PDA

View Full Version : memory

papajuliet
11th Mar 2010, 22:56
Is it feasible to take memory from an old [6yrs plus ] PC ,which I'm about to dispose of, and put it into the one I'm now using or am I letting myself in for problems? Whilst the current one has plenty of memory it seems a waste to throw something away that might make it better still.

Saab Dastard
11th Mar 2010, 23:07
Are you talking about RAM or hard disk?

Assuming RAM, if the RAM modules are of the right specification and appropriate size, then yes, they can be re-used.

However, there's not a lot of point in adding 128MB to a system with 2GB already installed, especially if the old RAM is slower than the existing - it might even slow the system down.

What you will probably find, however, is that a) the memory from the old PC is not compatible with the new PC and / or b) even if it is, the RAM slots in the new PC are already full - and the old RAM modules are lower capacity.

Best you can hope for is that you have free RAM slots and the old RAM is compatible.

SD

papajuliet
12th Mar 2010, 09:00
Thanks SD - that's appreciated. It is RAM I'm asking about.As my present system has 2GB it looks as though it isn't worthwhile taking memory out of the old PC.
PJ