PDA

View Full Version : Nose cameras

Nihontraveller
3rd Jul 2001, 08:00
No, not a weird medical device or a type of hightech headgear but standard equipment on all Japanese civil aircraft. At least the ones flying domestic routes.

They really add to the interest of the flight. They are not much use on takeoff. Once the aircraft is rotated then all you see is blue sky. On landing however you can see the whole panorama ahead and judge the pilots skill (or the autopilots skill!) as you close the threshold. If you are an Fsim fan you can join the action but mind where you put your hands.

Mind you we had a bit of shock last week to see a Korean Airlines 747 line up for it`s take off run at Fukuoka (Japan) as we turned onto a very short final. But then came the familiar view of blue sky as we went around for another shot at it. Great fun! Much better than the inflight movies.

Are any other airlines fitting cameras? I am interested to know so I can book the right flights in future.

Best to all.
Nihontraveller

Herod
3rd Jul 2001, 14:15
So where do you work? Can we get a camera installed so that everyone can watch as you transplant a heart, close a megabucks deal, write up someone's will, and perhaps judge your skill? Pilots are there to do the job of transporting you safely from A to B, not to provide entertainment

OH-SHT
3rd Jul 2001, 21:51
Finnair has those devices installed on their A319/-20/-21 fleet. Really entertaining thingy from the passenger's point of view, indeed !!

Sharjah Night Shift
3rd Jul 2001, 23:32
Emirates have them on the 777 and A330.

They were great watching a night landing at Kai Tak!

Nihontraveller
5th Jul 2001, 07:22
Woh Herod,

What rattled your cage?

I said nose camera, not cockpit camera.

(Heart-ops? I believe that video cameras are standard procedure for all major surgery.)

Anyway this was not the point of my post as I am sure you know. I have to say though that I didn`t realise that pilots were above being judged by the general "fare-paying" public. Us "mere mortals" deal with that kind of scrutiny every day and still get from "A to B safely" (or whatever else we do). That`s kind of, ummmm, normal.... isn`t it?

Best wishes
Nihontraveller

PS: By all means install a camera where I work but don`t expect to find an image of me sitting at my PC half as interesting as watching an aircraft landing through a nose camera.

The Guvnor
5th Jul 2001, 09:11
bmi british midland have them on their A330s. However, if you're seated in J class, you're not supposed to be watching anything during takeoff and landing - screens are supposed to be stowed way!

Kermit 180
5th Jul 2001, 11:33
You probably wouldnt want a camera view if I was piloting....

Sometimes its best if ya dont know...

Icarus
5th Jul 2001, 14:20
Gulf Air also has them on the A330, viewing is available in all classes.
It is something nice for passengers; a little disconcerting in a damn good cross-wind though!
Pilots - Dont forget, the passenger is watching this from a 'wow, wish I was doing that!' point of view, and even occassionally a 'F**kin Hell that was brilliant!'.
So they are actually in awe of you guys most of the time, please don't belittle it, you are only taking away your own credit.

BigJETS
5th Jul 2001, 20:28
Absolutely Icarus. I think its great that you can look out the front. I wouldnt care much aside from TO and landing though. Thats the best view. Would think it could be shown on the big cabin screens for climb and decent? Herod....Whats your captain thinking?

Ballast
6th Jul 2001, 11:54
Why not print large numbers on the back of the safety cards.....

5.6 5.4 5.7 6.0!

...then have an award for the best landing of the month. (and then we could have little plaques on the cockpit door like McDonalds with pilot of the month)

The Sleeping Pax
10th Jul 2001, 19:16
What's the point of the things! The vast majority of flight I take are red-eye! cannot see a blasted thing anyway!

ExSimGuy
14th Jul 2001, 07:16
Saudia too, on the triple-7s. You can watch the PAPIs going red-white-red-white-red-white, in time with the motors spooling up-down-up-down-up

Switch them off for approach, but all you have to do is to reselect and they're back ;)

Also have a belly-camera on another channel, which you can use when the nose gooes up :)

Like 'em

PAXboy
17th Jul 2001, 16:46
If there had been a belly camera on the Ezy 737 - 300 upon arrival at EDI last night, ... we would could have wtched the landing. Not to mention the bounce as we rose!

I was at a widow seat, as usual, so could see the runway and was not surprised when we bounced, most of the rest of the pax - were, with little squeals from many of them! :eek:

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]