PDA

View Full Version : 4k Sectors don't seem to promise huge advantage.

Loose rivets
10th Mar 2010, 04:13
Is there something I'm missing here, going from 512 to 4k I would have thought would be a major improvement, but 12% speed was mentioned. Capacity I'm not clear about, but the waste saving seemingly will be partly negated by better error correction.

txdmy1
10th Mar 2010, 17:40
it means swap page sizes on modern pcs (W7) can be increased, improving speed. The current bottleneck is this, not cpu with the advent of quad core etc. Speed becomes disc & data transfer bound rather than cpu bound at the mo, means we will be able to do more faster when it is somewhat relieved byt this change. Happened on mainframes years ago, so just following in their footsteps. NB this pc has more proceesing power than the first mainframe I worked on ;)

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Mar 2010, 19:19
it means swap page sizes on modern pcs (W7) can be increased
You have to be really really desperate to do any swapping. Personally I'd rather spend the money on more RAM than on fancy disks, for a speed improvement of a couple of orders of magnitude.
NB this pc has more proceesing power than the first mainframe I worked on
I rather expect that my phone has more processing power than the first mainframe I worked on. (My watch probably hasn't.)

Simonta
10th Mar 2010, 19:30
LR. Sorry,confused.

512 bytes is the NTFS sector size. 4Kbs is the standard cluster size. Have you changed the cluster size via disk manager?

For general purpose use, 4K is optimal. You only really see definite performance improvements above this is you do a lot of large file handling.

Yes, the larger the cluster, the more "slack" you have on your disk as every file is padded out to a full cluster size multiple but I don't see the link with error correction?

Saab Dastard
10th Mar 2010, 19:41
Simonta,

We're talking here about the transition from a default sector size of 512 bytes to 4KB - see here:

AnandTech: Western Digital?s Advanced Format: The 4K Sector Transition Begins (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3691)

SD

MG23
11th Mar 2010, 02:30
I'm actually surprised that you see any performance improvement: I believe the current 4k sector drives actually lie and claim to be 512-byte sector drives, so I'd expect performance to be worse if you aren't writing big files (writing 512 bytes means the disk has to read 4k then update those 512 bytes and then write 4k back to the disk).

Yes, the larger the cluster, the more "slack" you have on your disk as every file is padded out to a full cluster size multiple but I don't see the link with error correction?

I'm not entirely sure of the mechanism myself, but apparently 4k sectors can provide better error correction with less overhead, so you can fit more useful data on the disk in space that would previously have been used for error correction bits.

Basil
11th Mar 2010, 06:51
I rather expect that my phone has more processing power than the first mainframe I worked on. (My watch probably hasn't.)
When I was doing quality control on the IBM keyboard line it was the Sysem 360 with ferrite doughnut RAM and I wouldn't doubt that your watch has - even if it's clockwork :}

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Mar 2010, 13:26
When I was doing quality control on the IBM keyboard line it was the Sysem 360 with ferrite doughnut RAM and I wouldn't doubt that your watch has - even if it's clockwork
370/165 - think that just beats my watch!

txdmy1
11th Mar 2010, 17:07
not that I need the home processing power to play games & surf, it's just the anti stuff scans take less than a handfull of minutes rather than hours ;)