PDA

View Full Version : Wire detection

Vertical Freedom
9th Mar 2010, 13:17
Anyone know which HT wire detection system is best for low level survey work, best place to buy & approx cost please? Will need 4 sets (maybe 5) for work in India.
Thanks
VF

EN48
10th Mar 2010, 11:24
"Anyone know which HT wire detection system is best "

Cant answer this question but have a related issue: it is my understanding that some of these systems work by detecting an electric or magnetic field resulting from current flowing in power transmission (HT?) wires. If so, this would not seem to provide protection from transmission lines which are not in use, or from wires which are not transmission lines (guy wires, etc). Any clarification of this welcome.

2bart
10th Mar 2010, 19:02
laser system produced by EADS.com gives a visual and audio prompt for cables down to 4mm.
German border Guards have them on 135's, heard some BK's fitted.

Also
Audio system fitted to warn against energised cables somewhere in the warning field radius, US produced.

Ian Corrigible
10th Mar 2010, 19:51
Interesting thread. One of the smaller OEMs recently raised a few eyebrows by suggesting that passive (as opposed to laser) wire detection systems were a better solution than cutters. The obvious downside pointed out by EN48 is the first problem; the second is that, with a max usable detection range of 500 ft, you only get two seconds warning, which is not much (esp. in low-viz conditions).

I'd maybe take both systems together, but I wouldn't want to give up my WSPS.

Vertical Freedom - The best-known passive system is probably Safe Flight's PDS. The EADS HELLAS, Elbit SWORD and Selex LOAM systems would offer better detection, but are unlikely to be affordable for survey work in their current forms.

I/C

Shawn Coyle
11th Mar 2010, 11:45
I think Amphitech still has a system that appeared to be quite good when I saw it 5 years ago. Not sure of the commercial availability.