PDA

View Full Version : Delta connection academy or ATP..best in USA??

nivy
12th Mar 2010, 00:52
Dear All,

I am from India and planning to join either delta connection academy or ATP academy in US for CPL. Will be really gr8 if anyone could give some feedback on either of the schools or any other better school in USA. Iam completely fresher to flying and just researching on what i should be looking at when selecting academy. Thanks.

SweWB
21st Mar 2010, 18:43
hello nivy,
Delta connection and ATP are both big schools and, I'm sure, have good organizations. I recall though that I heard when I was training in Florida that ATP-trained pilots were over represented in accidents. I think that there were three fatal accidents including ATP-trained pilots within a short while. The Continental-feeder crashing in Boston being the most recognized. I could add another school to your category of brand name schools in Florida, and that is FlightSafety in Vero Beach and also recommend the school I choose which is Paris Air, also in Vero. Paris is small, but really well kept, with so dedicated instructors and well stunning maintenance. You will save a couple of months of training and maybe 30 % of your budget by choosing a school like Paris Air. I have tons of friends who are very happy with FlightSafety too and who really do appriciate the brand name, but fact is that they are still there after I finnished and they will end up spending lots more!

UncleNobby
21st Mar 2010, 21:16
Continental feeder crash in Boston? - think you mean Buffalo. Think you are also confusing ATP with another training provider with a less than stellar reputation among pilots. As far as ATP vs Delta goes - I think ATP has a better reputation and is probably cheaper (just making this judgement from what I hear and read)

There are a lot of flight schools/FBOs in the US to choose from - if you do some research past the first 2 that appear on a google search you will realize there are a lot of options for quality instruction as well as considerable cost savings.

Good luck

SweWB
22nd Mar 2010, 21:17
I did confuse Boston with Buffalo. But I still think that I heard on the news that the capt or fo was from ATP and that there have been two more fatal accidents involving pilots from that school. One being a mid-air collision and the other I don't remember. I hope I don't confused the schools as well now that I'm bad mouthing an FTO like this...
Anyway, my point being that you will get a more personal training, lower costs and possibly a much shorter training if you go with a school that's small and run by someone really enthusiastic about teaching people how to fly.

tigermagicjohn
23rd Mar 2010, 07:14
If you have more money then brain, then Delta is for you! Over priced, and over marketed full of BS to sell you the school.

You probably can find a better school at half the price!

chock2chock
24th Mar 2010, 17:17
I made the "mistake" of filling out the information request form on their website, And about a week later I got a call from a sales/training rep, they obviously were very very eager to have my business, as over the next three or so months they called me like three times (I live Outside the US) asking If I had reviewed the e-packages they sent me and asking if I was ready, to come to Delta and so on. ...I stressed that I would never dream of choosing a flight school without actually coming and seeing the facility, an he was having none of that. But they do come at you kinda hard... something that put me off a bit.... I balked w :eek:when I saw the prices:

Well , I inquired about the J-1 instructor program,which is naturally the most expensive and intensive one available in any flight school. I compared it to Flight Safety which is also very expensive by US standards- probably the next most expensive school. and it didnt come even close. Here is an ectract from the email Delta sent me:

With ATP you must be resident in the USA to go there, but ive heard mostly good things about them.

Dear choc2chock

Thank you for interest in Delta Connection Academy. We are the only flight academy in the United States wholly owned by a major airline. We train to airline standardization and have a global reputation for providing outstanding flight training. We have many students from around the world training here. Please take a look at the attachments which outlines course details and costs and feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. In order to complete your application for admission and send you an I-20. Please follow the steps below as outlined..

1. Completed enrollment application.

2. Deposit of $1900 by credit card or wire.
$200 application and registration fee (not refundable)
$1000 course deposit (to be used toward training)
$700 housing deposit

Wiring Instructions:
Key Bank
127 Public Square
Cleveland, OH 44114
credit to: Delta Connection Academy, Inc.
Account No. 199681008793
ABA No. 041001039 (Bank Routing Number)
SWIFT No. KEYBUS33

3. Copy of FAA 1st or 2nd Class Medical Certificate. Please go to FAA Flight Physicals: Pilots Medical Exams Facilitated (http://www.flightphysical.com/) to look for an approved doctor or sign the attached waiver document acknowledging that you will get the medical upon arrival here and that if you cannot pass the medical, your visa will be cancelled and you will need to return to your home country.

4. Copy of high school diploma or equivalent translated into english.

5. Copy of a valid passport including picture and pages showing validity.

6. Signed authorization to obtain health insurance as attached. In order to maintain your visa status while here in the US, you are required to hold health insurance coverage with specific limits and coverage's. If you currently have health insurance that you feel would meet these requirements, please bring that documentation with you when you enroll. If it meets the standards then you will not have to buy our insurance. However, in order to expedite your enrollment, I would suggest you sign the authorization initially accepting the insurance.

7. Copy of a financial affidavit of support from your bank or a bank statement showing you are able to support the total cost of your course plus insurance plus housing and living ($1300 per month) as estimated by immigration for the duration of your visa (24 months).
This amount needs to be at least $109,782.20 USD :ooh::eek:

Course: $77,430.20
Insurance: $1,152.00
Housing and Living: $1300 for 24 months = $31,200.00
Total: $ 109,782.20 USD

The course apparently at the time some kind of Jet Orientation Course in a Frasca device, but I suspect it is not included as It is quoted as costing $5,160.

As a foreign national I believe the main advantages of doing such a course would be lost on me because it is targeted at fast track-to- the -right seat of a Regional Airline. But who knows what the name "Delta" on ones resume could do for them in other parts of the world. In this case it is quite obvious that the name "Delta is a selling point.

But all this was back in 2008 so definitely check them out if you want up to date info, Im sure thell send you more than you need.

buddys
15th Apr 2010, 16:33
Interesting. I'm looking for a flight school in the USA also. I live in Asia. I was thinking of going to Flight Safety Academy before but after a lot of reading, I think I can do it elsewhere and cost much less.

So far, there're just too many flight schools to choose from and I'm kind of lost.

I also inquired at Delta. They never got to e-mail me the pricing but after seeing chock2chock's message... Wow! That's a lot of money!

Anyway, I received a call today from Delta. I didn't actually get to talk to them because there was a problem with my phone so someone e-mailed me right after that unsuccessful call to check if I had another number. Anyway, I'm guessing I might get another call based on chock2chock's message earlier. :)

Clintonb
15th Apr 2010, 19:08
im in the same boat as nivy i been looking at delta and also phoenix east in daytona. but i heard that delta got sold out or something? whats up with that?
does anyone have more information about phoenix east whether they a good school. they look and sound great but its all marketing. but really this industry is an expensive thing and you going to have to spend money one way or another. so would cheaper be better? i think either way you will get ripped off go cheaper you get less standards and poor teaching (because why would they market their courses cheap to suck you into their school right?) go more expensive you get ripped off for your money maybe? the problem is you just got to find that one school that could be cheap or expensive but gives you the right qualifications and thats what im looking for i want to be dead sure that when i leave i have great qualifications and the right ones as a lot of schools offer different things like integrated jet rating? serious i thought the airlines paid for that right? and that i get pointed in the right direction. thats my issue is to find the right one and know im going to a great school that has my best interests in mind. i been searching since march and i want to get start with training ASAP. dont worry nivy im in the same boat.

thanks to everyone for helping us newbies. really appreciate it. safe flying to you all.

PIELORD
15th Apr 2010, 19:58
Hi Clinton

I'm at PEA at the moment. If you would like some specific info then feel free to IM me, but in general it is a very good school and I would recommend them.

Regards:ok:

Northbeach
17th Apr 2010, 01:09
Why doesn’t somebody open a first class flight training academy in India? My Hindi is non-existent, I am too busy flying my 737 and at 50 it isn’t going to happen for me. Certainly, there is some Air India or Indian Air Force pilot with the wherewithal to put together a top school to pump out the future pilots the Indian subcontinent, with it’s tremendous growing and prosperous population, is going to need.

India is the world’s largest democracy, has a great number of highly educated and motivated work force. And Indians are renowned businessmen & women. Why should you have to look to the US? Don’t misunderstand, you are welcome here and we will take your money for training. But it seems like a business opportunity for me, especially for some established training school to get together with local Indian resources to produce excellent locally trained future pilots.

Respectfully,

Northbeach