PDA

View Full Version : Any FAA Examiner in Palau or Guam?

Air_King
12th Mar 2010, 08:56
dose anyone know if there are any FAA examiners in Palau or Guam , both of which use FAA regulations. Palau used to be US protectorate and Guam still is. so, i'm guessing there should be FAA examiners there

tks

slatch
13th Mar 2010, 05:47
Designee Type(s) - ACE,ATPE,CE,CIRE,DPE,FIE,MCFPE,NDPER,PE,PPE,SPE,SPFIE
DILKS, ALFRED
P.O. BOX 24521
BARRIGADA GU 96921-4521
Phone: (671) 632-2163

FAA Office: WP13 (http://av-info.faa.gov/FindFSDO.asp?RO=WP&DO=13)

Designee Type(s) - ACE,ATPE,CE,CIRE,DPE,FIE,MCFPE,NDPER,PE,PPE,SPE,SPFIE
TAMANAHA, NAOYA
USAF
18 SVS/SVRA, KADENA AERO CLUB
UNIT 5135, BOX 10
APO AP 96368
Phone: (611) 734-5758

FAA Office: WP03 (http://av-info.faa.gov/FindFSDO.asp?RO=WP&DO=03)

pacificgypsy
13th Mar 2010, 06:45
Kadena = Okinawa = a long commute from Guam or Palau!

slatch
13th Mar 2010, 22:57
Not if your in Taiwan, which is were he puts as his location

Captain Stravaigin
14th Mar 2010, 03:20
Does anyone have an e-mail address for the examiner based in Taiwan ?

I still need to organise my FAA CPL checkride sometime. I am not in a rush and am based in KUL, Malaysia

Air_King
14th Mar 2010, 09:16
@ statch

thanks statch. okinawa is pretty close. but, yes, i am based on taiwan, if anyone knows of an examiner in taiwan that would be even better. but, i was assuming that palau or okinawa would be best option (cuz they are FAA jurisdictions).

but, ya, if anyone knows of FAA examiner based out of taiwan that would be great too....

japanam
14th Mar 2010, 15:12
Air_King

Let me just shed some in-sight on the responses you've gotten. I personally know both of the examiners listed and you may have some challenges depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

First with Al Dilks. Unless you're trying to accomplish a certificate using a SINGLE engine aircraft, you are going to have to provide you're own. I don't have any updates and my info may be outdated (the last time I was in Guam was two years ago); but to my knowledge there isn't a single FBO/Operation that rents twins. Majority of the multi engine stuff Al does is with Freedom Air, using their Shorts, Chieftain or Twin Cessna, for their 135/121 operation. Maybe Freedom will lend you their twin now, though I doubt it, but it may be worth a shot.

Regarding Tama (short for Naoya Tamanaha); he is the Chief / Manager for the aero club on Kadena Air Base. Unless you're affiliated with the US military, are a DOD employee, or in a position in which you have access to US military installations, you're going to have a difficult time getting on base. AND, if you're going to have problems accessing the base, you can forget about renting one of their planes (all singles).

Furthermore, I believe Tama has some restrictions as to what types of checkrides he is allowed to accomplish. The last I heard, he is only permitted to give checks to U.S. citizens only, if it's for the issuance of a certificate. In addition, he is now allowed to accomplish Second in Command Type Check to people of any nationality, but if you're still working on your FAA CPL, I guess that removes you from the picture.

Having said all this, if you're still looking for a FAA examiner, the closest I could think of where you will have access to a twin (if that's what you need) is PHNL (Honolulu).

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

slatch
14th Mar 2010, 22:57
Try emailing the Club and asking for it

[email protected]

Air_King
17th Mar 2010, 07:21
hey, Japanam,

actually, i just want to get my single engine PPL converted. i have PPL from philipipnes and want to get full conversion to FAA before that expires (which is pretty soon) because it will be easier to use around the world.

but, i'm based on Taiwan which doesnt have GA and doesnt have FAA examiners (as far as i know). so, i was expecting to have to go somewhere fairly close like Guam, Palau, or maybe Okinawa. but, from what you say, it sounds like those options dont look too good.

any other suggestions closer to Taiwan?

japanam
17th Mar 2010, 14:39
Air_King

§ 61.75 Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.

(a) General. A person who holds a foreign pilot license at the private pilot level or higher that was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a U.S. private pilot certificate with the appropriate ratings if the foreign pilot license meets the requirements of this section.

(b) Certificate issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate issued under this section must specify the person's foreign license number and country of issuance. A person who holds a foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued a U.S. private pilot certificate based on the foreign pilot license without any further showing of proficiency, provided the applicant:

(1) Meets the requirements of this section;

(2) Holds a foreign pilot license, at the private pilot license level or higher, that does not contain a limitation stating that the applicant has not met all of the standards of ICAO for that license;

(3) Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate;

(4) Holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a medical license issued by the country that issued the person's foreign pilot license; and

(5) Is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

As far as the regulations are concerned, I don't think you need to see a designated examiner for what you're trying to accomplish.

You might want to look into visiting the FAA office in Singapore. As long as your paperwork is all in order, and you meet the requirements listed above, they may be able to help you out. If Singapore doesn't work, you are probably going to have to visit a FSDO office to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Designated examiners are for examinations, not for issuance of a pilot certificate based on a foreign one!

Air_King
18th Mar 2010, 07:31
tks japanam

but, actually, what u copied there is a FAA license based on a foreign license..meaning it would only be temporary and contingent on my foreign license (because it says that the FAA license would need to show the foreign license number on the FAA certificate issued). but, i want to get full conversion of my license to an FAA and dont plan to keep my original foreign license after it expires. i just plan to keep the FAA from then on...

Droste
30th Dec 2011, 15:33
Q1. I would like to do some sight scenary in a single engine airplane.
Any flight school to recommend?

Q2. Not related to Q1. Is there any FAA flight examiner currently in Guam?