PDA

View Full Version : tough test pilot

jim63
11th Mar 2010, 15:29
I guess seatbelts were next on the to do list.
ixDn8Ak4kz8

MightyGem
11th Mar 2010, 20:07
Possibly Igor Sikorsky??

krypton_john
11th Mar 2010, 20:18
Yep. Lucky for him he was close to the hub where the blades are moving relatively slowly.

Fareastdriver
11th Mar 2010, 20:28
That's an old film, I think it was during the winter of 1944. It's a Bell archive shot during early tie-down trials. I think the pilot was a USAAF test pilot.

Bravo73
11th Mar 2010, 21:23
Definitely early Bell prototype.

Didn't you count the number of blades? That's the granddaddy to the '47, Huey and Jetbanger. ;)

PS The chap being interviewed is Arthur Young.

Tailspin Turtle
11th Mar 2010, 22:59
He was Bell Aircraft's chief test pilot at the time. Bell's small helicopter design and development team was located at an offsite facility in Gardenville, New York at the time. The Bell Model 30 had just been hovered the month before in tethered testing, first by its inventor, Arthur Young (a non-pilot) and then young Floyd Carlson, a Bell test pilot. Stanley tried to fly it in January 1943. As you can see, it is still tethered but not tightly enough. After Stanley's rough introduction to helicopters, he left further helicopter testing to Carlson.

jim63
12th Mar 2010, 00:01
Stanley's rough introduction to helicopters
That's putting it lightly
he left further helicopter testing to Carlson.
Smart man,I would have done the same.Those pilots had to have some nerve to get into those early machines.Someday some unsuspecting person might have to crawl into something like this and see if it works:eek:
http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/helicopter-concept-1.jpg

prehar
12th Mar 2010, 14:21
so what exactly might this be...have'nt seen one like it ...is it a personal vehicle ??

Agaricus bisporus
12th Mar 2010, 14:45
It's some luvvie's idea of a styling exercise. Note the tail rotor tip about an inch from the ground. Other equally useless items on their website seem to be motorcycles with no handlebars and nowhere to sit, and a wheelbarrow with disk brakes. zzz

MightyGem
12th Mar 2010, 20:08
That's an old film,
You don't say. :E