PDA

View Full Version : Super 8 to DVD Problem/Question

Tosh McCaber
11th Mar 2010, 22:33
I have about 65 old Super 8 reels, complete with projector, which are hauled out every three to five years, to show the vintage results to my children, grandchildren, and ageing mother!

There was no fast forward or rewind on Super 8- once you were started, there was no turning back. Every new reel has to be threaded in , a very sophisticated process! The whole operation is tedious!

I've just given a preliminary trial go at converting one of my many Super 8 reels to DVD, which will make future viewing a lot easier. I'm not looking for super quality- the originals are pretty average, being Super 8.

I placed the screen about 70cm away from the projector lens, which gives an approx 20x150 bright image cast on the screen. I mounted my (several years old, but tried and tested) Sony Digital 8 digital cassette camcorder just below and in front of the projector, focussed on the image.

Results were good, and really quite acceptable, but with a drawback. The problem is that the image from the camcorder played back on TV continuously pulses light and dark- I suspect that it has something to do with the shutter on the projector continuously opening and closing for each image, as they go through. This presumably, interferes with the light metering system in the camcorder.

Would a different camcorder help? I have a friend whom has an HD Panny, which I may try out. However, has any one have any other reasoning behind the problem, or any suggestions?

MG23
12th Mar 2010, 05:21
Part of the problem is that super-8 projectors were typically 18fps (I think), so the screen flickers 18 times a second and your camera records 25fps, meaning that you'll record a flicker on the camera as a result. It's not the auto exposure, because that typically takes at least a second to decide to change, but the varying light levels on each camcorder frame. You may be able to adjust the projector speed to 25fps, but unless it has some kind of crystal sync then it will wander anyway so you'll still get some flickering.

390cruise
12th Mar 2010, 11:29
Hi Tosh

I had the same problem attempting to film on an Airbus Flightdeck (on the ground!!). I used a Sony Camcorder.

The picture was fine but the screens (as seen in the view finder) cycled as you have described.

After some thought I turned off the camcorders 'Image Stablisation function'

straight away the screens stopped going light and dark on the view finder.

The final recording was OK

green granite
12th Mar 2010, 13:23
You'll probably need to use a Lab for good results, someone like these people: Cine Film transfer to DVD, Cine Film Conversion (http://www.videoencoding.biz/html/cine_film.htm?gclid=CNni0Luzs6ACFZUA4wodintISw) @ £20 per 400ft spool.

Or
Cine to DVD, Regular 8 to DVD, Super 8 to DVD, Standard 8 to DVD - Cine to DVD transfer across the UK from Cine2DVDTransfers.co.uk (http://www.cine2dvdtransfers.co.uk/)
@ 6p per foot.

Tosh McCaber
12th Mar 2010, 19:40
Hi, Green,

Have you used both of the Labs? They both have good recommendations from clients, but I can't make up my mind which one is best?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

green granite
12th Mar 2010, 21:10
No I haven't Tosh, and it's been a long, long time since I've used any lab, so past experience is probably no longer valid anyway. But it's probably true to say that most labs produce a good quality product as it's not in their interest not to.