PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Clearance via Datalink

givmi
9th Mar 2010, 20:14
Got another question folks...I have never used datalink for requesting an oceanic clearance. However I would like to try it on my next NAT crossing. Ok here comes the question: Is it still so that you have to do a voice datalink readback (according to Gander / Shanwick Oceanic - IVAO (http://occ.ivao.ca/pilots#clr) ) or is it nowadays enough if you confirm by sending an acceptance via datalink?

You guys have been very helpful so far Thanks!

specialbrew
9th Mar 2010, 20:22
Used to be just a case of "accepting" it via datalink but I did notice yesterday that the end of the datalink clearance said that it had to be "confirmed and read back by voice".

smallfry
9th Mar 2010, 21:09
Basically, (unless it has changed), you acknowledge the clearance on the box, then you inform Shanwick on VHF you have received it.
If you have CPCLD or ADS and are authorised to use it, you can then log on and if they accept you when you call for your SELCAL check they will confirm they are receiving your data and no further voice reports necessary. You will just maintain SELCAL watch until changing to the next frequency mid atlantic, 30W or if further south, 40W. Otherwise you will make standard position reports on HF at the relevant points.
It makes life much easier, but you still need to ensure you are making the normal plots and gross error checks... it doesn't stop you doing the wrong thing!

Air Driven Generator
9th Mar 2010, 23:54
I agree with smallfry, you get your clearance via datalink and confirm to either Shanwick or Gander that you have recieved your clearance.
If you are not CPDLC equipped then normal VHF/HF position reports should be made. Sorry to repeat what smallfry has already confirmed.

See attached link.

http://www.nat-pco.org/nat/CurrentOCD.pdf

givmi
10th Mar 2010, 07:37
Thanks guys for your help!

According to ADG'S link (see below) you only have to contact Delivery via VOICE if you DO NOT receive this message in your box: CLA RECEIVED CLEARANCE CONFIRMED END OF MESSAGE

....meaning in most of the cases if you are equipped with a box which can send a CLA you woud not have to call Gander/Shanwick on VOICE

...We us the Collins FMS 5000, which asks you if you want to accept the clearance after receipt. If you push it, will it send this CLA? (meaning ACCEPT= CLA)

7.1 When the data link oceanic clearance is received, flights equipped to send a Clearance Acknowledgment (CLA) should do so. Flights not equipped to send a CLA must verify the data link oceanic clearance via voice in accordance with paragraphs 7.4 and 7.5.
7.2 The following message indicates that the data link oceanic clearance process is complete and no further action is required by the crew to acknowledge or verify the oceanic clearance:
CLA RECEIVED CLEARANCE CONFIRMED END OF MESSAGE
If this message is not received within 5 minutes of sending the CLA, then the data link oceanic clearance must be verified via voice in accordance with paragraphs 7.4 and 7.5