PDA

View Full Version : Flybe Part Sponsored/Mentored Programme PTCi

akash3553
10th Mar 2010, 14:14
Just Wondering If Anyone Has Applied, Or Applying?

BOZR_DOUGIE
20th Mar 2010, 15:19
I am looking into it, I guess Flybe is a fairly safe airline to apply for . I am not 100% sure what they are offering thougth, all the info I am looking for is a bit vague to be honsest . Its not like the Cathay Pacific one which I applied for (got interview but was basically told I was too young :-S ) they had everythng about it . All I can find its that it uses PTC which is based in Waterford Ireland and they have a different level of sponsership, part where we still to have to cough up some form of money, or "mentored" which I believe is where you have to pay EVERYTHING but with some form of placement with Flybe at the end of it. Apart from that I cant find out that much else ...... I am not 100% sure if I want to apply for it.

StandardToaster
20th Mar 2010, 15:21
You're 19 y.o. and too young?

BOZR_DOUGIE
20th Mar 2010, 15:25
Last year :-) The other candidates were both in their 20's . Anyways I may have had problems taking it up, got some stuff in Scotland that I cant really disappear to the other end of the world over.

copywrite33
22nd Mar 2010, 19:28
Just had a very long conversation with the Training Advisor for PTC.

They are offering 4 part sponsored places with a loan of £19800 and 2 mentored places with a £5000 grant from Flybe. All 6 places are given a job with Flybe at the end which you have to stay with for 3 years. Pretty much the same as the MPL scheme offerd by FTE/Flybe except your getting a CPL out of it.

The total training is £77000 all inclusive (accom, flights to US etc).

Am having my assessment day with them at the end of April, can anyone give me some tips for things to train up on for PilAPT?

Best

Faulkenroy
23rd Mar 2010, 00:13
The Assesment day is pretty straight forward, not a whole lot you can prepare for, especially the dynamic attention and static attention parts etc.

The only part you will benefit from studying will be the mathematics.....no calculators are allowed.

The Simulator Lasts about 30 minutes and basically is to see if you have the ability to be taught.

The Interview however is a different story, make sure you have a good background knowledge and don't answer questions like "What do Pilots do?" with "Errrrm......fly the plane!"

greyb33
24th Mar 2010, 10:15
Does anyone know how much the assessment is and if you have to pay?
Thanks

LessThanSte
24th Mar 2010, 17:10
About £300, if i remember correctly. You will have to pay it!

copywrite33
25th Mar 2010, 16:16
I paid £149 for the assessment day in April. The reason they give is so that only serious people are interested.

Not sure if i will have to pay for the Flight Sim test though, any thoughts?

Aerouk
25th Mar 2010, 20:20
I paid £149 for the assessment day in April. The reason they give is so that only serious people are interested.

You didn't honestly believe that did you? Perhaps the RAF/RN/Army should start doing that :ugh:

copywrite33
25th Mar 2010, 21:57
You didn't honestly believe that did you? Perhaps the RAF/RN/Army should start doing that :ugh:

No i didn't believe that, hence why i said the reason they give.

They have to make there money they are a business after all so it has to be made somewhere.

Groundloop
28th Mar 2010, 10:31
especially if you know that you're going to have a job at the end of training,

Eh no, you HOPE you will have a job at the end of training. The job is not guaranteed. If Flybe don't need you when you finish there is no job.

In all likelihood, with Flybe's record, they will need you - but... !

copywrite33
28th Mar 2010, 10:54
No you are offered a future contract of employment before training...i am sure there will be a get out clause for them but equally they are lending you 20 grand over a 4.5 year period so i can't see them not wanting you.

If they don't need anymore FO's come 2012 when the people on this course graduate i would imagine they will be put into the pool and will get first shout at any job openings.

Flybe have to get their investment back.

Groundloop
29th Mar 2010, 09:34
i am sure there will be a get out clause for them

Exactly, there is a get out clause. Therefore the job is not 100% guaranteed. Cadets would very likely get taken on by Flybe at some time but there is always the possibility... ! Just MUST consider the consequences of this happening - however unlikely.

copywrite33
29th Mar 2010, 10:28
Point taken.

In those circumstances what would happen to the £20000 loan that you are supposed to repay from your wages, would they allow you time to find a job? Has this happened to any Cadets/Sponsered Students?

Fly-Boi - Did you receive the information pack with some mock questions in it? Im in the same boat as you as not really sure what to expect but will be studying hard on all aspects covered in those tests.

bazzab68
29th Mar 2010, 12:33
Have done the assesment and it's not easy.. Attended one in the uk and have been offered a place on the intergrated course at the ptc. However as regards flybe not really sure where I now stand as only a small percentage are taken forward for this. Have now been left to decide my future and am really struggling to come to a conclusion as I don't have the 60k lying around!

Pilot wannabe

pilotbob2120
29th Mar 2010, 13:31
Hey Guys,

I was at an assesment day last week. The pilapt has stuff on which i really didn't expect but anyway i done really well and have been offered all the courses that PTC offer and my file will be going forward for flybe selection. The flybe program has very tight grades which must be met every few months others wise they will kick you off the course which is also very tense with only a few days of a month which really have to be used for study.

Best advice would be to just be yourself, relax and enjoy the day.

Good Luck may see you on a course very soon ! :)

copywrite33
29th Mar 2010, 15:21
The pilapt has stuff on which i really didn't expect

Any clues as to what this might be?

pilotbob2120
29th Mar 2010, 19:08
All sorts of maths and physics questions. The practice which they send is good but like i say its all types of maths and physics

copywrite33
30th Mar 2010, 00:04
Thats great.

Thanks Bob :ok:

ollywood
27th Apr 2010, 17:10
Alrite Guys,

Does anyone happen to know what other training organisation FlyBe currently use for the sponsorship? On the website it says cabair, CTC, PTC and Oxford but the only one with any information on their own website is PTC. I passed the Oxford assessment a month or two ago and was just wondering if it would possible to do it there?
Cheers
Ol

akash3553
27th Apr 2010, 21:14
Hi,

Flybe Use All Those Organisations You've Stated, At The Moment PTC Are Running The Flybe Scheme.

You Cant Really Say When They Will Run A Scheme Next And With Which Flight Training Organisation.

In Decemeber They Ran A Scheme With FTE, And Now They've Just Extended There Scheme At PTC Until 28th May.

Normally Flybe Runs A Scheme At Oxford Around About This Time Near June/July. But Again You Cant Really Say For Sure As Its Up To The Airline. For Example They Might Run A Scheme In Two Months Or Prehaps 10 Months.

Just Keep A Look Out At The Flybe Website And OAA.

Hope It Helps.

ollywood
28th Apr 2010, 17:14
Thanks for that,
Will definitely keep eyes peeled for that. Does anybody know the T&Cs for the scheme, the value of sponsorship and what happens at the end? As there arent really many specific details on either website.
Much appreciated
Ol

Callsign Kilo
28th Apr 2010, 18:59
Go to OAA. The majority of trainees are called Olly or James. Don't know why, but it is a little known fact. You will fit right in sir :ok:

copywrite33
28th Apr 2010, 21:56
Im an Oli and i would never go to OAA!

T and Cs are a £19800 "sponsorship" which is basically an interest free loan repaid over 5 years of employment. Course is approximately £70000. You must be able to prove funding for the whole course not just the 50 grand difference. You are given a conditional offer of employment before starting the course but the standards are very very high by all accounts (ie all grades must be kept above 90%).

Poeli
30th Apr 2010, 16:42
I've got a question on this one, do I have a chance as a Belgian to succeed in the tests? They always say who doesn't try doesn't win:cool:

copywrite33
1st May 2010, 20:32
Best to give them a call and speak to them, I cant seem to find the link on their website but AFAIK one of the requirements was the right to work in the EU which i assume as a Belgian you are.

Julia was very helpful when i rang up.

ap_797
2nd May 2010, 07:40
With the requirements being so high, i.e. 90% + in all exams, do they also expect you to pass the IR first time or is a first series pass sufficient?

Poeli
2nd May 2010, 08:16
ok thanks will do!

Channex101
5th May 2010, 15:04
Ive just been offered an assessment day in June.
I am seriously thinking about going but I don't think I know enough about the Flybe/PTC relationship.
Its never been made clear to me that you WILL be working for Flybe in the end. I mean, how does it work? Do you train, then apply to Flybe and just have an advantage for using PTC, or is Flybe involved from the beginning?

Has anyone on here done this before? I'm just a bit cautious about paying £150 for a skills assessment when I don't know enough, so just trying to get a bit of info together before I commit.

Poeli
5th May 2010, 16:03
I thought you had to undergo an interview with flybe personel from the beginning on...

CoCo24
5th May 2010, 16:11
Hi channex,
This is my understanding:
-If you meet the requirements for the integrated course after the assesment day you are eligible to be put forward by PTC as a possible candidtate for Flybe sponsorship. At this stage you are not guaranteed an interview, just the chance to be interviewed by flybe if they select you.
-Flybe will be offering six PTC students sponsorship, four of these students will recieve a bonded loan of 20k to be paid back over three years from your salary interest free, the other two students will have their JOC paid for which is worth around 4k.
-succesful completion of the course (with 94% passrate throughout) results in a conditional offer of employment with flybe and you may be placed in the hold pool for some time before you get to start. PTC say 6 months!

Hope this helps,
cc

Channex101
5th May 2010, 17:02
I think I'll wait then.
£149 for an interview when at the end of the day only 6 applicants will be chosen by Flybe is odds I dont like lol

Think I'll just hang on

CoCo24
5th May 2010, 17:25
I didn't mean to put you off, it is quite vague and took me a while to figure out exactly what was involved but it's still a pretty good offer! your type rating would be payed for etc and at least you have a good chance of employment when you finish

copywrite33
5th May 2010, 18:34
Just to chip in:

you are eligible to be put forward by PTC as a possible candidtate for Flybe sponsorship.

This isnt 100% true.

They will only put you through if they think you have a good chance, out of the 5 people on my assessment day 1 was offered a modular course and 4 were offered the integrated course of which only 2 got through to the next round of Flybe, so just being offered a place on the integrated course doesn't make you eligible for it.

They said out of all the candidates put through they would then whittle it down to 80 to offer a 2nd round interview and flight sim test with and from there it would be whittled down to 18 for the final interviews with Flybe personnel.

Your assessment day is just with PTC with no Flybe staff around although one of the assistants for the day had gone through this scheme and was in hold pool atm.

Channex - Most if not every school will charge you a fee for the assessment day so if i were you and you want to be a pilot then go for it as you might get through...if you don't try, you don't get to use a cliche!

CoCo24
5th May 2010, 19:22
thanks for clearing that up copywright thats the first i heard about 2nd round interviews and flightsim!

Stu_88
6th May 2010, 19:33
I have recently completed the assessment day with PTC at LHR and it is a tough day. Remember people you are NOT applying to Flybe, you are applying to PTC, they decide whether or not to put you on the integrated scheme with Flybe which, just for the record, is a very challenging course.

Also, anyone who already holds a JAA Class 1 medical, it isn't worth the paperits writte on for them as you have to complee an Irish medical exam as PTC are an irish based company. They offer a range of courses stretching from (roughly) £65k - £80k give or take.

Just some info for any of you looking to apply. Oh, and read through the assessment practice pack they give you.

Cheers

Stu

DRP
25th May 2010, 09:04
Here's my two cents...

An old friend of mine went down the FTE route, remortgaged his Mum and Dads house to the tune of £80k, promised a job with Flybe once his Course was completed...

Needless to say Flybe have given him a job....

As a trolly dolly.

FL370 Officeboy
25th May 2010, 09:43
Here's my two cents...

An old friend of mine went down the FTE route, remortgaged his Mum and Dads house to the tune of £80k, promised a job with Flybe once his Course was completed...

Needless to say Flybe have given him a job....

As a trolly dolly.

Thank you for your two cents. Your mate will get his job in the RHS when a place becomes available. Lots of the guys who started as CC have already started and finished their type ratings so a bit more patience will get him there in the end. In the meantime, at least the company are giving him a job and income which a lot of people out in the real world are struggling to achieve.

G SXTY
28th May 2010, 07:37
Promised him a flying job? With a start date? I sincerely doubt that – they wouldn't be that daft. And no-one should be daft enough to believe that anything is guaranteed in the world of flight training. Cadet pilot numbers are based on projected requirements for 18 months to 2 years down the road – meanwhile airline commercial departments struggle to predict what the economy will look like in 6 months time. You really think anyone is 'promised' a job?

I may well know your mate, as I've flown with a fair few ex FTE cabin crew. Without exception they are positive, enthusiastic and a credit to the company. How they feel walking up the steps and turning right is anyone's guess, but they all seem to appreciate the fact that they have a job, and are at least inside the company, waiting their turn. As FL370 says, some of them are already in the right hand seat. I know other fATPLs with no previous connection to the company who have applied for - and been given - cabin crew jobs. Fair play to them.

In the current job market it's as good a way into an airline as any, and it's foolish to be so dismissive about the idea of pushing a trolley.

Finals19
11th Jun 2010, 07:10
Does anyone have a realistic idea as to how many hold pools there are? PTC, FTE, non sponsored? I am also in one of the pools (non sponsored) and have been so for quite some time (more than a year)

Just trying to project the ongoing wait......:(