, but that doesn't mean that all the passengers want to travel from Oxford to Edinburgh; you're trying to attract the Thames Valley catchment area, the majority of whom might just find it as simple to travel to Heathrow on the rather handy M4 and M40) where you have 17 flights (so you can delay or bring forward your journeys, not wait until the one flight a day); it'll only take a few incidences of a tech aircraft (I don't believe that second one is really just going to be sitting in Oxford or Edinburgh waiting to launch) or weather (I'll bow to being corrected on the better minima of Heathrow versus Oxford, but it's a gut feel of a J31 over an A320) to start to make people think "I might as well drive to Heathrow, at leas I'll get home that night".

I'm sorry that I'm so negative on this and I'm sure it'll get some backs up (particularly amongst the piloting fraternity who are looking for any faint glimmer of employment hope) but remember the adage "once bitten, twice shy" - I'm not knocking him for trying it (again) but it's virtually the same business model as Air Alpha One thingamebob and it just makes us all look like a bunch of people who take "punts" rather than logical aviation business decisions.

For the next few weeks there will be newspaper articles, interviews, press release after press release and whilst we should all encourage people to give business a shot I just know that it's going to be the same result.

God I'm getting cynical in my old age...

Daifly
7th Feb 2010, 15:49
I get suspicious when:

1. The registered office is a virtual one. 37th Floor, One Canada Square: http://www.easyoffices.com/virtual-offices/uk/London/Canada-Square/6309

2. There's no physical street address on the website (all the UK airlines have them on there before I'm told that "it's a modern webby thing" - it's not, it's a legal business requirement in the same way as letterheaded paper).

3. There's no corporate company name on the website (check your EU Direct Selling Regulations): Varsity Air Services Ltd seems to fit the bill though.

4. Varsity Air Services Ltd has one shareholder, Martin Halstead, with £100 of share capital (so how is he getting rewarded by the investors with a share of the company if it works when he already owns it?)

5. The "airline" is formed for £24.99 with http://www.companiesmadesimple.com

6. No mention anywhere in the entire internet world of "Will Gilligan" - I honestly can't believe that a "Commercial Director" isn't on linkedin at least these days - it's what they do. Whereas Martin Halsted, who has the makings of an exceptional self-publicist, is everywhere.

7. It's not an airline, it's a seat seller.

8. Nobody can run two flights a day supported by two aircraft - it just cannot work (as a "premium airline" particularly), even at £149 a seat.

9. I know the contracted "Aviation Consultant" working for them, nice guy. Great at airport marketing.

9. It's virtually the same story as last time - only this time against a background of a year on year fall in demand on London-Edinburgh passenger numbers, together with an Edinburgh-all domestic destinations fall in demand (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=80).

Yes, the rail service between the two is rubbish, but that doesn't mean that all the passengers want to travel from Oxford to Edinburgh; you're trying to attract the Thames Valley catchment area, the majority of whom might just find it as simple to travel to Heathrow on the rather handy M4 and M40) where you have 17 flights (so you can delay or bring forward your journeys, not wait until the one flight a day); it'll only take a few incidences of a tech aircraft (I don't believe that second one is really just going to be sitting in Oxford or Edinburgh waiting to launch) or weather (I'll bow to being corrected on the better minima of Heathrow versus Oxford, but it's a gut feel of a J31 over an A320) to start to make people think "I might as well drive to Heathrow, at leas I'll get home that night".

I'm sorry that I'm so negative on this and I'm sure it'll get some backs up (particularly amongst the piloting fraternity who are looking for any faint glimmer of employment hope) but remember the adage "once bitten, twice shy" - I'm not knocking him for trying it (again) but it's virtually the same business model as Air Alpha One thingamebob and it just makes us all look like a bunch of people who take "punts" rather than logical aviation business decisions.

For the next few weeks there will be newspaper articles, interviews, press release after press release and whilst we should all encourage people to give business a shot I just know that it's going to be the same result.

God I'm getting cynical in my old age...

NorthSouth
7th Feb 2010, 16:18
My guess is that one of the key factors which may test them will be whether their ops manual requires them to have a Deconfliction Service outside CAS. If it does, they'll regularly get vectored al over the shop by Brize, who will then dump them on to non-radar Oxford who then have to somehow fit them into all the other traffic doing procedural instrument approaches. And what happens if Brize says they can't provide a DS due to traffic density (a regular occurence in this area I suspect)? Mind you, none of this will be visible to the public, most of whom will be craning their necks out to the left as they crank into an avoiding left turn, while all the pilots and controllers on board crane their necks out to the right to se what they're trying to avoid!

All of this will have to have been put in a safety case which is signed off by the CAA. It would be very interesting to see what that says!

NS

NorthSouth
7th Feb 2010, 16:18
My guess is that one of the key factors which may test them will be whether their ops manual requires them to have a Deconfliction Service outside CAS. If it does, they'll regularly get vectored al over the shop by Brize, who will then dump them on to non-radar Oxford who then have to somehow fit them into all the other traffic doing procedural instrument approaches. And what happens if Brize says they can't provide a DS due to traffic density (a regular occurence in this area I suspect)? Mind you, none of this will be visible to the public, most of whom will be craning their necks out to the left as they crank into an avoiding left turn, while all the pilots and controllers on board crane their necks out to the right to se what they're trying to avoid!

All of this will have to have been put in a safety case which is signed off by the CAA. It would be very interesting to see what that says!

NS

Captivep
7th Feb 2010, 16:43
A very good analysis, Daifly!

Mind you, if Flyvarsity's Facebook pages are to be believed, then not only are sales going extremely well but the company is delighted that it has been named as the "world's prepiest (sic) airline."

Anybody care to guess who that quote actually comes from?

:rolleyes:

Captivep
7th Feb 2010, 16:43
A very good analysis, Daifly!

Mind you, if Flyvarsity's Facebook pages are to be believed, then not only are sales going extremely well but the company is delighted that it has been named as the "world's prepiest (sic) airline."

Anybody care to guess who that quote actually comes from?

:rolleyes:

IOMspotter
7th Feb 2010, 17:52
when they launched IOM - EDI schedule to great fanfare it operated...........................once with 3 pax and then got canned:{

IOMspotter
7th Feb 2010, 17:52
when they launched IOM - EDI schedule to great fanfare it operated...........................once with 3 pax and then got canned:{

Daffydil
7th Feb 2010, 18:15
Oxford falls into the same category as GLO with super fast handling and security clearance. Within two minutes of checking into OXF for a skiflight recently I was in the comfy lounge having a coffee. Compared to passing through LHR and LCY recently that is a big bonus.

But........................

I was asked if I wanted to do some work for Halstead Mk1 and wisely turned the offer down. Others were not so lucky. I expect everyone will treat this initial operation with due caution but I wish him and the airport the best of luck

Daffydil
Oxford falls into the same category as GLO with super fast handling and security clearance. Within two minutes of checking into OXF for a skiflight recently I was in the comfy lounge having a coffee. Compared to passing through LHR and LCY recently that is a big bonus.

But........................

I was asked if I wanted to do some work for Halstead Mk1 and wisely turned the offer down. Others were not so lucky. I expect everyone will treat this initial operation with due caution but I wish him and the airport the best of luck

learjet50
Daifly

As per my post of 18th Jan

Where does this Martin Halstead get his idea s from THE DANDY?BEANO

He is a total Idiot Oxford Edinburgh 1 round trip per day 2 A/C HA HA

His ideas are totally idiotic it will and never will Work

Oxford- Cambridge Yeh there are lots of students etc will traverse this route ??

His IOM Edinburgh was a total and utter laugh 3 Pax who were they

Halstead and hi s 2 Mates.

Why dont the CAA come down heavy on idiots which he clearly is

How many pax on Last weeks sKed (NOT MANY) I suspect

Tjis Guy is finding Idiots who think they can make a fortune I wish the idiots would pass there money my way..

THE GUY IS A TOTAL AND UTTER IDIOT AS ARE THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT HIM..

Give the Money to Cancer Reserach or something similar

VARISTY EXPRESS THE IDIOTS OF SHEDULED CARRIERS

learjet50
Daifly

As per my post of 18th Jan

Where does this Martin Halstead get his idea s from THE DANDY?BEANO

He is a total Idiot Oxford Edinburgh 1 round trip per day 2 A/C HA HA

His ideas are totally idiotic it will and never will Work

Oxford- Cambridge Yeh there are lots of students etc will traverse this route ??

His IOM Edinburgh was a total and utter laugh 3 Pax who were they

Halstead and hi s 2 Mates.

Why dont the CAA come down heavy on idiots which he clearly is

How many pax on Last weeks sKed (NOT MANY) I suspect

Tjis Guy is finding Idiots who think they can make a fortune I wish the idiots would pass there money my way..

THE GUY IS A TOTAL AND UTTER IDIOT AS ARE THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT HIM..

Give the Money to Cancer Reserach or something similar

VARISTY EXPRESS THE IDIOTS OF SHEDULED CARRIERS

Cloud1
7th Feb 2010, 19:04
Well if I had £1 for every time you said idiot or idiots I am sure I would have enough financial support to start my own airport very quickly ;)

Cloud1
7th Feb 2010, 19:04
Well if I had £1 for every time you said idiot or idiots I am sure I would have enough financial support to start my own airport very quickly ;)

Cpt. Sunshine
7th Feb 2010, 19:46
If I had £1 for every spelling mistake in learjet50's post, I'd have enough money to buy Varsity Express and a sports car to boot!

Anyway, good luck to them, it's nice to see someone with some faith in aviation. Whether that faith is misguided is yet to be seen.

Cpt. Sunshine
7th Feb 2010, 19:46
If I had £1 for every spelling mistake in learjet50's post, I'd have enough money to buy Varsity Express and a sports car to boot!

Anyway, good luck to them, it's nice to see someone with some faith in aviation. Whether that faith is misguided is yet to be seen.

ATCO Fred
7th Feb 2010, 19:48
My guess is that one of the key factors which may test them will be whether their ops manual requires them to have a Deconfliction Service outside CAS. If it does, they'll regularly get vectored al over the shop by Brize, who will then dump them on to non-radar Oxford

Unfortunately, at the flight times published 0800 out and 1830 back, Brize will not be operating (they are now LARS 0900-1700 - 7 days per week!) so it'll be APC to and fro Airways! Also, due to the relatively short flight times from CPT & DTY, Oxford work most of the commercial traffic both to and from Airways; unless Brize or Benson wish to work the traffic if they have specific (deconfliction Service) traffic to affect.

Traffic loading at these times is 'normaly' light. The only conflictor will be the 'Traffic Survey' C172 :-).

ATCO Fred
7th Feb 2010, 19:48
My guess is that one of the key factors which may test them will be whether their ops manual requires them to have a Deconfliction Service outside CAS. If it does, they'll regularly get vectored al over the shop by Brize, who will then dump them on to non-radar Oxford

Unfortunately, at the flight times published 0800 out and 1830 back, Brize will not be operating (they are now LARS 0900-1700 - 7 days per week!) so it'll be APC to and fro Airways! Also, due to the relatively short flight times from CPT & DTY, Oxford work most of the commercial traffic both to and from Airways; unless Brize or Benson wish to work the traffic if they have specific (deconfliction Service) traffic to affect.

Traffic loading at these times is 'normaly' light. The only conflictor will be the 'Traffic Survey' C172 :-).

ConstantFlyer
7th Feb 2010, 21:09
Cloud 1 / Capt. Sunshine

It's not learjet50's first offence; just see some of the posts in other threads.

ConstantFlyer
7th Feb 2010, 21:09
Cloud 1 / Capt. Sunshine

It's not learjet50's first offence; just see some of the posts in other threads.

cockygashandlazy
7th Feb 2010, 22:19
Varsity is a 'pay-to-fly' scam.

Co-pilots are all being drawn from Cabair. 10 Co-Pilots interviewed recently and all offered the chance to pay £15,000 for a Jetstream 31/32 rating. They will then be bonded for a further £15,000 over a period of 2 years. Moreover, paying and bonded for what? Varsity is at most a ticketing agent. They are using Linksair to fly the route. Varsity do not have an AOC or any of the other required aviation paraphernalia, like an aeroplane.....! But who cares? Give them £15,000 and you'll get a type rating! Right now it's all ideas, paper and other people's money. Martin Halstead will also be a Co-Pilot. So with 10 flights a week and 11 Co-Pilots, I'd suggest the new chaps aren't going to be doing much flying.

It seems to me that this is an interesting example of what is happening elsewhere. However, this time it seems that the airline has been set-up as a carrot to merely attract inexperienced pilots to pay to fly. Whilst the co-pilot is paying to be there, Varsity can afford to sell seats at £149 and only operate twice a day! The current schedule is not sustainable otherwise (I am aware of plans for more routes).

In my opinion this is not a traditional operation, just an elaborate way to extract more money from young pilots. Cabair are aware of this scam and should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Halstead on the other hand, may finally make his money out of those he is so desperate to join.

I know of many(~20) Jetstream 31/32 rated guys most with 1000+ hours on type, all rejected. All of whom know it does not cost £15,000 for a Jetstream type rating. The fact that there is a surplus of experienced and typed candidates surely negates the need to ask people to pay a start-up airline for a type rating?!

Please treat this with caution.

To those Cabair guys that have paid - I know it's tough out there, but would your money not be better spent elsewhere? Halstead's last operation lasted six weeks, this time may be better, but Ryanair/Easyjet/anywhere looks like a good deal compared to this.

cockygashandlazy
7th Feb 2010, 22:19
Varsity is a 'pay-to-fly' scam.

Co-pilots are all being drawn from Cabair. 10 Co-Pilots interviewed recently and all offered the chance to pay £15,000 for a Jetstream 31/32 rating. They will then be bonded for a further £15,000 over a period of 2 years. Moreover, paying and bonded for what? Varsity is at most a ticketing agent. They are using Linksair to fly the route. Varsity do not have an AOC or any of the other required aviation paraphernalia, like an aeroplane.....! But who cares? Give them £15,000 and you'll get a type rating! Right now it's all ideas, paper and other people's money. Martin Halstead will also be a Co-Pilot. So with 10 flights a week and 11 Co-Pilots, I'd suggest the new chaps aren't going to be doing much flying.

It seems to me that this is an interesting example of what is happening elsewhere. However, this time it seems that the airline has been set-up as a carrot to merely attract inexperienced pilots to pay to fly. Whilst the co-pilot is paying to be there, Varsity can afford to sell seats at £149 and only operate twice a day! The current schedule is not sustainable otherwise (I am aware of plans for more routes).

In my opinion this is not a traditional operation, just an elaborate way to extract more money from young pilots. Cabair are aware of this scam and should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Halstead on the other hand, may finally make his money out of those he is so desperate to join.

I know of many(~20) Jetstream 31/32 rated guys most with 1000+ hours on type, all rejected. All of whom know it does not cost £15,000 for a Jetstream type rating. The fact that there is a surplus of experienced and typed candidates surely negates the need to ask people to pay a start-up airline for a type rating?!

Please treat this with caution.

To those Cabair guys that have paid - I know it's tough out there, but would your money not be better spent elsewhere? Halstead's last operation lasted six weeks, this time may be better, but Ryanair/Easyjet/anywhere looks like a good deal compared to this.

Hansard
8th Feb 2010, 08:00
A very interesting angle........but why Cabair guys and not the OAA guys on the doorstep?

Whatever happened to the mates MH roped in last time?

Hansard
8th Feb 2010, 08:00
A very interesting angle........but why Cabair guys and not the OAA guys on the doorstep?

Whatever happened to the mates MH roped in last time?

transwede
8th Feb 2010, 15:02
Article in this months Airliner World detailing in brief the start ups plans, route network could include more than just EDI, with NCL among others mentioned.

transwede
8th Feb 2010, 15:02
Article in this months Airliner World detailing in brief the start ups plans, route network could include more than just EDI, with NCL among others mentioned.

niknak
8th Feb 2010, 15:40
No one, under any circumstances, should hand over money to Halstead, his tin pot venture or Linksair.
The reasons if not already apparent, will become totally obvious within a few weeks. just like they have done with all other Halstead pie in the sky attention seeking ideas.

jetstreamtechrecords
8th Feb 2010, 17:01
£15,000 a rating x 10. beats flying:\ I presume the money will be used to pay some of the court orders outstanding:confused:

jetstreamtechrecords
8th Feb 2010, 17:01
£15,000 a rating x 10. beats flying:\ I presume the money will be used to pay some of the court orders outstanding:confused:

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 18:05
Constantflyer/Cloud 1/ Captain Sunshine

Whilst my grammar spelling is not of A Level Pass Marks my Knowledge is

I have said in previous threads my Spelling is not at its best and I Apologise to those whom it offends.

However I Do Believe Varsity Express is a Total Scam.

You do not need 10 Co Pilots (plus Martin ????) to cover the routes they have or are proposing (Unless of course they pay you £15000 each) then have as may as you wish with a 2 year bond

Martin H is Pie in the Sky a young Lad with delusions of Grander which will all end in tears but not his tears I add

He is very good at using other peoples money and A/C ..

I only hope everybody gets Paid but I suspect they wont and lots of Young lads /Girls will give this Man lots of Money for a Rating on J31/J32 which in all honesty is not worth Dilly Squat today.

If you have 10 Co Pilots plus 1 Martin H how many captains do you need ??

Maximum on current schedule is 5 maybe 6
You have 2 A/C not on your A O C 10 Co Pilots ??? Captains

Linksair is the A O C Holder they sure as hell are not going to let Varsity Express pick up any ad hoc Charters

So with all the Pilots 2 Sectors a day 5 Days a week where will it all end

IN TEARS

\regards

P S Constantflyer

Found out how to use Spellcheck on computer and the word Idiot or Idiots has not appeared on the above thread
I am not trying to knock anybody but after 40 years in the business I think I smell a Rat
I have also heard ducks FxxT before

Good luck to all

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 18:05
Constantflyer/Cloud 1/ Captain Sunshine

Whilst my grammar spelling is not of A Level Pass Marks my Knowledge is

I have said in previous threads my Spelling is not at its best and I Apologise to those whom it offends.

However I Do Believe Varsity Express is a Total Scam.

You do not need 10 Co Pilots (plus Martin ????) to cover the routes they have or are proposing (Unless of course they pay you £15000 each) then have as may as you wish with a 2 year bond

Martin H is Pie in the Sky a young Lad with delusions of Grander which will all end in tears but not his tears I add

He is very good at using other peoples money and A/C ..

I only hope everybody gets Paid but I suspect they wont and lots of Young lads /Girls will give this Man lots of Money for a Rating on J31/J32 which in all honesty is not worth Dilly Squat today.

If you have 10 Co Pilots plus 1 Martin H how many captains do you need ??

Maximum on current schedule is 5 maybe 6
You have 2 A/C not on your A O C 10 Co Pilots ??? Captains

Linksair is the A O C Holder they sure as hell are not going to let Varsity Express pick up any ad hoc Charters

So with all the Pilots 2 Sectors a day 5 Days a week where will it all end

IN TEARS

\regards

P S Constantflyer

Found out how to use Spellcheck on computer and the word Idiot or Idiots has not appeared on the above thread
I am not trying to knock anybody but after 40 years in the business I think I smell a Rat
I have also heard ducks FxxT before

Good luck to all

Cpt. Sunshine
8th Feb 2010, 18:34
learjet50, sorry if I caused any offence from my little joke back there. hope i didnt :mad: you off.

What I'm struggling with is that if the flights are sold by Varsity Express under Linksair's AOC using their aircraft then surely all pilots are recruited by Linksair meaning any money for TRs etc. goes to Linksair not Varsity.

Cpt. Sunshine
8th Feb 2010, 18:34
learjet50, sorry if I caused any offence from my little joke back there. hope i didnt :mad: you off.

What I'm struggling with is that if the flights are sold by Varsity Express under Linksair's AOC using their aircraft then surely all pilots are recruited by Linksair meaning any money for TRs etc. goes to Linksair not Varsity.

Frogga
8th Feb 2010, 19:02
Surely Varsity Express nothing more than a name who sells tickets. If they are operating under someone elses AOC then they are the operator. Hopefully the CAA get involved and sort out this Martin Halstead who appears to be a wannabe wo wont ever succeed with these stupid ideas, before alot of people lose money in something that will never fly!

Frogga
8th Feb 2010, 19:02
Surely Varsity Express nothing more than a name who sells tickets. If they are operating under someone elses AOC then they are the operator. Hopefully the CAA get involved and sort out this Martin Halstead who appears to be a wannabe wo wont ever succeed with these stupid ideas, before alot of people lose money in something that will never fly!

TwinAisle
8th Feb 2010, 19:32
learjet50 -

I did the same sums and got the same answer. The cynical TA nose is sensing a rodent here, as I suspect yours did...

How does this business model pan out? Guy wants to be a pilot - fine. Manages to set up an airline that he can fly for - even finer.

But.

This is NOT an airline, it is a ticket vendor. WHY are pilots being recruited by VE when they do not have an AOC and therefore cannot employ them as pilots? It is for the lifting carrier - the AOC holder - to recruit and employ crew, NOT the agent.

Clarity. If you want to be a ticket seller, fine - sell tickets and get an ACMI operator to provide the lift on their licence and AOC. CAA happy.

Or. Get yourself an AOC, and a Type B op licence, and then you can fly for them, and you get to play with the aircraft and all the rest of the hoopla. Again, CAA happy.

But don't think you can fall into the grey area in the middle - being a ticket agent and working for the airline as well - Kingsway will uncoil and bite you in the bum, Mr H.....

TA

TwinAisle
8th Feb 2010, 19:32
learjet50 -

I did the same sums and got the same answer. The cynical TA nose is sensing a rodent here, as I suspect yours did...

How does this business model pan out? Guy wants to be a pilot - fine. Manages to set up an airline that he can fly for - even finer.

But.

This is NOT an airline, it is a ticket vendor. WHY are pilots being recruited by VE when they do not have an AOC and therefore cannot employ them as pilots? It is for the lifting carrier - the AOC holder - to recruit and employ crew, NOT the agent.

Clarity. If you want to be a ticket seller, fine - sell tickets and get an ACMI operator to provide the lift on their licence and AOC. CAA happy.

Or. Get yourself an AOC, and a Type B op licence, and then you can fly for them, and you get to play with the aircraft and all the rest of the hoopla. Again, CAA happy.

But don't think you can fall into the grey area in the middle - being a ticket agent and working for the airline as well - Kingsway will uncoil and bite you in the bum, Mr H.....

TA

xtypeman
8th Feb 2010, 19:38
TA he is trying already to cut his acmi cost. Hello links air if i provide all the crew can we get the cost down....... Now use the £15,000 up front buy a cheap rating on credit in the poor FO name and use the rest to run your operation and hope that your sales cover the cost. I dont think so a rodent call out the pied pipper...

Xtype

xtypeman
8th Feb 2010, 19:38
TA he is trying already to cut his acmi cost. Hello links air if i provide all the crew can we get the cost down....... Now use the £15,000 up front buy a cheap rating on credit in the poor FO name and use the rest to run your operation and hope that your sales cover the cost. I dont think so a rodent call out the pied pipper...

Xtype

TwinAisle
8th Feb 2010, 19:44
Thanks, XTM. So the argument is that someone gives him 15 grand of their hard earned dosh, and he uses that to buy a rating at - say - 10 grand (can't imagine that J31 ratings are highly in demand....) and then offers the new pilot to the ACMI operator??

Non sequitor. If the ACMI operator needed crew, they would go and get their own....

... otherwise - as you say - call in Robert Browning's mate!

TA

TwinAisle
8th Feb 2010, 19:44
Thanks, XTM. So the argument is that someone gives him 15 grand of their hard earned dosh, and he uses that to buy a rating at - say - 10 grand (can't imagine that J31 ratings are highly in demand....) and then offers the new pilot to the ACMI operator??

Non sequitor. If the ACMI operator needed crew, they would go and get their own....

... otherwise - as you say - call in Robert Browning's mate!

TA

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 21:55
Capt sunshine

Thanks for your reply I never take offence to anything people say about me.
all have there own opinion I write Mine However Varsity Express is a Joke.

Never will make Money apart for Mr H

The C A A are weak in these matters Linksiar or who ever have J31 they need to use Idiot comes along and before we know we have a Sked Flt
from Oxford to Edinburgh ???

NO BODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS YET

HOW MANY PAX HAVE THEY CARRIED ??? Not a Lot

Linksair Hope u have got your Money Up front because you will need it for Mr Euro control and Mr Landing/Handling OXF/EDI

I WISH YOU ALL WELL

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 21:55
Capt sunshine

Thanks for your reply I never take offence to anything people say about me.
all have there own opinion I write Mine However Varsity Express is a Joke.

Never will make Money apart for Mr H

The C A A are weak in these matters Linksiar or who ever have J31 they need to use Idiot comes along and before we know we have a Sked Flt
from Oxford to Edinburgh ???

NO BODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS YET

HOW MANY PAX HAVE THEY CARRIED ??? Not a Lot

Linksair Hope u have got your Money Up front because you will need it for Mr Euro control and Mr Landing/Handling OXF/EDI

I WISH YOU ALL WELL

Cloud1
8th Feb 2010, 22:04
You seem to have misunderstood my post, I was only having some fun with you. I could not care less about your grammar or spelling, we (or rather I) only come on here for aviation related news, rumours etc and not to judge you on whether you can string a sentence together or spell a word correctly. :ok:

Back to the airline, I personally cannot see it being succesful but there is no point in us debating this before the airline even gets airborne. When is its first day of flying, March 01st?

Cloud1
8th Feb 2010, 22:04
You seem to have misunderstood my post, I was only having some fun with you. I could not care less about your grammar or spelling, we (or rather I) only come on here for aviation related news, rumours etc and not to judge you on whether you can string a sentence together or spell a word correctly. :ok:

Back to the airline, I personally cannot see it being succesful but there is no point in us debating this before the airline even gets airborne. When is its first day of flying, March 01st?

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 22:10
cLOUD 1

No offence taken we are only here to pass our comments

Sorry to all i thought start date was Feb 1 its in fact March 1

Sorry again

Regards

learjet50
8th Feb 2010, 22:10
cLOUD 1

No offence taken we are only here to pass our comments

Sorry to all i thought start date was Feb 1 its in fact March 1

Sorry again

Regards

Groundloop
9th Feb 2010, 08:13
If the ACMI operator needed crew, they would go and get their own....

Not necessarily. After all Ryanair have pilots not employed by RYR but by Brookfield and contracted to RYR.

Groundloop
9th Feb 2010, 08:13
If the ACMI operator needed crew, they would go and get their own....

Not necessarily. After all Ryanair have pilots not employed by RYR but by Brookfield and contracted to RYR.

Captivep
9th Feb 2010, 08:15
Surely it's more likely that the first flight will be on April 1st! :)

Joking aside, this is following much of the underlying pattern of the Alpha One debacle (with perhaps some questionable HR practices to boot) but Mr Halstead's ability to get publicity is extraordinary (please don't use that as a quote, Martin - it's not a compliment).

Captivep
9th Feb 2010, 08:15
Surely it's more likely that the first flight will be on April 1st! :)

Joking aside, this is following much of the underlying pattern of the Alpha One debacle (with perhaps some questionable HR practices to boot) but Mr Halstead's ability to get publicity is extraordinary (please don't use that as a quote, Martin - it's not a compliment).

TwinAisle
9th Feb 2010, 08:48
Sort of agree, Groundloop - but the difference is that Ryanair don't employ the crew and then give them to the wet lessor doing their flying....

If I were a cynic, a few questions spring to mind...

1. How much funding has this got?
2. How much will it need (answer - pots, this is the airline business, and they are starting a new route with no history, no airline experience, and they are taking all the ticket risk - since they are going to pay the lessor whether they have any pax or not)
3. If points 1 and 2 are not aligned, where is the money coming from?

"Yes, please sign on the dotted line, and we'll get you a TR. Thanks for the cheque. We'll send your details across in three months when you have passed to our flight provider...."

Calling Wee Weasley Welshman.... bet he will have some pithy and accurate thoughts on this....

TA

TwinAisle
9th Feb 2010, 08:48
Sort of agree, Groundloop - but the difference is that Ryanair don't employ the crew and then give them to the wet lessor doing their flying....

If I were a cynic, a few questions spring to mind...

1. How much funding has this got?
2. How much will it need (answer - pots, this is the airline business, and they are starting a new route with no history, no airline experience, and they are taking all the ticket risk - since they are going to pay the lessor whether they have any pax or not)
3. If points 1 and 2 are not aligned, where is the money coming from?

"Yes, please sign on the dotted line, and we'll get you a TR. Thanks for the cheque. We'll send your details across in three months when you have passed to our flight provider...."

Calling Wee Weasley Welshman.... bet he will have some pithy and accurate thoughts on this....

TA

Captivep
10th Feb 2010, 12:59
And the latest news (verbatim from the website) is...

"Europe’s newest regional operator, Varsity Express (www.flyvarsity.com (http://www.flyvarsity.com/)) will offer a second week-daily service to Edinburgh from London Oxford from 5 April in response to demand, one month after its scheduled debut on 1 March, the company announced today. It will also add a second destination from Oxford – to Newcastle, gateway to the north east. Flights will initially run every afternoon from Monday to Friday, with introductory fares from £49 one way, including taxes and charges.
New Timetable effective 5 April
LNQ601 Depart Oxford 0800 Arrive Edinburgh 0930
LNQ610 Depart Edinburgh 1000 Arrive Newcastle 1030
LNQ610 Depart Newcastle 1045 Arrive Oxford 1200
LNQ611 Depart Oxford 1430 Arrive Newcastle 1545
LNQ611 Depart Newcastle 1600 Arrive Edinburgh 1630
LNQ602 Depart Edinburgh 1730 Arrive Oxford 1900
All Varsity flights will be operated by BAE Jetstream 31 aircraft and the company is close to finalising the use of a second aircraft. Both will be based at London Oxford Airport, where Varsity is taking office space.
Promotion of the Oxford-Edinburgh route started last month and forward bookings have exceeded expectation. In the first two weeks, where every seat is available at £49 one way, bookings have been especially high north to south. For the Oxfordshire region Varsity has enlisted the support of Great Experience Travel. The Witney-based company is assisting with marketing and promotion of the route, in conjunction with hotel and golf packages.
“We are delighted to be announcing a second UK route today,” said Varsity Express Director Martin Halstead. “Newcastle is a popular university city and we expect a good mix of business travellers, many from the automotive industry and VFR and leisure traffic.” Newcastle is also renowned for its music and arts centres, shopping and exciting night life. As such the city is a popular short break destination in the UK.
Onboard Varsity will offer a business class style service, with all-leather seating, serving complimentary tea, coffee and water, plus a small snack. There will be a range of other onboard refreshments available to purchase on board, including soft and alcoholic drinks, all served by an inflight attendant. The aircraft is on the AOC of Humberside-based LinksAir. Flying crew will be provided by Varsity."

Captivep
10th Feb 2010, 12:59
And the latest news (verbatim from the website) is...

"Europe’s newest regional operator, Varsity Express (www.flyvarsity.com (http://www.flyvarsity.com/)) will offer a second week-daily service to Edinburgh from London Oxford from 5 April in response to demand, one month after its scheduled debut on 1 March, the company announced today. It will also add a second destination from Oxford – to Newcastle, gateway to the north east. Flights will initially run every afternoon from Monday to Friday, with introductory fares from £49 one way, including taxes and charges.
New Timetable effective 5 April
LNQ601 Depart Oxford 0800 Arrive Edinburgh 0930
LNQ610 Depart Edinburgh 1000 Arrive Newcastle 1030
LNQ610 Depart Newcastle 1045 Arrive Oxford 1200
LNQ611 Depart Oxford 1430 Arrive Newcastle 1545
LNQ611 Depart Newcastle 1600 Arrive Edinburgh 1630
LNQ602 Depart Edinburgh 1730 Arrive Oxford 1900
All Varsity flights will be operated by BAE Jetstream 31 aircraft and the company is close to finalising the use of a second aircraft. Both will be based at London Oxford Airport, where Varsity is taking office space.
Promotion of the Oxford-Edinburgh route started last month and forward bookings have exceeded expectation. In the first two weeks, where every seat is available at £49 one way, bookings have been especially high north to south. For the Oxfordshire region Varsity has enlisted the support of Great Experience Travel. The Witney-based company is assisting with marketing and promotion of the route, in conjunction with hotel and golf packages.
“We are delighted to be announcing a second UK route today,” said Varsity Express Director Martin Halstead. “Newcastle is a popular university city and we expect a good mix of business travellers, many from the automotive industry and VFR and leisure traffic.” Newcastle is also renowned for its music and arts centres, shopping and exciting night life. As such the city is a popular short break destination in the UK.
Onboard Varsity will offer a business class style service, with all-leather seating, serving complimentary tea, coffee and water, plus a small snack. There will be a range of other onboard refreshments available to purchase on board, including soft and alcoholic drinks, all served by an inflight attendant. The aircraft is on the AOC of Humberside-based LinksAir. Flying crew will be provided by Varsity."

Hansard
10th Feb 2010, 14:01
Too much information................to tell the travelling public that you're "finalising the use of a second aircraft" and "taking office space" only serves to emphasise your shaky roots.

Hansard
10th Feb 2010, 14:01
Too much information................to tell the travelling public that you're "finalising the use of a second aircraft" and "taking office space" only serves to emphasise your shaky roots.

learjet50
10th Feb 2010, 15:15
Re second route/Rotation

WOW

if your flying to Newcastle from Oxford why would you want to fly over Newcastle to return back the same way 1 Hour Later ??

If you are going Day return Newcastle to Oxford on business you arrive Oxford 1200 but have to depart at 1430 (Not a lot of time for business you might just have time for a Pie and a Pint.

If he has 2 A/C why not use them ???

Mr Halstead has not a clue he is a dreamer and regretfully is going to take a lot a peoples hard earned Money from them..

I Note his new routes start April 5 EASTER MONDAY/Start of the new Tax Year ????

We shall wait and see but when it all goes Txxt s up people cannot be told well I Never expected this when lots of people on this thread have warned everbody IT WILL NOT WORK

1/ WRONG A/C
2/ WRONG ROUTE
3/ WRONG MANAGEMENT (Well thats for sure)

Then in 2011 we will see PIE IN THE SKY AIRLINES RE LAUNCHED

Different name same Management its about time the CAA put a stop to this ridiculous situation

Whinging over

learjet50
10th Feb 2010, 15:15
Re second route/Rotation

WOW

if your flying to Newcastle from Oxford why would you want to fly over Newcastle to return back the same way 1 Hour Later ??

If you are going Day return Newcastle to Oxford on business you arrive Oxford 1200 but have to depart at 1430 (Not a lot of time for business you might just have time for a Pie and a Pint.

If he has 2 A/C why not use them ???

Mr Halstead has not a clue he is a dreamer and regretfully is going to take a lot a peoples hard earned Money from them..

I Note his new routes start April 5 EASTER MONDAY/Start of the new Tax Year ????

We shall wait and see but when it all goes Txxt s up people cannot be told well I Never expected this when lots of people on this thread have warned everbody IT WILL NOT WORK

1/ WRONG A/C
2/ WRONG ROUTE
3/ WRONG MANAGEMENT (Well thats for sure)

Then in 2011 we will see PIE IN THE SKY AIRLINES RE LAUNCHED

Different name same Management its about time the CAA put a stop to this ridiculous situation

Whinging over

NorthSouth
10th Feb 2010, 21:19
spicejetter:Nice to see NCL-EDI route returnWhy? You can do it in an hour and a half city centre to city centre by train for less than £30 return, and you don't have to queue and sit around for hours, be treated like a terrorist and be squished into a little tube so noisy you can't even talk to your neighbour. What's more you can watch the RAF's finest trying to shoot each other out of the sky from the safety of a railway carriage rather than being their target.
NS

NorthSouth
10th Feb 2010, 21:19
spicejetter:Nice to see NCL-EDI route returnWhy? You can do it in an hour and a half city centre to city centre by train for less than £30 return, and you don't have to queue and sit around for hours, be treated like a terrorist and be squished into a little tube so noisy you can't even talk to your neighbour. What's more you can watch the RAF's finest trying to shoot each other out of the sky from the safety of a railway carriage rather than being their target.
NS

clear prop!!!
10th Feb 2010, 22:02
Why? You can do it in an hour and a half city centre to city centre by train for less than £30 return, and you don't have to queue and sit around for hours, be treated like a terrorist and be squished into a little tube so noisy you can't even talk to your neighbour.

You are SO right...a train every half hour city CENTRE to centre...and ...pick your time right and advanced first class around £40 return!

Who in their right mind would go through the hassle of EDI-NCL:confused:

clear prop!!!
10th Feb 2010, 22:02
Why? You can do it in an hour and a half city centre to city centre by train for less than £30 return, and you don't have to queue and sit around for hours, be treated like a terrorist and be squished into a little tube so noisy you can't even talk to your neighbour.

You are SO right...a train every half hour city CENTRE to centre...and ...pick your time right and advanced first class around £40 return!

Who in their right mind would go through the hassle of EDI-NCL:confused:

BAladdy
10th Feb 2010, 22:14

From what I can gather from the flight numbers the early OXF-EDI will terminate in EDI and tickets on that flight to NCL are not available. NCL pax will need to travel to NCL on the 14:30 only ex OXF.

1/ WRONG A/C

Surely the 18 seater Jetstream is a good aircraft to start a route on if it is sucessfull they can easily source a larger J41 or a Saab 340??.

2/ WRONG ROUTE

Why the wrong route. Newcastle uni and Edinburgh uni have close ties with Oxford uni.

BAladdy
10th Feb 2010, 22:14

From what I can gather from the flight numbers the early OXF-EDI will terminate in EDI and tickets on that flight to NCL are not available. NCL pax will need to travel to NCL on the 14:30 only ex OXF.

1/ WRONG A/C

Surely the 18 seater Jetstream is a good aircraft to start a route on if it is sucessfull they can easily source a larger J41 or a Saab 340??.

2/ WRONG ROUTE

Why the wrong route. Newcastle uni and Edinburgh uni have close ties with Oxford uni.

Captivep
11th Feb 2010, 19:43
Hmmm - I wonder who wrote this Wikipedia entry for Varsity Express?:rolleyes:

"Varsity Express is a regional airline (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Airline) based at Oxford Airport (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Oxford_Airport) in the UK. The airline was founded in 2009, underpinned by a consortium of English and Spanish investors. The airline made its media debut in January 2010, announcing that it would launch an air service between Edinburgh and Oxford in March 2010. The airline's owners and promoters suggested that further routes would be introduced later in 2010.
On February 7th 2010 The Sunday Times revealed in an exclusive interview that Martin Halstead (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Martin_Halstead) was the founder of the company. Halstead had shot to fame in his late teens with the launch of AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=AlphaOne_Airways&action=edit&redlink=1) in 2005. In the interview Halstead revealed that AlphaOne had failed after a key investor pulled out just days into the operation and a court case had later followed during which the investor agreed an out of court settlement for an undisclosed fee.
Halstead's personality-based PR had launched AlphaOne to a global audience, many of whom were greatly disappointed by the airlines demise, something which he said had left him feeling that he had unfinished business to attend to. In a separate interview in February 2010, Halstead stated that he had put AlphaOne behind him and had become an airline pilot but was tempted back into airline management by the consortium backing Varsity Express.
On February 10th 2010 the airline announced that it was launching a second route from Oxford to Newcastle and adding a second daily Edinburgh service due to increased demand."

Or, indeed, this one...

"Martin Richard Alexander Halstead, born May 18th 1986 in Oxford, UK, is a British entrepreneur best known for launching an airline at the age of just 18, and a second at the age of 23. He is currently the Managing Director of Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Varsity_Express), where he is also an active airline pilot (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Airline_pilot).
He is nicknamed 'Baby Branson' in the British press on account of his friendship with Sir Richard Branson (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Sir_Richard_Branson), founder of Virgin Atlantic (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic).
Contents

[hide (javascript:toggleToc())]
<LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-1">1 Personal Life (http://www.pprune.org/#Personal_Life) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-2">2 AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/#AlphaOne_Airways) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-3">3 Life after AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/#Life_after_AlphaOne_Airways) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-4">4 Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/#Varsity_Express)
5 See also (http://www.pprune.org/#See_also)
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=1)] Personal Life

Halstead lives just outside of Oxford (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Oxford) in the UK (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/UK). He is engaged to the American composer and musician Kristen Walker (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Kristen_Walker&action=edit&redlink=1). They are due to marry in Summer 2010.
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=2)] AlphaOne Airways

Halstead originally shot to fame in 2005, when at the age of 18 he launched AlphaOne Airways. The airline was due to operate between Oxford and Cambridge with flights starting in April 2005. However, a lack of interest led Halstead to rethink his plans and withdraw from the route before flights began.
The airline emerged 6 months later in October 2005 announcing intentions to start flights from the Isle of Man to Edinburgh. Flights began in December that year, but lasted only two months. At the time no announcement was made regarding the closure of the company. It wasn't until 2007 that Halstead revealed the reasons for the airlines demise in an interview. It was reported that a key investor had withdrawn funds just days into the start of operations, AlphaOne had continued on, but by late January 2006 it had become apparent that the airline was no longer feasible. On February 2nd 2006 the airline ceased operations.
In the years following the demise of AlphaOne, Halstead and his fellow directors filed a litigation case against the investor who had pulled the plug. It was reported that the case was settled out of court in 2008.
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=3)] Life after AlphaOne Airways

Halstead withdrew from public life after the demise of AlphaOne Airways. He took up a job working with Virgin Atlantic (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic) in 2007 as a member of onboard cabin crew (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Cabin_crew) while he pursued his piloting career.
In December 2008 Halstead qualified as an airline pilot and the following month started work as a First Officer with a UK Jetstream operator. He is now a qualified Jetstream 31 and Airbus pilot and flies for Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Varsity_Express)"

Captivep
11th Feb 2010, 19:43
Hmmm - I wonder who wrote this Wikipedia entry for Varsity Express?:rolleyes:

"Varsity Express is a regional airline (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Airline) based at Oxford Airport (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Oxford_Airport) in the UK. The airline was founded in 2009, underpinned by a consortium of English and Spanish investors. The airline made its media debut in January 2010, announcing that it would launch an air service between Edinburgh and Oxford in March 2010. The airline's owners and promoters suggested that further routes would be introduced later in 2010.
On February 7th 2010 The Sunday Times revealed in an exclusive interview that Martin Halstead (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Martin_Halstead) was the founder of the company. Halstead had shot to fame in his late teens with the launch of AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=AlphaOne_Airways&action=edit&redlink=1) in 2005. In the interview Halstead revealed that AlphaOne had failed after a key investor pulled out just days into the operation and a court case had later followed during which the investor agreed an out of court settlement for an undisclosed fee.
Halstead's personality-based PR had launched AlphaOne to a global audience, many of whom were greatly disappointed by the airlines demise, something which he said had left him feeling that he had unfinished business to attend to. In a separate interview in February 2010, Halstead stated that he had put AlphaOne behind him and had become an airline pilot but was tempted back into airline management by the consortium backing Varsity Express.
On February 10th 2010 the airline announced that it was launching a second route from Oxford to Newcastle and adding a second daily Edinburgh service due to increased demand."

Or, indeed, this one...

"Martin Richard Alexander Halstead, born May 18th 1986 in Oxford, UK, is a British entrepreneur best known for launching an airline at the age of just 18, and a second at the age of 23. He is currently the Managing Director of Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Varsity_Express), where he is also an active airline pilot (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Airline_pilot).
He is nicknamed 'Baby Branson' in the British press on account of his friendship with Sir Richard Branson (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Sir_Richard_Branson), founder of Virgin Atlantic (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic).
Contents

[hide (javascript:toggleToc())]
<LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-1">1 Personal Life (http://www.pprune.org/#Personal_Life) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-2">2 AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/#AlphaOne_Airways) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-3">3 Life after AlphaOne Airways (http://www.pprune.org/#Life_after_AlphaOne_Airways) <LI class="toclevel-1 tocsection-4">4 Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/#Varsity_Express)
5 See also (http://www.pprune.org/#See_also)
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=1)] Personal Life

Halstead lives just outside of Oxford (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Oxford) in the UK (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/UK). He is engaged to the American composer and musician Kristen Walker (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Kristen_Walker&action=edit&redlink=1). They are due to marry in Summer 2010.
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=2)] AlphaOne Airways

Halstead originally shot to fame in 2005, when at the age of 18 he launched AlphaOne Airways. The airline was due to operate between Oxford and Cambridge with flights starting in April 2005. However, a lack of interest led Halstead to rethink his plans and withdraw from the route before flights began.
The airline emerged 6 months later in October 2005 announcing intentions to start flights from the Isle of Man to Edinburgh. Flights began in December that year, but lasted only two months. At the time no announcement was made regarding the closure of the company. It wasn't until 2007 that Halstead revealed the reasons for the airlines demise in an interview. It was reported that a key investor had withdrawn funds just days into the start of operations, AlphaOne had continued on, but by late January 2006 it had become apparent that the airline was no longer feasible. On February 2nd 2006 the airline ceased operations.
In the years following the demise of AlphaOne, Halstead and his fellow directors filed a litigation case against the investor who had pulled the plug. It was reported that the case was settled out of court in 2008.
[edit (http://www.pprune.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Halstead&action=edit&section=3)] Life after AlphaOne Airways

Halstead withdrew from public life after the demise of AlphaOne Airways. He took up a job working with Virgin Atlantic (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Virgin_Atlantic) in 2007 as a member of onboard cabin crew (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Cabin_crew) while he pursued his piloting career.
In December 2008 Halstead qualified as an airline pilot and the following month started work as a First Officer with a UK Jetstream operator. He is now a qualified Jetstream 31 and Airbus pilot and flies for Varsity Express (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/Varsity_Express)"

Flightrider
11th Feb 2010, 20:11
Hmmm. So you have a contributor on Wikipedia (Cryton4) whose sole contribution to this web-based font of all knowledge is to:

edit the London Oxford Airport page
create the Varsity Express page
update the Edinburgh Airport page
create the Martin Halstead page
edit the Newcastle Airport page on the day they announce services

and nothing else. Cryton4 has not exactly raced to update Wikipedia with any mention of other developments like Ryanair's opening its first Eastern European base at Kaunas, announcement of Flybe's services into Bournemouth today, BA's relaunch of First.....you get the picture.

I wonder if there are Wikipedia pages for "attention seeking disorder" or "self publicist" or other such terms which should be cross-linked to the above immediately by way of example. Comedian.

There are two real issues here. First is whether unsuspecting people - either prospective pilots or customers - are having their money taken off them needlessly. Second is that he makes it far more difficult for anyone else with similar, more credible, ideas for them ever to see the light of day because efforts like this muddy the waters.

There is no way that you can make sectors of this length work at £49 fares (or even £89 fares) with a Jetstream 31. Either Halstead or the ACMI provider has got their sums horribly, dreadfully wrong.

Flightrider
11th Feb 2010, 20:11
Hmmm. So you have a contributor on Wikipedia (Cryton4) whose sole contribution to this web-based font of all knowledge is to:

edit the London Oxford Airport page
create the Varsity Express page
update the Edinburgh Airport page
create the Martin Halstead page
edit the Newcastle Airport page on the day they announce services

and nothing else. Cryton4 has not exactly raced to update Wikipedia with any mention of other developments like Ryanair's opening its first Eastern European base at Kaunas, announcement of Flybe's services into Bournemouth today, BA's relaunch of First.....you get the picture.

I wonder if there are Wikipedia pages for "attention seeking disorder" or "self publicist" or other such terms which should be cross-linked to the above immediately by way of example. Comedian.

There are two real issues here. First is whether unsuspecting people - either prospective pilots or customers - are having their money taken off them needlessly. Second is that he makes it far more difficult for anyone else with similar, more credible, ideas for them ever to see the light of day because efforts like this muddy the waters.

There is no way that you can make sectors of this length work at £49 fares (or even £89 fares) with a Jetstream 31. Either Halstead or the ACMI provider has got their sums horribly, dreadfully wrong.

Oxjob
11th Feb 2010, 20:22
Having previously worked in marketing before transfering over to aviation, it strikes me as being perfectly normal for a firms PR company to do write ups such as this on the interweb.

No doubt about it, Halstead p!ssed off a lot of people with Air Alpha in the past, but if one mistake means one can never try again then I would guess there would be a hell of a lot less airline pilots around today. I only got a partial pass on my CPL all those years ago and had to go back up and do a few circuits, now I've got years of incident free flying under my belt for several major operators. I got it right second time round, and learnt from my mistakes from the first time.

I for one am reserving judgement, I wish the lad well, it takes guts and lets face it, not one of us know the details behind either Alpha or Varsity Express. I may well be proved wrong, but it's nice to see a positive in an industry thats in a frightful state because of guys two or three times this guys age. According to the article above he's 23 and he started Alpha when he was 18, that was 5 years ago, that's a life time for someone his age. A lot may have changed, then again, maybe it hasn't, but time will tell.

I am just delighted to see my local airport doing well, I don't care who really backs it, all I know is that I wouldn't have the guts to try. It doesn't seem right to be flinging mud at a young lad who is trying to achieve something when so many others are out smoking drugs and getting loose girls pregnant or 'happy slapping'.

Oxjob
11th Feb 2010, 20:22
Having previously worked in marketing before transfering over to aviation, it strikes me as being perfectly normal for a firms PR company to do write ups such as this on the interweb.

No doubt about it, Halstead p!ssed off a lot of people with Air Alpha in the past, but if one mistake means one can never try again then I would guess there would be a hell of a lot less airline pilots around today. I only got a partial pass on my CPL all those years ago and had to go back up and do a few circuits, now I've got years of incident free flying under my belt for several major operators. I got it right second time round, and learnt from my mistakes from the first time.

I for one am reserving judgement, I wish the lad well, it takes guts and lets face it, not one of us know the details behind either Alpha or Varsity Express. I may well be proved wrong, but it's nice to see a positive in an industry thats in a frightful state because of guys two or three times this guys age. According to the article above he's 23 and he started Alpha when he was 18, that was 5 years ago, that's a life time for someone his age. A lot may have changed, then again, maybe it hasn't, but time will tell.

I am just delighted to see my local airport doing well, I don't care who really backs it, all I know is that I wouldn't have the guts to try. It doesn't seem right to be flinging mud at a young lad who is trying to achieve something when so many others are out smoking drugs and getting loose girls pregnant or 'happy slapping'.

Pilot Positive
11th Feb 2010, 20:25
"It was reported that a key investor had withdrawn funds just days into the start of operations.."

Why did the investor pull out of AlphaOne at such short notice?

Pilot Positive
11th Feb 2010, 20:25
"It was reported that a key investor had withdrawn funds just days into the start of operations.."

Why did the investor pull out of AlphaOne at such short notice?

learjet50
11th Feb 2010, 22:47
Pilot Positive

MARTIN HALSTEAD IS THE REASON

Flightrider
11th Feb 2010, 23:08
Oxjob,

Allow me to challenge your humour for a few minutes.

Your postings so far on PPrune from registering in late December until today have been about Oxford, Varsity Express and the pay-to-fly schemes. I quote from your comments on the Oxford Aviation Employment thread (http://http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/401067-oxford-aviation-employment-statistics.html) over in the training forum:

I got made redundant earlier this year thanks to some little wannabe skygods paying to do my job! Now my old airline won't even take on experienced First Officers. Dig a hole for yourselves wannabes, or make a stand and save this profession, not just for us, but for yourselves too!

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Do you know Halstead? It said in the Wikipedia profile of him (before it got edited to shreds this evening; busy night over there) that he is also an A319 pilot, same as you. Guess you might have been at easyJet about the same time then. ;)

Funny also how I commented earlier that the mysterious Cryton4 editing the Wikipedia page had not made any contributions on topics other than to do with Varsity / Halstead / Oxford Airport etc. Within 20 minutes of my comment, your equally limited scope of PPrune postings suddenly branches out into hitherto unknown fields, well beyond the previous discussions. You're perfectly entitled to do so, but I'm equally entitled not to believe in coincidences. Particularly as one of the topics was about Flybe's launch of MAN-BOH services.

Does anyone else have that feeling of deja moo (i.e. I've heard this bull before?).

Flightrider
11th Feb 2010, 23:08
Oxjob,

Allow me to challenge your humour for a few minutes.

Your postings so far on PPrune from registering in late December until today have been about Oxford, Varsity Express and the pay-to-fly schemes. I quote from your comments on the Oxford Aviation Employment thread (http://http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/401067-oxford-aviation-employment-statistics.html) over in the training forum:

I got made redundant earlier this year thanks to some little wannabe skygods paying to do my job! Now my old airline won't even take on experienced First Officers. Dig a hole for yourselves wannabes, or make a stand and save this profession, not just for us, but for yourselves too!

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Do you know Halstead? It said in the Wikipedia profile of him (before it got edited to shreds this evening; busy night over there) that he is also an A319 pilot, same as you. Guess you might have been at easyJet about the same time then. ;)

Funny also how I commented earlier that the mysterious Cryton4 editing the Wikipedia page had not made any contributions on topics other than to do with Varsity / Halstead / Oxford Airport etc. Within 20 minutes of my comment, your equally limited scope of PPrune postings suddenly branches out into hitherto unknown fields, well beyond the previous discussions. You're perfectly entitled to do so, but I'm equally entitled not to believe in coincidences. Particularly as one of the topics was about Flybe's launch of MAN-BOH services.

Does anyone else have that feeling of deja moo (i.e. I've heard this bull before?).

Oxjob
12th Feb 2010, 00:20
My my my, what an incredible imagination you have Mr Rider! You should write Morse novels, quite the conspiracy theorist indeed.

In answer to your question, no, I have never met Mr Halstead. I've never worked for easyJet. The only similarity I can fathom from your post is that we are both Airbus rated pilots, incidentally I'm A320/330 rated, one of thousands (and unfortunately also one of thousands currently out of work).

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I just don't agree with this agenda of putting a young man down because of a failed company from five years ago.

Incidentally, if what is written on this thread is true then Mr Halstead is encouraging pay-to-fly and self funded type ratings. Something which I am inherently against.

It's a nice theory though, very creative.

Right, I'm off for a large scotch and then bed. I'll leave you to it.

Oxjob
12th Feb 2010, 00:20
My my my, what an incredible imagination you have Mr Rider! You should write Morse novels, quite the conspiracy theorist indeed.

In answer to your question, no, I have never met Mr Halstead. I've never worked for easyJet. The only similarity I can fathom from your post is that we are both Airbus rated pilots, incidentally I'm A320/330 rated, one of thousands (and unfortunately also one of thousands currently out of work).

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I just don't agree with this agenda of putting a young man down because of a failed company from five years ago.

Incidentally, if what is written on this thread is true then Mr Halstead is encouraging pay-to-fly and self funded type ratings. Something which I am inherently against.

It's a nice theory though, very creative.

Right, I'm off for a large scotch and then bed. I'll leave you to it.

Captivep
16th Feb 2010, 15:16
Given that the last thread on this subject was pulled (understandably given some of the comments) can people be careful before they respond...

But, to my surprise, I must admit, a repainted Jetstream has arrived at Oxford.

Varsity Express | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Varsity-Express/233274292727)

Captivep
16th Feb 2010, 15:16
Given that the last thread on this subject was pulled (understandably given some of the comments) can people be careful before they respond...

But, to my surprise, I must admit, a repainted Jetstream has arrived at Oxford.

Varsity Express | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Varsity-Express/233274292727)

Cirrus_Clouds
14th Mar 2010, 10:34
The guy who tried to setup airlines in the past, himself known as Baby Branson, had another airline fail once it got up and running, after being operational in total for one week, plus pilots out of pocket by £50,000 for training that never took place.

I don't think people will want to associate themselves with him in this industry any longer, full of lies that eventually backfire on him.

Read all the info here: Varsity Express: Baby Branson&rsquo;s bogus business - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article7061160.ece)

Permafrost_ATPL
14th Mar 2010, 10:53
Not that little s**t again! Unbelievable...

Can't believe this time he actually stole money from four newbies - 15k each!

“I got some from my grandmother’s savings, some from my aunt and uncle’s savings, and my mum and dad took out a loan as well. I am devastated.”

As sorry as I feel for them... What were you thinking?????

Cirrus_Clouds
14th Mar 2010, 11:04
Desperation, lack of research into this guy/the company, full of hope, etc, where I wouldn't have touched him a mile off!!!! seeing what's happened to his business ventures in the past.

This guy has a similar pattern of failures, pitty he doesn't learn from past mistakes and drags others down with him. :ugh: But he is damn persistant!, but just *hit at it. :)

madlandrover
14th Mar 2010, 11:04
Ouch. What a disaster - both for the people who "bought" type ratings for £15000 (who were told they'd be doing the TRs at OAA's Stockholm base, when in fact arrangements were being made with a provider in Crete, at a cost of under £9000 to VE!), and for all the other people who put a huge amount of effort into making the first week run well. Fair play to someone for trying something new during the current doom and gloom, but a massive letdown that it had to be based on lies.

No RYR for me
14th Mar 2010, 11:12
I dont understand why the threads about Varsity Express that warned about this venture were pulled all the time... Can one of the moderators enlighten us? I feel that Pprune is THE forum to warn people against these operations that have IMPOSSIBLE written all over them :rolleyes:

First.officer
14th Mar 2010, 12:14
....personally, i think if i were one of the four who parted with £15k, a little midnight visit by some large men to chat in this guys shell-like might be in order !!!!

:E

D O Guerrero
14th Mar 2010, 12:21
FO - Couldn't agree more. I know someone who was almost sucked into this scam but sensibly withdrew.
I hope this guy is prosecuted - taking advantage of desperate kids is not on, especially when you have absolutely no intention of actually doing as you say you will.

Piltdown Man
14th Mar 2010, 12:46
There appears to be precious little official comment within the Times online article. I would have liked to have seen the words "We are unable to comment as this forms part of a criminal investigation". Unfortunately, this new tycoon has now found a new source of cash - SSTR's. It doesn't take much imagination to see this entrepreneur offering wannabes 500 hours plus Airbus/747/etc. plus a job at say, £29-30K. (You can't charge too little. You have to make it sound sound credible). Get 20 or 30 suckers and that should buy him some nice bubbly.

This man should really have a fear of showers and soap, but I don't even foresee a non-custodial sentence or a small smack on the wrist. I wouldn't be surprised if he blames it on someone else and escapes scot free.

PM

GobonaStick
14th Mar 2010, 13:10

Bang on, sir, just a shame no-one paid attention at the time.

nonemmet
14th Mar 2010, 13:18
taking advantage of desperate kids is not on, especially when you have absolutely no intention of actually doing as you say you will.

I'm sure he will claim to have intended to keep his promise - just like some much much bigger and much much better known uk airlines have done. :=

davidjohnson6
14th Mar 2010, 13:58
If the article in the Times is correct, it is possible Mr Halstead may have some legal issues to deal with in the not too distant future.

itwasme
14th Mar 2010, 14:25
Re-heat

perhaps you should read the article before posting.

Lost_ethics
14th Mar 2010, 14:55
There was a 4-part series of Channel 4 documentaries, one included Mr. Halstead, (aired Sept. 2005) called 'Live Now, Pay Later (http://www.channel4learning.com/support/programmenotes/micro/moneyandbusiness/live.html)'. Unfortunately I've not been able to find a video of the documentary. From memory, it was certainly very eye-opening as to the then attitude of the individual.

Using the figures and information from the article and presuming he had no other investment what so ever. He took in over £50,000 from those 4 pilots (but at £15,000 per person that makes £60,000, surely?) and £8,200 in ticket receipts, all of which presumably went into his personal bank account as he had “not set up a company bank account”. He paid only £30,000 to LinksAir and the remainder (between £28,200 – £38,200) disappeared in “operating costs”, in one week, or since the debut on 20th January 2010 (47 days). It also seems that Mr. Halstead is trying to apportion the blame with Mr. Lawrence who was on paper only a shareholder and not a director. This is of course if we believe the article to be correct.

Be very interesting to see what the authorities do, but as PM says I wouldn’t be surprised if he escapes scot free.

Re-Heat
14th Mar 2010, 14:56
I had read the flyertalk thread; the article for the Times puts him a wholly different light...

No RYR for me
14th Mar 2010, 14:57
Re Heat, dont know what you have been smoking... If I understand you correctly it is ok in the US to:

-Claim to be a non excistent director
-Lie about money being available (for 2 years operation...)
-Lie to who ever rents you an airplane about payments
-STEAL money from wannabee pilots..

If this is your idea of pulling a country out of recession....:confused:

Two's in
14th Mar 2010, 15:16
I dont understand why the threads about Varsity Express that warned about this venture were pulled all the time... Can one of the moderators enlighten us? I feel that PPRuNe is THE forum to warn people against these operations that have IMPOSSIBLE written all over them

There were posts warning about paying £15k to VE. Can't help but think if the posts weren't pulled those 4 wouldn't have been sucked in by the "scheme".

If you intend to go through life being guided by the collective wisdom of an internet rumour site, you may well need to get more than £15k lined up. Use of the same internet to run a couple of basic searches on this enterprise would have indicated its precarious nature. Too good to be true is often just that.

I'm just off to Jetblast to see if I should invest my life savings in Icelandic Banks...

Captivep
14th Mar 2010, 15:18
Quite often on this site we see criticism of journalists (often totally justified, I must admit!) but on this occasion surely we should say well done to the Sunday Times whose journalist has managed to prise the facts out of Mr Halstead, confirming the suspicions many of us had.

It's a fair question too, as to why so many previous thread were pulled (although I do recall seeing some comments which were potentially actionable as they could not be substantiated).

This quote (from another site) should have been enough to give anybody pause :

"What were the circumstances which lead to the creation of Varsity Express?

I had just been made redundant [I], when I received a call from a group of property owners who were looking to invest in an airline. They asked me if I was willing to help them."

Now confirmed by Mr Halstead as a total lie, who on earth would have believed it in the first place?

Wouldn't you have loved to have read the business plan? :) As I recall, the Thames Valley Police HQ is just down the road from the airport...

sitigeltfel
14th Mar 2010, 15:27
Baby Branson? Apprentice Del Boy more like!

Are new pilots so desperate to get a job that they would take a risk such as this without getting cast iron guarantees?

Re-Heat
14th Mar 2010, 15:50
No RYR - I had read a different new article elsewhere and not the Times article. Forget what I posted earlier...!

The chap is a chancer and a lunatic it would appear. He forgot or never heard the Warren Buffet rule number 1 of management:

Ask themselves whether they are willing to have any contemplated act appear on the front page of their local paper the next day, to be read by their spouses, children and friends.
Ignorance is no defence in the act of impersonation. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Richard Taylor
14th Mar 2010, 16:31
Given the article I read today, some would suggest perhaps that Gillig - I mean Halstead - should be given a one-way ticket himself...:=

Capot
14th Mar 2010, 18:01
I assume that the CAA who, either in economic regulator mode or in safety regulator mode, or both, have the responsibility for preventing this kind of thing, adopted their usual posture that it's nothing to do with them?

They have presumably found some miniscule technicality that lets them off the hook of regulatory failure, once again?

The CAA is required by the law under which they operate to ensure that people setting up quasi/pseudo-airlines with no finance or knowledge do not hire AOC holders to fly for them, while hauling in money from advance sales with no prospect of the services being delivered before bankruptcy intervenes.

Even if the operation is well-funded and kosher (few are) the hirer - the pseudo-airline - is required to show the level of knowledge, expertise and resources needed to exercise effective safety oversight of the AOC holder, ie to audit every technical aspect of the operation very thoroughly indeed and keep on doing so..

That the CAA did nothing effective, it appears, is no surprise. They are focussed solely on collecting extortionate fees for issuing approvals/licences/whatevers on behalf of EASA, and then delaying things as long as possible while incompetent Inspectors/Surveyors/Whatevers display their amost total ignorance of the rules they seek to impose. I have the impression that many end up there because they are unemployable in the industry.

The rule of thumb used to be that anyone starting an airline, or a quasi-airline, pseudo-airline, call it what you will, had to show the CAA real, in-the-bank, unencumbered working capital of 6 months worth of running costs, fixed, semi-fixed and variable, for the planned operation, regardless of sales income. That was a pretty accurate forecast of the minimum negative cash flow of a new start-up, regardless of the entrepreneur's fantasies about income expressed in the technicolour wonderland of MBA-style spreadsheets.

Proper working capital is a safety issue just as much as an economic one.

As many have pointed out above, this delusional lunatic has form. He did the same in Jersey a few years back. Baby Branson needs to do time on a ramp cleaning aircraft and perhaps learning a thing or two.

Were the CAA out, having a group hug in the subsidised restaurant on the day they let this one through, again? Or perhaps they felt the need for some team-building? No, silly me, it was tea-time and they had all gone home.

nclrulesx2
14th Mar 2010, 18:20
Varsity Express: Baby Branson&rsquo;s bogus business - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article7061160.ece)

How on earth did the airport management allow this to happen. It does not reflect well especially for any customers who've lost their money on tickets

PPRuNe Pop
14th Mar 2010, 18:51
You will probably notice that this thread has grown somewhat quickly. You are right. We have decided to re-instate those threads and posts that were initially deleted for reasons that concerned us. This particular situation is not good news for aviation, and startup operations in particular. Somehow these get started without all the nous and vitals needed.

We are, therefore, allowing open house, subject to normal PPRuNe rules regarding taste, abuse, snide and personal attacks, so that our knowledgeable posters can comment sensibly and honestly on a story that should never have happened. Some irrelevant posts will, however, be removed.

850CIT
14th Mar 2010, 19:00
Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd share that I actually went for an interview for an FO job at VE back in January. As a very good friend of mine who also attended said..."It looked like sh*t, It certainly smelt like sh*t, so there was no need to taste it to find out it was sh*t!"

I think I know of 1 of the guys who was sucker punched by this Imbecile and you cant help but feel sorry for him and the other 3.

Both Halstead and Lawrence avoided eye contact when asked anything I wanted to know about Varsity. They were very edgy and wouldnt digress any information about the "investors" or company plans to get another larger 70 seat a/c. I knew I couldnt trust them within 2 mins so instantly alarm bells were ringing.

People like Halstead and Lawrence make me sick. Im ashamed to have even sat in the same room.

CIT

10 DME ARC
14th Mar 2010, 19:17
"How on earth did the airport management allow this to happen''

What has this to do with the airport management?? It's a public airport !! An airport cannot do in depth checks on any one who want to operate into it. Edinburgh and Oxford got taken by this lot!

learjet50
14th Mar 2010, 19:57
Well Well

How unexpected

I Notice Mr OXJOB is very Quiet at the moment after his songs of Praise for the New Airline and its Wonderful founder.

I Would like to know if OXJOB is another ficticious name for Mr MH

Makes you wonder.

I Only hope The Police take this up as this is a total con and has taken Money from people who have paid out there Life Savings to Mr MH.

I am glad to see all the removed threads re-instated so pepole can see how everbody was warned but no one in authority appeared to Listen.

robertphilpott1
14th Mar 2010, 20:21
This article sums it up.

Varsity Express: Baby Branson&rsquo;s bogus business - Times Online (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article7061160.ece)

taxi_driver
14th Mar 2010, 20:23
Mr Halstead obtained significant press coverage in the run up to his latest business venture. Certain journo's have been made to look a bit silly. I suspect a few pencil's are now been sharpened to settle the score.

Anyone handing over £15k to this chap, without doing their own due diligence, is equally foolish. His reputation preceeds him in turboprop land, and the demise of this excuse of a business was widely anticipated both on pprune and in crew rooms across the land.

GobonaStick
14th Mar 2010, 20:30
Certain journo's have been made to look a bit silly.

No. Certain journos were lied to. Let's call it what it is.

Checkboard
14th Mar 2010, 21:04
Journos are lied to all the time. Only the silly ones help lend authority to the lies by printing them, instead of checking them.

Monom
14th Mar 2010, 22:24
Thank you Capot for the first really cogent and apposite posting. Watch this space!
Monom

ventus45
14th Mar 2010, 23:08
Checkboard, once upon a time, there were no journalists.
Back then there were only reporters, and really good reporters became correspondents.

Back then, at the bottom of the trade, you had the cadet reporter, who trained, worked under, and was mentored by senior reporters. They learned the trade, the art if you will, on-the-job, from the senior paractitioners.

When they got some experience, and if they had demonstrated some smarts, they became reporters and were sent out on their own.

After many years, and if they produced some good stuff, they may have become senior reporters themselves, and if they had shown any significant flair or aptitude for any particular field, they may have become a specialist "subject area reporter", eg "Aviation Correspondent" or similar.

At about the same time, if they were really good, they would have been noticed by the editor or chief editor, and may have been elevated to the level of "investigative reporter" and detailed to delve into some subject(s) of grave concern to the masses - or whatever.

During most of this time (long gone) they would have taken the time to "check their facts" and most stories of any real significance were reasonably complete and well balanced when published The most important thing is, they took the time to prepare a story.

The media took some professional pride in the quality of it's product, and at least did try to get it right. On occasion, they also willingly printed appologies and retractions when they got it wrong.

Today, very little of that happens, none really meaningful anyway.

Today, time has been removed from the equation.
Today, everything is "now".

This has had a number of bad effects.

There is very little time to "gather the real facts", let alone "check those facts" . What is a fact anyway ? How do I tell the difference between fact and bull ? Deadline approaching - have to produce something - so go with what I've got.

Thus, a "story" is printed.
Is it a report ? - No, it is a "one off" story.
Source ? Rarely stated, often unattributed, credibility - questionable.

Subsequent events occur, days, perhaps weeks later, or other information comes to hand, that is/are related to the first story.

What happens ? Is the first report "updated and expanded" or is it treated just as a "new stand alone" ? In most cases, the latter.

In any case, I am sure you get the drift.

The trouble is, today, everyone is a "journalist", just pumping out whatever they can in this "now" world, mostly superficial, with very little analysis or depth to it.

To be blunt, no one "reports any more" they all "journalise".
How often do journalists re-hash each other's material ?
Even worse than that, how may times these days do you see journalists interviewing each other ?

The net result is, most of what you see and read today in the media is, lets be kind, just garbage.

That is why boards like this exist, so that people who are interested in some particular area of activity, can get "inside information" from "behind the scenes", something that "repoters" used to at least try and do, but journalists now rarely even make the pretence of trying to do.

This whole thread, this whole sorry story, Mark-2, proves that the media does not do it's job any more.

This story proves that the media will print garbage, and although obviously not intending to do so, does effectively assist, both bofore and during the fact, these scammers, by lending credibility to them. They themselves have become so desperate for copy that they themselves are easily succered by the self publicists etc et al.

Therefore, MR MODERATOR(S), be mindull of all this, and do not delete "warning" posts, unless there is a really significant and valid reason to do so.

Pilot Positive
15th Mar 2010, 00:02
Its heart warming to see that the Moderators of PPRuNe have had the integrity to re-instate this thread...if it had continued to be banned (along with the 3 other VE threads) then they could well of been accussed of supporting what now appears to be a pathetic crook. := Well done mods for application of common sense and some sorely sought after integrity: you shall rule :ok:

The lesson from VE is that the market has now got to the stage where it is absolutley accepted that guys who spend £80+ for basic training are now expected to pay for their career without the guarantee of any return - even to the point where a jumped up con artist living in a fantasy world can easily exploit these guys without an afterthought.

And yes I heard all the stories about the interviews before this story broke and my advice was to steer very well clear of these guys as they were neither very good or even serious. Add MH's track record into the mix and you have a very obvious sting which when you are blinded by desparation for a pilot job after spending £80k is not actually that easy to see. Both MH and David Lawrence were almost laughing at the poor interviewees for their naivity - they couldn't believe their luck, like candy off a 5 year old. Scum.

C'mon guys what happened? At this moment in time our industry is severly lacking integrity. The market for taking money off wannabees for type ratings and a few hundred hours is so rife that even the training schools now make it a mainstream offer for their student pilots....and VE is a resultant of that culture. And whilst it would be naive of me to say that such a lucrative revenue stream should be ignored by these operators/schools someone along the line has to make a stand. ;)

I hope that the VE experience will reverberate around the chat forums, training schools, airports, newspapers and courtrooms so violently that students/low hour guys stop to question some of the less genuine offers and actually slow the momentum of this route further developing as the industry norm forever more.

Highly unlikely that is, but if that is the long term result then MH may have just done the industry a favour....possibly the last chance he's ever going to get to bring anything positibe to our industry, albeit unintentionally.

If you are one of those guys who were unfortunate enough to buy into what appeared to be, on the surface, a credible operator and want some advice or pointers/contacts then PM me and I will do what I can (possibly not very much but if I can help I will :)). To the others who were touched by the dark side - may the force be with you young Jedis. :ok:

PP

newcomer
15th Mar 2010, 01:50
It shows you that some times (not always) that the things you read on here can be true. If this thread was never deleted in the first place maybe it would have made some of the pilots that paid 15k directly into his own account would have thought twice. I got shafted when I went to Unique Air and maybe if that thread wasnt deleted I would have wasted my time and money to be shafted as well. NOT HAPPY.

davidjohnson6
15th Mar 2010, 02:23
newcomer - I'm not familiar with what happened with you and Unique Air - what I write should not be construed as having any bearing on your situation. However, there are things like libel laws and associated intimidating lawyers (my girlfriend terrifies me when she's in 'work' mode !) When something is no more than conjecture or rumour with perhaps nothing more than an anonymous email account as backing, it's a brave site admin who doesn't pull the occasional post.

Potential
15th Mar 2010, 02:42
Like 850CIT, I also attended an interview with Halstead and Lawrence in the rented meeting room in the Gherkin. I had actually applied for the cabin crew role, since they were not advertising for FOs, and the first question that Halstead asked me was why I didn't apply to be a pilot. He told me that they were recruiting for FOs and asked if I was interested.

When he told me the deal - 24k salary, 15k TR and 2 year bond, I decided there and then that it was too risky to spend 15k on a J31 TR for an unproven company especially with Halstead's history. When I asked why the TR was so expensive, the answer given was that the extra cost was to cover SEP training! How much money can you spend teaching someone how to get out of an aircraft? Interestingly the cabin crew were not to get any SEP training since the role was to be purely service, with no safety responsibility.

Anyway, I said that I would prefer to continue the interview for cabin crew, but I would like to consider taking on a flight deck role at a later date. I was in the room with them for about an hour, but I did most of the questioning. I asked Halstead some fairly probing questions about his 'Baby Branson' years and what he has been doing since. At the time, I felt that he was being quite open, but I would now certainly question how honest he actually was. It now seems that Halstead is a professional liar and his acting skills are very convincing.

Lawrence was very obviously being more guarded throughout the interview and got very uneasy when I quizzed him about the investors. He revealed very little and seemed to have trouble making eye contact with me. Halstead interrupted and said something along the lines of "the investors want to remain anonymous, but if we told you who they were, you would have heard of them." Lawrence then gave Halstead a look which was quite clearly a shut your face look and that marked the end of our discussions about the investors.

I had heard from a good source that Newcastle was likely to be their next route after a second Edinburgh flight was started, so I decided to ask about Newcastle to test their reaction. They both were very good at not revealing any surprise that I knew this, but they would not confirm or deny that my research was correct.

During the interview I also admitted that I had started and had made further contributions to the PPRuNe thread on Varsity Express. Though I didn't say this to them at the time, I was quite proud of the fact that I believe I was the first to publicly reveal that Halstead was behind VE. He seemed to appreciate my honesty and was impressed by my research, but Lawrence looked highly irritated. Maybe that was just Halstead's good acting again. I promised that I would not be posting anything further on PPRuNe, but in light of recent revelations, I have decided to break my silence.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later I got an email from 'Gilligan' (I now understand why I had so much trouble finding out his history!). It said that though they felt I interviewed "exceptionally well" for the cabin crew role, they felt that I would be better suited to a flight deck role. He wanted me to keep in touch and consider returning to interview for a flight deck position in the "near future". He was obviously desperate to get my money into his personal bank account!

Needless to say, I wasn't rushing to get back for that interview, though I was in Oxford from last weekend and I nearly booked a flight with Varsity Express on Monday morning. I'm glad I didn't because a few hours later they went bust and the following day I got a job offer from a reputable and well established operator.

Re-Heat
15th Mar 2010, 03:17
I have the following from the public database at Companies House, which shows what he was up to since the Alpha One venture (address redacted for obvious reasons. Clearly he took the Baby Branson to heart and started up a music shop, which also went nowhere. How sad.

Law on obtaining financial advantage by deception:
Deception offences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_offences#Obtaining_a_pecuniary_advantage)

Name: MR MARTIN RICHARD ALEXANDER HALSTEAD
Nationality: BRITISH
Date of Birth: 18/05/1986
Address:xxxx

Current Appointments
07114817 VARSITY AIR SERVICES LTD Director 02/01/2010

Registered Office: OXFORD AIRPORT LANGFORD LANE, OXFORD, OXFORDSHIRE OX5 1RA

Appointments at time of Dissolution
05399837 ALPHA1 AIR SERVICES LIMITED Director 20/03/2005 05/12/2006
05798059 DELICIOUS MUSIC REPUBLIC LIMITED Director 27/04/2006 11/08/2009

Hansard
15th Mar 2010, 07:34
He may also have had some involvement in a Scottish Internet Television venture.

GobonaStick
15th Mar 2010, 09:19
The purpose of boards like this appears to be to rehash what's already printed in the media - inside information? I think not. Especially with threads getting deleted. It's only thanks to the Sunday Times that we're having this Monday-morning quarterback discussion. :rolleyes:

Checkboard
15th Mar 2010, 09:47
A quick check shows that every thread started by GobonaStick does indeed begin that way. Perhaps you're right! :rolleyes:

maxred
15th Mar 2010, 10:54
In line with a few other posters, the fact that some individuals were duped into paying 'up-front' fees for TR, is unfortunately down to them. Others smelt it for what it was - a hair brained fantasy, and walked away. Well done to them. This whole arena in aviation is, like our great banking institutions, a disaster waiting to happen. Passengers rushing like lemmings to pay fares 6 months up front, fares that barely cover op costs, to on line credit card companies, who profit, propping up severly flawed and financially damaged airline companies. Poor sods, who 'only want to fly' paying their companies for the privelege to work for them. The 'authorities':\ sitting back, washing their hands of any responsibilty, and picking up what pieces (sometimes), are left, once the s*** has hit the fan. All through the threads in these forums are the concerns - safety, SOPS, bust outfits, crews left without jobs, passengers left in hell holes with kids etc etc. I do not agree with the BA strike situation, but maybe, just maybe, they are the last stand:eek::eek:

Captivep
15th Mar 2010, 11:11
Just discovered that Mr Halstead had a county court judgement against him from 2006 (for £1,513) which was cleared on 4 February 2010 - now, I wonder where he might have got the money to do that?

TwinAisle
15th Mar 2010, 11:32
Oh boy.

Wonder what MH's next venture will be - I'm sure quite a few of us older and wiser heads who posted on this thread would like "I Told You So" t-shirts!! :ugh:

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand the CAA position in all of this. He clearly, under his plans, didn't need an AOC (he wasn't intending to fly anything) but as a ticketing agent, where was his ATOL? My experience of the CAA has been nothing but positive in regards to their commercial regulatory role, and I am trying to work out how he thought he could get away with this - or how he actually could get away with it?

That Times article is pretty damning. Of perhaps more concern to us as an industry, is the effect this whole shambles may have on other, more sensible, start-ups. The industry NEEDS start-ups - and if MH has made it harder for anyone more sensible to start, then shame on him.

TA

No RYR for me
15th Mar 2010, 13:12
We have decided to re-instate those threads and posts that were initially deleted for reasons that concerned us.

Thanks Pprune Pop :D

Captivep
15th Mar 2010, 13:20
I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone that the two companies mentioned in post 105 never filed any accounts at all with Companies House.

TwoOneFour
15th Mar 2010, 13:56
Oxford Airport denies any recent contact with the owner of Alpha1 Airways, Martin Halstead, and said not to trust the teenage entrepreneur.

Last week Malcolm Gault agreed that the scheme was a “brilliant idea”, but criticised the airline’s chief, calling him ‘Walter Mitty mark II’.

That was from the Cambridge student newspaper Varsity (http://archive.varsity.co.uk/623.pdf) five years ago.

Checkboard
15th Mar 2010, 13:57
but as a ticketing agent, where was his ATOL?

He probably didn't require one.

Who needs an ATOL?

An Air Travel Organiser's Licence (ATOL) is required by law when a firm sells:

* flight-based packages;
* charter flights;
* scheduled flights where an airline ticket is not issued straight away:

Travel agents selling flight-based packages and flights as an agent for ATOL holders do not require their own ATOL, providing that these sales are documented correctly.

Apply for an ATOL | ATOL Trade Information | ATOL (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=582&pagetype=90)

If Varsity Airlines issued flight tickets on the scheduled flights operated by Linksair immediately on application (which as the only ticket seller, it would be able to), then it was in effect operating as a direct agent for the airline - and tickets bought from an airline are not required to be covered by an ATOL.

TwinAisle
15th Mar 2010, 14:29
Agreed Checkboard - but then, if this was effectively a charter of a LinksAir aircraft by Varsity - who issued the tickets?

That's what is making me wonder... if LinksAir issued the tickets, great. If not - uh oh.... and since the ticket revenue seemed to be piling up in Varsity's accounts, then no ticket was issued by LinksAir!

TA

kirkbymoorside
15th Mar 2010, 14:45
TA

There is a standard exemption from the need for an ATOL as follows:

"Section 5 Class Exemptions from the ATOL
Regulations
EXEMPTION 1
1 The Civil Aviation Authority, in exercise of its powers under Regulation 5 of the Civil
Aviation (Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing) Regulations 1995, hereby exempts from the
need to hold an Air Travel Organiser’s Licence (subject to paragraph 3 below) any
person who makes available flight accommodation:
(a)in aircraft with 19 or fewer seats available for occupation by passengers; "

At least there is at the moment - I would imagine that VE will have raised the profile of this at the CAA given that there is a consultation running on updating ATOL regulations.

TwinAisle
15th Mar 2010, 14:49
Ah, thanks kirkbymoorside!

You live and learn. I spend my life worrying about Type A licences....

Definitely a loophole for our friends in Kingsway....

TA

Captivep
15th Mar 2010, 16:56
Just found this report from the Oxford Times two days before the Sunday Times published their story. Mr Halstead is either completely delusional or willing to continue to mislead in the hope that something might turn up!

But then, hoping something good might turn up appears to have been the entire business case for the airline. If anybody could ever get hold of any business plan that was written, I would be fascinated to read it...

"Mr Halstead said: “It has been a pretty awful week.
“Varsity Express is now looking to work with other operators, but there is a limit to what I can say for legal reasons.
“There was a breakdown in the relationship (with Links Air) and we have suffered a great loss by the breakdown of that relationship.
“We are offering refunds to passengers as and when requested. I want to try to move onwards and upwards.”

egnxema
15th Mar 2010, 18:13
Incredible!!!

I feel very sorry fpr the 4 pilots taken for a ride - especially the one mentioned in the Times article.

While a few airlines are taking good care of their cadets in prep for an upturn in the economy - it must be gut wrenching for these folks!!!

Words fail me:sad::sad:

mary_hinge
15th Mar 2010, 18:29
From ATI News:

Police investigate alleged fraud at failed Varsity Express
Alan Dron, London (15Mar10, 18:27 GMT, 336 words)

Police are looking into the circumstances surrounding short-lived UK regional operator Varsity Express, whose services on the Oxford-Edinburgh route ceased after just a week.
Thames Valley Police, which covers the Oxford area, says that complaints have been received about the carrier and that the force's economic crimes unit is looking into allegations of fraud. Varsity Express started services at the beginning of the month but ceased on 8 March.

learjet50
15th Mar 2010, 18:42
FLYBE 37

Bet he does not have many friends left now especially in the Aviation World.

Nice to see th Police are on to Him

Pilot Positive
15th Mar 2010, 19:50
Damn Flybe37 you had a few of us fooled then...it might have just been the kind of evidence that shows MH is completely delusional. :}

One thing is for sure, the police are not going to be deluded or so easily fooled by his antics... :ok:

Re-Heat
15th Mar 2010, 20:13
Famous on Wikipedia:

Martin Halstead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Halstead)

mad_jock
15th Mar 2010, 20:51
For Links Air though that is one very nice clean Jetstream

The engine rigging looks pretty good as well.

Pilot Positive
15th Mar 2010, 22:10
Have you noticed the common theme throughout this guy's life?

A levels - not completed
OAA Course - not completed
Alpha 1 - failed
Blue Islands - fired
VE - bogus.

beggars belief why anyone would want to believe that investors had approached him with regards to making a return on their money. He doesnt even have any commercial experience! :ugh:

Flying Spaniard
15th Mar 2010, 22:12
Notice how the flight is almost EMPTY? got off to a great start, seems like the only pax on there were freebies.

BIGBAD
15th Mar 2010, 22:20
An illustrious aviation career !!!

and as the photo proves - he did finish one course - the VA cabin crew course !

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v123/169/61/509613585/n509613585_124355_2571.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v120/169/61/509613585/n509613585_113807_984.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs425.ash1/23551_312673058585_509613585_3425311_8088182_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v47/169/61/509613585/n509613585_4775_9220.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v47/169/61/509613585/n509613585_4707_4213.jpg

PPRuNe Pop
15th Mar 2010, 22:54
One or two of you have suggested outing people not actually connected with VE. That is not acceptable neither is naming names. This is a serious matter and PPRuNe intends to keep it that way. Some posts have already been deleted.

Keep strictly on topic please.

Captivep
16th Mar 2010, 09:17
The latest quote from Mr Halstead (in the Oxford Mail):

Mr Halstead said: “I have certainly never acted fraudulently and I don’t think anyone within my company has.
“I have protected the interests of our passengers and am making sure they get their money (http://www.thisismoneyback.co.uk/money.php) back.
“It’s an incredibly unfortunate set of circumstances.
“I have tried to act as responsibly as possible so passengers’ money is not being used at all until flights have flown.
“The Will Gilligan thing is a bone of contention but I don’t think anyone’s acted illegally.
“He (Gilligan) was never a director of the company at all just an email address to keep me out of the public eye initially. It was never the intention for me to be the public face of the company because it would dent the credibility of the company off the back of Alpha One.
“There’s nothing illegal about using a pseudonym.
“I went along with it. I never saw it as an issue because Will Gilligan was never actually conducting any business for the company.”

Sometimes, things are beyond parody...

Surrey Towers
16th Mar 2010, 09:34
Silly man! He could have used Ronnie Kray or Katie Price or Wikky Peeder or even Walter Mitty. Why oh why does he talk to the press? He gets himself in even deeper. He will suffer the arrows of ill fortune shortly I shouldn't wonder!

TwinAisle
16th Mar 2010, 10:19
Will someone please relieve Mr H of his shovel?

It was never the intention for me to be the public face of the company because it would dent the credibility of the company off the back of Alpha One

Correct. Ever wondered why no-one would return your phone calls, Mr H? Perhaps they didn't want to do business with you. Coming up with a pseudonym so that people WILL deal with you is - um - what's the word?

From Wiki... Misrepresentation is one of several vitiating factors which can affect the validity of a contract. A misrepresentation occurs when one party makes a false statement with the intention of inducing another party to contract. For an action to be successful, some criteria must be met in order to prove a misrepresentation. These include:

1. A false statement of fact has been made,
2. The statement was directed at the suing party and
3. The statement had acted to induce the suing party to contract.

Looking at the criteria above in terms of LinksAir...

1. According to the Times, MH "boasted of a “consortium” of wealthy investors in the airline who never existed".
2. LinksAir would have been told that VE had money, otherwise no self-respecting operator would have operated at all;
3. See point 2.

Letsby Avenue?

TA

kms901
16th Mar 2010, 10:30
How long before he claims he has Asbergers and can't help it ?

DIA74
16th Mar 2010, 11:22
Thanks for that info re exclusions, Kirbymoorside. It does not appear that Varsity Express paid Links Air, but immaterial anyway. Without an ATOL Bond being in place, pax will, I think, just have to join the line of V.A. 's Creditors. They can usually get a refund on a credit card payment, if goods not supplied, but not always on a Debit card. When ATOLs were being set up, we had discussions with the CAA about airline bonding. It was considered unworkable because the CAA did not have powers to force foreign carriers to be bonded, and thus forcing UK ones would put them at a disadvantage. Since then the picture has changed beyond their dreams, with a huge percentage of air tickets no longer paid for over an agency counter in exchange for a paper ticket, but sold directly by carriers on line and paid for in return for an email. Although it has been an unwritten law that other carriers pick up the pieces if a rival goes under, these days most of them will not fly stranded pax free, so can finish up paying much higher price.

First.officer
16th Mar 2010, 11:25
Looking at one or two photo's from his earlier endeavours, it appears MH is wearing an expensive looking watch in one pic - maybe he could sell this to help re-imburse the people shafted by this affair ?!?.....or is that just wishful thinking given his stated desire to pay back all affected ?! lol

Oh, as an aside....and i may have mis-read......he was an F/O with Blue Islands for a while ?? but the postings above suggest he didn't complete the OAA course ?? just wondering how that came about if true ?? again, probably me mis-reading so apologies if so

F/O

DIA74
16th Mar 2010, 11:42
With all these new pilots looking for work but having to pay for TR on top of basic, and so many disgruntled experienced flight and cabin crew around, is the time right to launch - - PPRUNE AIR ???? - "The START-UP WE CAN ALL BELIEVE IN"

We have a pool of people on PPRUNE with terrific knowledge and experience in all departments. We all know how an airline SHOULD be run, don't we? I envision a John Lewis of the skies, sharing all profits with staff, but charging our investors for the privilege of putting their money into PPRNE AIR. Are there any "Baby Branson" investors out there who would like to come for an interview at The Gherkin? (CASH investors only, please)

Cirrus_Clouds
16th Mar 2010, 11:52
I remember watching a tv program about this guy and Alpha One. The tv crew followed him around whilst he visited banks and whilst he was waiting for the investment to arrive in his account. As soon as it did, he went and immediately bought a very expensive watch. He had quite a bit of confidence that the business would take off. Makes you wonder if it was that expensive watch from the old days ......

Re-Heat
16th Mar 2010, 12:00
Reminds me of that bloke who crashed into the tree in Scotland, and could not refrain from talking to the press repeatedly.

Idiot.

RTR
16th Mar 2010, 12:09
As I was just about to say!! Strangely enough.

There are many pre-requisites to starting up an airline. The first is having sufficient cash IN THE BANK, a proven track record, the necessary approvals and an aircraft that fits the purpose EXACTLY - not a noisy unsustainable machine that, after the novelty has worn off, no-one wants to fly in again. I would not like to have an operation from Oxford anyway, even if I did live there - which I do not!

Then, of course there is the ground ops and an AOC. Using someone else's AOC is fraught with problems and in this case it allowed for the unscrupulous to mis-use it and put the operation in question. Type ratings can be bonded but will be a lump to come out that big sum from IN THE BANK. Organisation, organisation, organisation is the key. The main key, however, is honesty with integrity.

ALL, and I do mean ALL, this was missing in this operation and should never have been allowed off the ground. If I had been owner of the aircraft I would have verified the veracity of Halstead's proposal and his 'investors.' It was blatantly clear it was a terrible example of misrepresentation that I have ever seen in all my years in the industry. There are many questions to be asked and many to be answered. Those TR's are a very big issue and the main question is into whose pockets did £60k(?) go?

The biggest warning of all is that someone with a track record like Halstead's should have been laughed at all the way to the asylum.

Sallyann1234
16th Mar 2010, 12:13
Mr Halstead said: “I have certainly never acted fraudulently and I don’t think anyone within my company has.
“I have protected the interests of our passengers and am making sure they get their money back.

Since the number of booked passengers appears to be virtually zero, that is not going to cost him very much.

As more reassuring statement would be:
“I have protected the interests of our flight crew and am making sure they get their money back."

TwinAisle
16th Mar 2010, 12:33
The biggest warning of all is that someone with a track record like Halstead's should have been laughed at all the way to the asylum.

That, RTR, goes a loooooooong way to explaining the Will Gilligan malarkey. I wonder how far this would have got if people knew that WG was a figment of MH's imagination? As you accurately said,

It was blatantly clear it was a terrible example of misrepresentation

Amen to that. I too have seen some sharp practices - start ups promising the world with nothing in the bank, pilots being recruited for non-existant aircraft and journalists being given nonsense copy about crazy business plans - but in this case, the biscuit has been taken.

As more reassuring statement would be:
“I have protected the interests of our flight crew and am making sure they get their money back."

Agreed. Also the poor folks at LinksAir, the airports etc - let's hope that they haven't been too bady bruised financially.

I would propose a few ideas for the CAA:

1. To use the world 'airline', you must have an AOC and an operating licence. No more of this virtual lunacy.
2. Tighten the financial scrutiny for a type B licence, so that it is more in line with the requirements for financial fitness for a type A licence.
3. Insist that anyone who wants to start an airline gets approved under Form 4 before they start shouting their mouths off to the press.
4. Make it clear that recruiting staff is a complete no-no unless the staff in question are given a clear understanding of the state of the company - before they quit their current job, or hand over any money.
5. CAA to post in an official journal the status of all start ups at predefined points of their development, so that suppliers can make an informed decision.

We really must make it easier to start serious airlines, but airlines like this are making it harder, dragging our industry into disrepute, and costing people a lot of money - in many cases, people who just cannot afford it.

TA

stansdead
16th Mar 2010, 12:44
Oh, where should I begin....

When I wad an A340 Fo with Virgin, this Halstead fella was a junior Cabin attendant. So, there we were flying to Newark (New Jersey, not Nottinghamshire) and The clown Halstead came up to the flightdeck.

I quizzed him about Alpha One. He blamed everyone and anyone for it's failure except himself...

... He then told us he was flying as crew because he had lost his medical. Apparently (and I'm not kidding here, his girlfriend had stabbed him)...

... Then he told me, in all seriousness that one day he would be chief pilot of Virgin and that both the very experienced Captain and I would work for him...

...the expensive watch? I bet he bought it in the "fake" Market in Shanghai on a Virgin trip....

...what glistens is not always Gold...

...ambitious, yes, credible NO!!

The fella is, was, always will be a danger to others.

There's a word for people like him. And seeing as I know him personally, I feel entitled to use it here. The word is :mad:

Re-Heat
16th Mar 2010, 12:54
Sounds like the 12 y/o flight-simmer with ambition that has yet to mature...

WindSheer
16th Mar 2010, 13:13
The guy has got a face I feel the urge to slap!!

What a total clown!

Potential
16th Mar 2010, 13:53
Oh, as an aside....and i may have mis-read......he was an F/O with Blue Islands for a while ?? but the postings above suggest he didn't complete the OAA course ?? just wondering how that came about if true ??

When I met Halstead back in January, he told me that he worked as an F/O with Blue Islands and later BMI. He also confirmed that he had trained at OAA, but he neglected to mention that he didn't finish the course. I have it on good authority that this is in fact the case, so if the BI/BMI jobs are true, he must have finished his training elsewhere.

Cloud Bunny
16th Mar 2010, 14:06
According to this months Airliner World (I only read it cos it was in the crew room - honest!!) he worked for Blue Islands for 6 motnhs before being sacked and then got picked up by some unknown Greek start-up Airline that, no doubt although it doesn't say, he paid for a A320 TR for that was done on the BMI sims. This company then went bust before it had started (hmmm, bit of a theme here!) and he was left high and dry. He has never worked for BMI. Another load of bull, from "Baby Bull$%*t"!

SpeedbirdXK8
16th Mar 2010, 14:33
Twin Aisle - i think LearJet 50 wins the "I told you so" T-Shirt.:ok: I am worried you lot only noticed the nice watch - what about the nice jewels the dark haired VA hosty is sporting:8

airmail
16th Mar 2010, 14:48
And now the Police are involved:

BBC News - Fraud probe into flight service from Oxford Airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8570193.stm)

Primitive Person
16th Mar 2010, 21:10
Hello - I'm new here and this is my first post.

I've followed all of this with great interest. Varsity caught my eye because I used to live in Oxford, although I've spent most of my life in London, and I recently moved to Linlithgow, near Edinburgh. I was planning a trip to see my family and friends in London, and Varsity's forty-nine quid fares attracted me. I'd seen some peoples' reservations, but I fell for the hype, and booked a ticket for last Thursday, 11th. Just as well I'd been following developments, because if I'd not bothered checking the news regularly, I could have missed everything, and I would have turned up at Edinburgh Airport none the wiser. As it happens, I found out the day the operation went tits-up and was able to book a train ticket instead.

The whole thing is absolutely disgusting, and shows how the doubters have been vindicated. Utterly disgraceful behaviour - I can't cope with such blatant dishonesty, it makes me furious, and I'm taking this personally because I was taken for a ride, albeit in a very small way. I should have known better - the signs were there right from the start, from the utterly useless (no doubt cheap!) booking system on the website, to the stupid posy pictures of MH on the publicity, trying to look like Captain Jack or something.

Now the truth has emerged, it's obvious to anyone with any sense that his business model was completely fraudulent and flawed. What's not been answered so far is whether he managed to fool himself. He managed to con everyone else - but did he do this deliberately, or did he live in such a fantasy world that he thought it would all work?

I'll admit to being no expert in aviation - railways are my forte - but I think one thing common to both trains and planes is an extremely active enthusiast scene. Often enthusiasts know a lot about the business and often they work in it with some success, but often...errr...they don't. Halstead strikes me as the classic unrealistic and deluded enthusiast with a passion for things that just don't work. He clearly seems to love both Oxford Airport and Jetstream 31s, despite the fact that Oxford isn't going to become a major hub anytime soon, and Jetstream 31s are too small, too noisy and too uneconomic to operate profitably for any length of time on a route like this. I've seen it in the railway industry so often, when enthusiasts do their nut when their favourite locos or coaches are withdrawn in favour of something more appropriate, modern, comfortable and economic. Railways - and airlines - are not theme parks for enthusiasts to play around in. That's what the preservation movement and private flying clubs are for. If you're going into business, there's no room for sentimentality or nostalgia for anything - you need to be extremely hard-nosed and realistic. Clearly MH lives in a fantasy world where things like taking responsibility for your own actions don't matter.

I watch further developments with interest...

PP

davidjohnson6
16th Mar 2010, 21:37
I don't know the guy, have never met him and have never had anything to do with anything of his ventures. It does however seem to me that people seem rather too keen to wield the knife now. The guy knows what he's done, he's all over the web and the police are involved. I know I'm not a mod, so this is only a polite request, but would it be possible to keep the personal stuff out of it ?

Adios
16th Mar 2010, 21:45
Twin Aisle expresses concern for the airports in post 140.

I think the Oxford Airport staff knew MH was behind VE, so I have no sympathy whatsoever for them, though I'll bet they didn't lose much money, if any. All their day-to-day dealings would have been with Links Air, but I think they succumbed to a naive desire to see their own growth plan succeed. Even today one of them is quoted in a story on the BBC web site saying almost every seat was full the first week and 500 additional tickets had been sold. I wonder if they had convincing proof of this, or just MH's sterling word? Even now they are hoping these numbers convince another airline to takeover the Oxford to Edinburgh route.

As Potential has written previously, a simple credit check on Varsity Air Services revealed the sole Director was MH. An elaborate new set of CAA rules is no substitute for such common sense.

To Primitive Person - The Jetstream 31 has 19 seats. Regulations would most likely require an ATOL if he were using a 20 seat or larger aircraft. He would never have passed the sniff test to get an ATOL, so the aircraft choice could be seen as circumstantial evidence that he knew he had much to hide. Applying for an ATOL would have flushed out the fictitiousness of Will Gilligan and perhaps would even have flushed out the other person involved as being banned from holding a company Director position in the UK.

To DavidJohnson6 - The whole media campaign for his first airline attempt was based on self promoting his personality and Bransonesqueness. It is ludicrous to request that the very thing he used to con people be left out of the discussion. From his very recent statements to the press that he did nothing wrong in creating the Will Gilligan persona, it is painfully obvious that he has not learnt is lesson!

Adios
16th Mar 2010, 22:07
Google "NPD DSM-IV" and see if the criteria sound familiar:

1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance, exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements.

2. Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

3. Believes he is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions.

4. Requires excessive admiration.

5. Has a sense of entitlement.

6. Selfishly takes advantage of others to achieve own ends, uses other people to get what they want without caring about the cost to the other people.

7. Lacks empathy.

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him.

9. Shows arrogant, haughty, patronizing, or contemptuous behaviours or attitudes.

Adios
16th Mar 2010, 23:01
Great detective work there CaptiveP and Flightrider!

Even the Wikipedia mods are suspicious that Cryton4 is MH himself and they called him out for suspected self-promotion and conflict of interest here: User talk:Cryton4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cryton4)

He truly is the gift that keeps on giving. Even made the BBC news this afternoon, still denying any wrongdoing and saying a way has been found to repay the pilots their money. Why doesn't PPrune have an icon of a flying pig when you need one?

Flightrider
16th Mar 2010, 23:08
It's an interesting read back through the full thread. We never did establish whether Oxjob was simply another Halstead alias to talk up the venture, but I will maintain my suspicions.

In terms of the CAA role, previous posters have (rightly) pointed out that the CAA ATOL Exemption 1 removes the need for anyone chartering aircraft of less than 20 seats to hold an ATOL. It is the very same piece of legislation used by Manx2 to launch and sustain its operations and in fairness to them, they appear to be hanging in there quite nicely after three years. Is it right to throw out a piece of legislation under which one business has thrived because someone like MH comes along and abuses it? I'd argue not, but I would argue that there is a strong case for action to be taken against MH for the fiasco which was Varsity Express.

The important thing here is to ensure that any action taken after this mess does not deter other, credible people from trying to make similar ventures work. TwinAisle's suggestions are all very well, but if applied nowadays would mean that easyJet would never have got started (it was a virtual airline to begin with too). It is equally the case that the airline licensing laws are EU law rather than UK law. Even if the CAA changed its policy, there would be nothing to stop under-funded Type B operators from other EU nations setting up shop in the UK to conduct operations. I don't think any of these suggestions could or would ever be practically applied.

Pilot Positive
17th Mar 2010, 00:37
I think the Oxford Airport staff knew MH was behind VE, so I have no sympathy whatsoever for them, though I'll bet they didn't lose much money, if any.

Actually they took all landing fees upfront principally because of the previous AlphaOne fiasco....pity they didnt share their doubts with the rest of the aviation community.

17th Mar 2010, 01:21
If the Polis do an even half decent job the guy is actually spectacularly likely to fall on his sword this time; thanks to a New Labour mania for new legislation and new offences that looks very worthwhile on this ocassion.

It would therefore be useful if the people who have attended the interview with him would provide statements to the police to same effect as the descriptions of the interviews they have posted here. Even if they haven't lost money; his attempt to get it still represents an act of fraud by false representation and giving a statement would help nail him for the people that have lost money.

Fraud by false representation is committed very simply. It is where a person dishonestly makes a false representation and intends by making the representation to make a gain for himself or another or to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.

A representation is false if it is untrue or misleading and the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.

There are two areas where he has made untrue statements that he must have known were untrue, with the intention of causing a gain for himself.

He made statements regarding the existence of investors with the intention of getting people to do business with him, to receive the gain of use of a leased aircraft, and to receive funds from would be pilots in respect of training.

He also made false statements as regards has identity, also with the (acknowledged) intention of gaining the benefit of getting people to do business with him.

It is also necessary to show that he "dishonestly" made these false statements.

Dishonesty has two elements:

- That the thing done was dishonest by the standards of reasonable honest people
- The the person doing the thing must have known that it was dishonest by those standards.

I would strongly argue that this test is met in respect of the statements regarding investors. That's wrong in anyone's book; and the guy had form - he knew that he needed to reassure people he had capital after what happened the last time. He needed money off pilots, and he knew he had to lie to get it, and he knew what lie he had to say in order to get it.

His Oxford Mail and Times statements tend towards him trying to suggest he doesn't meet the second of these tests in respect of the false name. However the reason he gives for using the false name itself shows dishonestly. He must have known it was wrong to make people that he knew didn't want to do business with him and that were ignoring him do business with him by pretending he was someone else. That's wrong in any person's book!

There are no other tests or hurdles to cross other than the ones I listed. A fraud is a fraud even if it is only an attempted fraud, and it is a fraud even if the intended victim knows from the outset that it's a fraud.

Obviously there are other potential areas, like the possible implied false representation that he was even capable of providing the money he took off people for the training. I don't know the ins and outs of the legislation relevant to that...

Very best wishes to CIT850, Potential, and the others. I hope you find real jobs with honest people really soon!

Edit: I've read further. All the best to CIT850, and congratulations to Potential!

TwinAisle
17th Mar 2010, 07:16
i think LearJet 50 wins the "I told you so" T-Shirt.

Happy to doff my cap to LearJet50, SpeedbirdXK8 - I think he was the first to put his suspicions into print!

TwinAisle's suggestions are all very well, but if applied nowadays would mean that easyJet would never have got started

I'm not sure that would be true, Flightrider. I would agree that easyJet wouldn't have got started the way that they did, but what is clear is that easyJet have an excellent model, and profitability. I would wager that they would have found a way to get started since they knew the fundamentals were right. Unlike You Know Who's!

Adios - I did indeed have sympathy with ANYONE who lost money on this debacle. However, in the light of Pilot Positive's post, I may reconsider that....

Under the principles of EU subsidiarity, I would bet that the CAA can indeed put extra rules in place in line with my post, btw - the conditions would be that they have to be applied consistently and in addition, not detracting from, EU regulation. Manx2 are a bit of a special case, since the IoM is not in the EU...

TA

blueplume
17th Mar 2010, 07:40
Although his comments to the press help sell papers and keep people interested in developments here and elsewhere I would give MH one piece of free advice.
STOP saying anything to anybody other than a good lawyer because you will only make it worse for yourself.
"No comment" should have been the reply from the beginning.
I do not support his actions, merely pointing out the obvious.
A self-publicist should know when to say little, just as he knows when to say a lot.
But I suspect it has taken on a life of its own already.

Bobs-Your-Uncle
17th Mar 2010, 10:11
To all other wannabees with £15k to spend it is also worth avoiding another bloke called Mark Davies.

He tried in 2006/2007 and got almost as far as Mr H. The similarities are endless.

Link:
http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/282637-unique-air-swansea.html

stator vane
17th Mar 2010, 10:41
this, or these individuals are well on their way to an impressive CV for a fast track to a bank director's position!!!

'i've started two airlines, neither one got off the ground, but i have good experience in big talking and big dreaming!'

'you're hired! let's now review the golden parachute clauses in the event of the predictable demise of this bank!'

Pilot Positive
17th Mar 2010, 11:18
If you are successful you will be placed on a Jetstream 31/32 type rating course starting at Oxford Aviation in Woodford, Manchester, on March 1st 2010. Your salary of £24,000 per year will be paid from your first line flight in early April 2010. You will be required to pay £15,000 for your type rating prior to the start of your training.

Kind regards,

Will Gilligan
Commercial Director
Varsity Express
[email protected]
Home (http://www.flyvarsity.com)

I was sent this by one of the guys who attended - its an extract from the invitation to interview email sent by Will Gilligan to potential FOs. The fact it states the amount of money required upfront is in itself a damning indictment...especially if no training occurred and no reimbursement likely.

Let me support 01475's comments by suggesting to those who did receive this email (regardless of outcome) that they take it to the Thames Valley Police.

PP

mad_jock
17th Mar 2010, 11:34
There is a rumour of another pay to fly scheme in the offing using J31/32's.

Pilot Positive
17th Mar 2010, 11:51
Its not a Martin Gilligan-Lawrence enterprise is it by any chance? :ugh:

When you say "Scheme" do you mean "Scam"?

If there is another scam then it just reinforces the point that at the moment this pay to fly route is being unscrupulously exploited at the expense of young FO's. And its a culture we've created! :hmm:

Wouldn't it great if all the young FO's STOPPED paying for TR's and line training and put some value back into the pilot employment market for their own futures. :ok: Easier said then done.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Mar 2010, 12:07
In view of what is now known that e-mail is fraudulent - but do let the police know.

Potential
17th Mar 2010, 12:45
If you are successful you will be placed on a Jetstream 31/32 type rating course starting at Oxford Aviation in Woodford, Manchester

OAA's J31/32 sim is not even in Manchester, it's in Stockholm!

mad_jock
17th Mar 2010, 13:12
But they still do the ground school in Woodford.

The pay to fly thing has actually been mentioned on pprune.

If it does kick off I think the mods will again be put in a difficult position having to remove posts on the subject for legal reasons.

Adios
17th Mar 2010, 18:53
Concerning the email from Will Gilligan to VE FO Interviewees, I assume the fictitious name is pretty damning, but what if Halstead had sent them in his own name? Would it still be fraud? There are two more facts that are not yet in evidence, that could still make it fraud, and if they are proved later, make the case pretty strong. I will pose them as questions.

1. Did Varsity Air Service's contract with Links Air grant VAS the right to hire FO's for the flights or barring this, did LA and VAS have an agreement in place wherein VAS' Directors could recommend FOs to LA for this route?

2. Did Links Air or Varsity ever discuss with OAA that they would send FOs to Manchester (or Stockholm, or anywhere else) for OAA provided Jetstream 31 Type Ratings?

There are three follow up questions:

3. Where have Links Air previously sent FOs for Type Ratings?

4. Did OAA have a Jetstream 31 type rating course scheduled to start on the date in question, or if not already scheduled, could they have met that date?

5. How much do OAA charge for a Jetstream 31 Type Rating?

It is sad that the people who paid £15K got suckered in when the FO interview was with a company that did not hold an AOC and was subcontracting the flight ops. Shouldn't it have been Links Air doing the interviews and hiring? Links Air probably should have pulled the plug as soon as they heard VAS was interviewing FOs, but maybe they never heard since PPrune had to pull so many threads.

Potential has written that he applied for a Cabin Crew position with VE. The same set of questions applies to this, but since there are no claims yet of charging for CC training, perhaps there was no fraud in this regard. It does make me wonder why VAS bothered to hold CC interviews though.

TwinAisle
17th Mar 2010, 19:02
I refer the honourable gentleman above to post 51....

Can I have a 'Told You So' t-shirt as well? :ok:

TA

Captivep
17th Mar 2010, 19:04
I'm sitting in Terminal 5 and, with an hour to kill, bought a copy of Airliner World - as has been mentioned before it contains the most vomit inducing article about MH.

If you've not read it, you should (oddly, it's quite amusing) and so should the Police, but for different reasons. Anyway, let me give you the highlights (insert your own sarcasm/irony smiley as appropriate) :

Alpha1 only went bust because a Middle Eastern Investor pulled an investment of £250,000 but, happily for MH, he (investor) made an out of court settlement before Alpha1's lawyers could drag him through the courts.

Even more happily, MH ensured that all creditors were paid off out of his own money.

Fortune favours the good, obviously, and MH secured a job as a Flying Ambassador for Virgin, flying alongside cabin crew (not as one of them, clearly), giving advice on how service and operational procedures could be improved.

Then, out of the blue, he was offered a job with Blue Islands only to fall foul of the economic downturn six months later, being made redundant(not sacked - heaven forbid)...

Luckily, though, at just the right time, a group of Tenerife/UK based investors approached MH for the fifth time (no, honestly) and, although, MH told them that managing another airline wasn't on his agenda, he was persuaded. After all, as he so eloquently put it - "it was time to put baby branson to bed and sing him a lullaby. I want to be the first Martin Halstead from here on in."

Happily for all concerned the fundamental business plan was strong and a lot of funding was in place. Hence the reason that MH now owns 50% of the business, having invested some of his own money.

You might need to wipe a tear of admiration from your eye as you consider MH's final point :"I guess I had a point to prove to myself that I could do it."

I always thought the Michael Foot Labour party manifesto was the most damaging piece of self-puffery in the world but i've changed my mind....

At least Michael Foot didn't bring his mother along to the launch day to be photographed with a bottle of champagne.

On the Oxford News Website tonight:

"A YOUNG pilot claims to have been left high and dry by the demise of Oxford airline Varsity Express after he invested £15,000 to be trained by the collapsed carrier.
Twenty-three-year-old Peter Chilvers borrowed cash from his parents, grandmother and other family members so he could fulfil his childhood dream of becoming an airline pilot.
Mr Chilvers is one of four recently-qualified pilots who handed over a total of £52,500 to be ‘type-trained’ – to learn to fly the company’s 18-seat Jetstream 31 plane.
Varsity Express, which offered daily flights between Oxford and Edinburgh, was grounded after just a week, leaving passengers – and Mr Chilvers – stranded in the Scottish capital last week.
Thames Valley Police (http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/search/?search=%22Thames+Valley+Police%22) has launched an investigation into allegations of “fraudulent activity” at the airline.
However, the entrepreneur behind Varsity Express, Martin Halstead, has denied any wrongdoing and has pledged that all the pilots will be repaid in full.
Mr Chilvers was offered a £24,000-a-year job after being interviewed in London and had been due to start his first pilot’s job with Varsity in May.
However, he needed to hand over the money (http://www.thisismoneyback.co.uk/money.php), including £4,000 from his 89-year-old grandmother Barbara, so he could be type-trained.
Mr Chilvers, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, in Staffordshire, underwent training at Oxford Aviation Academy.
He said: “I always wanted to be a pilot. I was incredibly excited to begin work. It would have been real flying and a great route to start off on, with short sectors all in the UK.
“Being based out of Oxford would have been the ideal location.
“Varsity held the interviews in the ‘Gherkin’ in London and that sort of thing doesn’t come cheaply, so I thought these guys were well backed.
“I’m desperate to get that money back.”
Mr Halstead, 23, from Summertown, said he had written off £3,500 of his own money that he put into Varsity.
However, he added: “The pilots will be reimbursed. We are in discussion with them at the moment about a payment schedule to get their refunds returned.
“That money was put into the company and used as part of the working capital, but we are working on getting it back.
“It’s a priority that no-one should be out of pocket on this.”
Mr Chilvers fears that losing the money would harm his chances of future employment in the industry, as it is now commonplace for pilots to pay for their training.
He said: “Currently in the airline industry companies that are taking on the most pilots want some financial contribution.
“Having no money rules me out of quite a lot of jobs in the industry that are open to someone of my experience level.
“My family have stood by me and helped me as much as possible but their finances have been completely ex-hausted.
“My main concern is being reimbursed for this money and being able to pay my debts off to my family. I’m devastated.”
Mr Halstead has already insisted that between 350 and 400 passengers who had booked trips with Varsity would be refunded within 14 days.
He said the pilots would have their money returned within three months."

Note that MH admits to using the £52,500 as working capital.

Carmoisine
17th Mar 2010, 19:15
MH secured a job as a Flying Ambassador for Virgin, flying alongside cabin crew (not as one of them, clearly), giving advice on how service and operational procedures could be improved.

Good grief.

A further insight into the boys mentality if it was required. This individual has a sense of elevated importance over eveyone around him, I imagine it helps him be so ruthless towards his innocent victims.

iris0202
17th Mar 2010, 20:12
My goodness, what a mess. I simply can't understand how MH might think that using a fake name to do any of the following is not a business use of this fake Commercial Director -

1. Communicate with potential employees (as noted on this forum earlier)
2. Communicate with Oxford Airport (as confirmed by an Oxford Airport spokeswoman in one of the early press articles)
3. Comment on the state of the company in VE-issued press releases posted on VE's website and throughout the internet

MH was quoted as saying “I went along with it. I never saw it as an issue because Will Gilligan was never actually conducting any business for the company.” Making arrangements with airports, communicating with potential employees, making statements in VE issued press releases....that sure sounds like Gilligan was doing "business for the company," does it not?

I, too, have many questions. First of all - where are the other 3 pilots? Nothing has been mentioned about them. Surely they're wanting their money back too. I really hope they all come forward to collect their money back from VE and I hope those who were interviewed for the FO jobs will submit any info they have to the police. Also, admitting you used the pilots' money as capital for the company when they handed it over under the pretense that it would pay for their training...that seems like a horrible idea when trying to claim innocence, no?

I'm eager to hear what the police have found and whether or not there will be official charges brought against VE/MH. However, this is a very sad event for legitimate airline entrepreneurs. This will, no doubt, make it very difficult for future start ups.

Pilot Positive
17th Mar 2010, 20:27
Nice article Captivep - didnt know MH was so accomplished. He should go far...like Brazil. :} Anyway lets hope Mr Chilvers gets his money back and more...

- TR J31 with OAA = Euros 21375 PER CREW (includes CAA exam fees) or approx £19k.

- Given that the J31 is a multi-crew aircrfat it is fair to say that the cost for the J31 on your license is approx. £9.5K per crew member.

- This cost excludes base training - which, i think, OAA cannot conduct.

- £15k - £9.5k = £5.5k x 5 FOs = £27.5k

- The cost of base training for 5 FOs in one day would not amount to £27k (J31 = approx £800 - £1k hourly operational rate?) possibly £5k maximum.

- Line training can be done during normal commercial/revenue earning sectors.

So even if MH had paid for the TR with OAA and had sent the email in his own name that still leaves the question of the £20k odd leftover. Where did it go? :=

Given he did not enter into consultation with the FOs with regards to the real cost and how this extra cash would be distributed contractually then this in itself is fraud. The fact he used Will Gilligan as an alias to solict the money in the first place just galvanises any case against him further. :D

lsh
17th Mar 2010, 20:33
He talked about "Will Gilligan" as if its a real person.
I found that interesting and looked-up "pathological".
Its worth a look, gives a lot of answers!
lsh

Rob's Dad
17th Mar 2010, 20:38
Interesting discussion. I recall at the time of the interviews the TRs were being advertised as being with OAA/CAE in Stockholm. I spoke to CAE before deciding whether to submit an application to VE, they (Stockholm) were very helpful and advised me they had no knowledge of VE or any bookings in their names. Furthermore, they said £15k was a lot for a J31 TR and wondered if it included line training?

No, I didn't apply and, yes, I did pass the info on to those I knew invited to VE for interview. Their views are shown elsewhere.

pug
17th Mar 2010, 20:59
In response to the post by captivep. Some may remember the september 09 issue of airliner world and their patheticaly sensationalist pat-on-own-back, for playing their part in uncovering the 17 year old Adam 'Tait' and his bogus airline.

Perhaps the bosses at the mag should take a look at why they can vindicate a young kid who, after themselves suggesting he had a form of autism, was setting out to hurt no one, yet they are prepared to give good publicity to 'baby Branson' and his next failed venture. Incidently it would seem his actions have had serious financial implications on a number of people...

Im sorry for side tracking the thread, just thought it was worth pointing out. Perhaps they will be backpeddling for their next issue as i type this? hmm