PDA

View Full Version : CPL ????

Nightriderzack
9th Mar 2010, 16:04
:ok:Dear Sir / Maam

This is Zack from Singapore. I want to do CPL. Which country is best.

what is the cost ? Can anyone advise me on this ....I m Looking forward for reply..

Thank You

kkeymish
9th Mar 2010, 16:17
for you (living in s'pore), Aus. would probably be the best bet...

Nightriderzack
9th Mar 2010, 17:18
Any recommend schools in AUS sir?

thornycactus
9th Mar 2010, 21:11
I want to do CPL. Which country is best.

Very hard to answer you. Individual country flying/training standard claims they are the best.

If you were to train in Malaysia, the Malaysians always said they are the best. Now, the people who trained in Australia condemn other country's flying standard.

So, which country is the best? You have to judge yourself.

Can anyone advise me on this ....I m Looking forward for reply.
In terms of flying cost, licensing and etc., Canada and United States worth to consider.

I have met one in Vancouver B.C., and two from United States. They are young Singaporeans (holding red passport). One of the Singaporeans is a flying instructor. I kept the contacts of all of them.

If you really decided where you wanted to go, post your intention here. Also, do your research and planning well.

training wheels
9th Mar 2010, 23:46
Any recommend schools in AUS sir?

Yes, I can recommend Aus. The weather (even in Melbourne) is good for flying, a lot of unrestricted class G airspace and a very professional ATC when you need to use them in class C. Depending on where you choose to train, some aircraft however can be as old as your mum and dad, but on the whole, the quality of their maintenance is top notch.

But some students from Singapore prefer to go to Malaysian schools becuase, from what I've heard, it's a lot easier to convert a Malaysian CPL/IR and fATPL to the CAAS equivalent. This is a big consideration as well since you won't want to do a conversion (ie further training) once you complete the course.

Good luck in which ever way you choose. BTW, there are some new flying schools in Indonesia just opening up and accepting International students. PM me for further details. :)

Nightriderzack
10th Mar 2010, 04:17
Thanks for the reply... I'm don't mind the location as long Singapore CAAS can recognized , it's hard survey and trust the schools , i knew you the experience people out there , if can advise me........ i really appreciate you replys ...

Thank you

Nightriderzack
11th Mar 2010, 04:22
Is there anyone out there can advise me?

naughtyjay
11th Mar 2010, 05:02
traing for CPL is very good in Canada, USA and australia.....
but Australia hs seen a major intrusion of Indians for the same which has lead to degradation of quality and training...(for the fact to squeeze more students n earn) same goes with canada and USA.
This has resulted in several if not hundreds of school to close down.

For the better of quality and JOB prospective, European countries are best which issue a JAA License.
If u want to avoid europe, get ur training done at UAE or gulf country which also will give u a better job prospective.
all the best
happy landings !!!

tmbpilot
11th Mar 2010, 19:20
i'd say U.S is still the best place to get your flight training done.....the cost is low,they have big schools with very experienced instructors..it has the busiest airspace in the world,its much faster in the states than any other place like australia,ull have to clear 12 papers in australia which takes time,while in the u.s its like 3 papers,no crappy regulations like in other countries......:ok:

shanx
11th Mar 2010, 19:57
@Nightriderzack (http://www.pprune.org/members/323049-nightriderzack)

Since you're from Malaysia, you're better off getting your CPL from any JAA nation or a country which follows a pattern similar to the UK CAA .. like Malaysia and some of the Middle Eastern countries.
Training in the US might be a bit cheaper compared to schools in Europe or Middle East, however subsequent conversion of your FAA licence to a Singaporean licence would be dicey (as told by many friends).

Regarding "quality" and job prospects ..
while a JAA licence is considered as "respectable" (apparently due to the phenomenal effort to pass 14 papers) compared to "quick, easy and dirty" licences and ratings from the USA, understand that in order to be considered a worthy candidate for applying to any small regional airline in Europe or Middle East, you need to pass all 14 JAA ATPL papers (frozen ATPL), in addition to possessing citizenship or the right to work in those countries.

As far as looking for work in India goes, it does not matter whether you got your Indian CPL by training in India or have got your American/Canadian/Australian licences converted to an Indian one.

thornycactus
13th Mar 2010, 14:38
traing for CPL is very good in Canada, USA and australia.....but Australia hs seen a major intrusion of Indians for the same which has lead to degradation of quality and training...

Agree with naughtyjay, Australian flying schools are flooded with Indians!

Since you're from Malaysia, you're better off getting your CPL from any JAA nation
He is from Singapore, not Malaysia.
See his first post.
This is Zack from Singapore. I want to do CPL.
to "quick, easy and dirty" licences and ratings from the USA
Watch what you said.
Many major airlines cadets are trained in United States.

shanx
13th Mar 2010, 14:44
@thornycactus

err .. That was meant to be sarcastic ! :) .. hence the quotes ...

You must have already seen several "FAA vs JAA" etc threads being beaten to death on several pilot forums.

thornycactus
16th Mar 2010, 02:30
compared to "quick, easy and dirty" licences and ratings from the USA
That was meant to be sarcastic
The FAA standard is tough. The theory test is one obstacle and to supplement further, the oral examination is extremely tough and it last for "long-long" hours.

Testee must really know the stuff very well.

autobrakes3
16th Mar 2010, 04:39
@Nightriderzack,

The question is what do you intend to after getting a CPL? Joining SQ or the regional carriers? Heres a few scenarios for you:

If you are joining SQ, i say dont waste yr money to get a CPL as you will ultimately have to go through most of the cadet pilot program should you get accepted. Having a CPL doesn't give you an advantage in the selection process. A lot of CPL holders don't make it through the interviews anyway.

If you want to fly for Tiger etc, you might want to consider going to Singapore Flying College. You will get a SG CPL at the end of the course and that will save you the trouble of converting your license. I have to warn you though, they do charge an arm and a leg compared to many places.

If the quality of training does not matter to you, just find the cheapest flying school in the world to get yr CPL. Perhaps one of the small aeroclubs in Australia or New Zealand would do just fine. CAAS had recently changed their regulations to convert all foreign CPLs but you must first be hired by a local carrier. Having said that, you might still have to do a couple of papers like air law and performance before the conversion happens.

I recommend that you try out for SQ first before jumping too quickly on the self-sponsored-cpl-bandwagon. If you get rejected, then consider your other options if you are still keen on aviation.

But if you are bent on getting a CPL first, i would recommend you pick scenario 3. :ok:Lowest investment, equal chances in getting a job in SG. Outside of this little red dot, that would be a different matter.

XanaduX
16th Mar 2010, 05:26
The FAA standard is tough. The theory test is one obstacle and to supplement further, the oral examination is extremely tough and it last for "long-long" hours.

Testee must really know the stuff very well.

I've done both the FAA and CASA and FAA is a walk in the park compared with the CASA license. CASA also has an oral component in the form of KDRs. Questions that you didn't get correct in your CPL/ATPL/IREX theory exams can be re-examined by the testing officer when you're doing your flight test. And when it's time for your Mutli-engine command instrument rating flight test, the testing officer will orally test you on the rules and regulations of IFR flying, on top of the KDRs. This sometimes takes 2 to 3 hours, even before you get in to the aircraft.

Nightriderzack
18th Mar 2010, 01:27
Thanks Guys ..............Really appreciate your replys ..... My current work contract ending on this Oct and i left with 7 months to choose the rite school and i really don want to waste my $.. If possible can recommend schools in US? My budget around US $ 35, 000...

Thank You

Nightriderzack
18th Mar 2010, 07:42
I'm looking forward for reply from u guys........

smiling monkey
18th Mar 2010, 08:46
My budget around US $ 35, 000

It's been a while since I did my training but don't think that's enough if you're including the multi-engine IR with it. And since you're probably not going to be able to work in the US (unless you have a green card or whatever), you'll also need to budget for a conversion to a licensing authority in a country where you are able to find work. Just my 2 cents worth..

Nightriderzack
27th Mar 2010, 04:08
hmmmmmm.........

Nightriderzack
27th Mar 2010, 04:10
How about Malaysia flying schools?

tian yu
4th Apr 2010, 14:09
USD 35k wont be enough in Malaysia as well. Its about RM 250k in Malaysian Flying Academy (MFA) and yeah . . . the only place you'll get CPL/IR flight training is in the Philippines.

But . . . I would SERIOUSLY discourage you from doing so . . . for obvious reasons :ok: