View Full Version : VS to launch LHR-ACC

soups
10th Mar 2010, 17:08
VS is to start flying to ACC.
Initially they will fly A340- on LHR-ACC 3x a week and rumoured to go Daily

Agaricus bisporus
10th Mar 2010, 18:46
VS is to start flying to ACC.

I'm sure this sort of rather smug jargon pleases some people, but it means f*ck all to the rest of us who are not airline-code groupies and infatuees of global ICAO airfield lists.

In plain English please - for the mere humans here?

Dave Clarke Fife
10th Mar 2010, 19:05
I'm sure this sort of rather smug jargon pleases some people, but it means f*ck all to the rest of us who are not airline-code groupies and infatuees of global ICAO airfield lists.

In plain English please - for the mere humans here?

VS..................Virgin Atlantic.............an airline.

ACC................................

Full Airport Name

Accra (Kotoka International Airport)
Address

Airport Road, Accra North, Ghana
Airport Code

ACC

Read more: Accra Airport Guide (ACC) (http://www.worldtravelguide.net/airport/267/airport_guide/Africa/Accra.html#ixzz0hms2Lni1)

Doesn't take long to find this info on line......................or for that matter to type the full name out and save people like you from going apoplectic :hmm:

zerograv
10th Mar 2010, 20:08
LHR - London Heathrow
(European "Major League" destination; that is, essentially, only National carriers and Major companies fly into there)

As mentioned just above, information readly avail on the net with a quick search.

Cheers
Zero

surely not
14th Mar 2010, 16:04
It isn't 'smug jargon' it is the standard working abbreviations that aviation people use.

What p!sses me off is when people invent their own abbreviations for airports as in referring to Los Angeles as LOS.

Still as the complainee has a 'smug' user name only known to Latin Scholars perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised at their reaction.

The Wraith
14th Mar 2010, 18:30
Exactly.....
Mr Tosser, if you are so annoyed by aviation codes/abbreviations...on an aviation forum I might add....why don't you select a name that we "mere humans" understand.
Oh, did I mention the fact you're a tosser?!!:E

Agaricus bisporus
14th Mar 2010, 22:10
I think the post above just exemplifies the immature and infantile attitude of some users of this forum. Some of the others are none too thoughtful either.

If I upset anyone's delicate sensitivities with my plaintive frustration then I apologise, and yes, it could have been looked up too, but why should that be necessary? (perhaps someone had better look up "apoplectic" too, cos it was neither apparent nor present in my post).

fyi this is "surely not" something that most pilots would know as IATA codes are mainly a baggage and ticketing abbreviation that can include rail and bus destinations - and are not in wide spread use in any piloting function that I've ever come across. That's why it's use on a pilot's forum appears smug, and more particularly so in such a throwaway manner re somewhere as far off the beaten track as Accra. Assuming that just because you know IATA codes for every third world backwater destination (or for every airline in the world for that matter) then everyone else must do too is smug.

Sniping at user's handles is really plumbing the depths. Get a life.

Exup
14th Mar 2010, 22:50
Quote:
fyi this is "surely not" something that most pilots would know as IATA codes are mainly a baggage and ticketing abbreviation that can include rail and bus destinations - and are not in wide spread use in any piloting function that I've ever come across.

Not to sure where youve worked but I think all commercial pilots, Ops staff, engineers have an undestanding of the codes that effect the compant they work for . it generally helps to give you an idea of where the hell you are going.

surely not
15th Mar 2010, 03:49
Whilst I know the IATA codes very well, I also know my way around the ICAO codes even though I am not a skygod.

Great news for Accra re the VS service. Accra has been trying to attract VS for many years and it is good that they have succeeded at last. Some excellent people in Accra for them to recruit their airport and country team from.

NaijaNinja
24th Mar 2010, 11:11
What does the following mean?

1. ''We operated to LGW with budget pax and were usualy around 90% full''
2. ''BA flying to LHR''
3. ''IATA''
4. ''ICAO''
5. UK (isn't that where you are presently located?)
6. LOS (let me answer this for you and those who don't know, LOS is Lagos, Nigeria and the wrongly assumed Los Angeles is actually LAX)

If you don't know the answers to these questions, scram off this forum and in your words ''Get a life.''

Plus it makes me think you've never flown out of your small box where ever it is.

Spadhampton
24th Mar 2010, 11:25
Must be a new reason to go to Ghana.

What is it?

Phantom Driver
24th Mar 2010, 17:09
Must be a new reason to go to Ghana.
What is it?

"night life"/parties used to take place in the afternoons; good time had by all, and by 9pm all nicely tucked up in bed.:ok:.

Not sure if this is the case these days.

Spadhampton
25th Mar 2010, 03:23
Thanks.....got it.....I think.

Another party I didn't know about?

Bingo....going home.:uhoh: