PDA

View Full Version : IPhone and Junk mail

Chicken Leg
13th Mar 2010, 13:03
I'm new to the Iphone and although I'm very happy with it, one aspect is driving me crazy!

I have set up a couple of email accounts to be forwarded to the phone, but my main personal email account on the phone also receives all the junk mail that is filtered out on my laptop/PC. I'm getting around 50 email per day on the phone, and 90% of them are spam that are automatically filtered into the Spam Folder on the server, but appear to be being sent to the Iphone.

How can I stop this??

Thanks in advance.

call100
13th Mar 2010, 14:12
You are obviously using an email address from a provider that doesn't filter spam at source. Consider Gmail or GMX or in fact anyone that does actually filter at source. To be honest if you are getting that much spam, it's probably time to change your email anyway...I don't get spam via my email provider so none comes onto the phone....:ok: As far as I know, there is no filter list on the phone, then again I've never had occasion to look for one...;)
Good luck...

Chicken Leg
13th Mar 2010, 15:16
I'm using BT Internet!

Keef
13th Mar 2010, 16:05
There you go!

Get yourself a Gmail account, set the BT Internet account to forward everything to Gmail, which will filter it for you.

You can then set up the Gmail account as an Imap on your iPhone, and the same on the home PC, so you have all your "stuff" to hand wherever you happen to be.

Chicken Leg
13th Mar 2010, 17:07
call100, Keef,

Thanks for your help.

spannersatcx
13th Mar 2010, 18:20
I'm using BT Internet! So am I, if you go to online mail access there are spam filters that can be set up, I very rarely get spam coming through but my spam box fills up rapidly.

Chicken Leg
14th Mar 2010, 20:58
spannersatcx

I think you may have missed my point. On my BT Internet server page, the majority of the spam does go to the the Spam Box, but for some reason, it still gets forwarded to my phone.

I guess I will have to take Keef's advice, but if there was a solution that meant that I didn't have to set up another email address to prevent it, I would rather take that. As it is I use a Bigfoot forwarding address, so adding another one means my emails will be doing some serious emiles! Don't suppose it really matters though..............

Keef
14th Mar 2010, 22:50
If your mail is starting from a Bigfoot address, send it direct from there to your Gmail Imap address. You don't need to "use" the BTInternet address at all.

You can also set the BTInternet one to point at Gmail.

I don't use the e-mail addresses provided by my ISP. I've changed ISP a few times over the years, and not had to tell anyone about it. It "just works".

Once you've had a few weeks working with Imap on the iPhone and the home PC, you won't want to change back.

green granite
15th Mar 2010, 07:32
I too use BT and never get spam in my inbox, It also filters out 'spam' from Amazon into the spam box but puts order info and receipts from them in the inbox which is very good, so stop knocking it keef it's better than GMail or hotmail.

Also what do you expect from a Mac based piece of kit. :E

spannersatcx
15th Mar 2010, 18:28
Is it an iphone issue then, as I don't get any mail in my spam box on my blackberry?

call100
15th Mar 2010, 20:15
is it IMAP or PoP3 you are collecting? if it's IMAP stop the spam folder syncing.

Chicken Leg
16th Mar 2010, 16:50
call100,

Sorry pal, your question means not a lot to this luddite!

I don't know what imap is, but Keef seems to like it, yet you advise I turn it off?

:confused:

Chicken Leg
16th Mar 2010, 16:54
spannersatcx,

I've just gone from the Blackberry to Iphone and I didn't have this problem with the Blackberry either! So, I guess it may be an Iphone thing.

call100
16th Mar 2010, 20:40
call100,

Sorry pal, your question means not a lot to this luddite!

I don't know what imap is, but Keef seems to like it, yet you advise I turn it off?

:confused:
The Difference Between POP3 and IMAP : Tech Pedia (http://technopedia.info/tech/2006/08/11/the-difference-between-pop3-and-imap.html)...Anyway don't worry about that too much at the moment...
Reading your earlier post I'm not certain if your Spam is downloading into your inbox folder or into it's own Spam folder...

Chicken Leg
16th Mar 2010, 23:09
Reading your earlier post I'm not certain if your Spam is downloading into your inbox folder or into it's own Spam folder...

If I open up my BT Internet mail page on my PC/Laptop, Junk mail is where it should be..... in the spam folder. So no problems there.

However!

That same spam folder is being forwarded to my Iphone along with all the good email that I want. So, my spam box is working as advertised when accessed in the normal way, but causing me much angst on the Iphone!

The more I read these posts, the more I think there must be something I can do about it, as it appears to be just me that is effected! Is there a setting that I've missed? Unless of course none of you chaps get much spam in your spam box. My earlier statement of 50 per day may have been a slight exaggeration, but I would say 20 per day is probably normal.

Getting a new email address is obviously a fairly simple solution and one that I will employ if there are no other suggestions as to some settings either on the phone, BT page or Outlook that might make it go away!

spannersatcx
17th Mar 2010, 12:24
Does SpamGuard work if I use an email program?

Normally, contents of your Bulk or Spam mail folder will not automatically appear when you check your mail using an email program. By default, the option to do this is turned off, and messages caught by SpamGuard can only be seen via webmail.

Please note that bulk and spam mail will remain in your Bulk or Spam mail folder and will count against your storage quota, unless you visit webmail and delete them yourself.

You can also choose how long you want to keep messages in your Bulk or Spam mail folder.

If you prefer to download the contents of your Bulk or Spam mail folder in addition to your inbox, go to webmail. For Mail Classic, click on "Mail Options" near the top right, then click on "Pop Access and Forwarding", and check the box next to "I want to receive all messages, including those that SpamGuard thinks are spam". Optionally you can select "For messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam, add [Bulk] as a prefix to the subject". This will help you to manage your bulk mail using your email program.

Have a look in the options to make sure it is set correctly.

Chicken Leg
17th Mar 2010, 19:07
spannersatcx,

I had gone through that process already, but thanks for the pointer.

I've taken Keef's advice. I have have a Google Mail address to add to the list!

Thanks everybody.

BTW. BT Internet still haven't responded to the query that I sent them on the subject. Time to spend my hard earned somewhere else, I think!

call100
17th Mar 2010, 20:12
If I open up my BT Internet mail page on my PC/Laptop, Junk mail is where it should be..... in the spam folder. So no problems there.

However!

That same spam folder is being forwarded to my Iphone along with all the good email that I want. So, my spam box is working as advertised when accessed in the normal way, but causing me much angst on the Iphone!

The more I read these posts, the more I think there must be something I can do about it, as it appears to be just me that is effected! Is there a setting that I've missed? Unless of course none of you chaps get much spam in your spam box. My earlier statement of 50 per day may have been a slight exaggeration, but I would say 20 per day is probably normal.

Getting a new email address is obviously a fairly simple solution and one that I will employ if there are no other suggestions as to some settings either on the phone, BT page or Outlook that might make it go away!
I think I'm being really thick here.....Does your spam on the iPhone download into a 'Spam folder' or does it download into the 'Inbox folder' and mix up with your legit mail?

Mike-Bracknell
18th Mar 2010, 10:26
I think I'm being really thick here.....Does your spam on the iPhone download into a 'Spam folder' or does it download into the 'Inbox folder' and mix up with your legit mail?

It's all a case of WHERE the spam is being filtered. It's obvious that his BT account has no filtering inherent on the server, hence when he downloads it all to Outlook, Outlook does the filtering on site and hence moves them to a local junk mailbox. The iPhone doesn't have a junk mail filter per se, so that is why no on-site filtering is performed. In fact it's not atypical to have a mobile device with no form of inherent spam filter.

The *best* method therefore is to have the spam filtered out at the server end - i.e. BEFORE it gets downloaded to your Outlook or your device. This is why reputable IT companies always employ spam filters at the server end :)