PDA

View Full Version : New GI Bill...?

iceburger
9th Mar 2010, 08:11
I've searched the forums, but I haven't found the info I'm looking for and hopefully you fine folks can shed some light on this issue :)

I'm currently in the military (non-aviator) and will be ending my service in a little over a year and I am highly motivated to become a commercial helicopter pilot. I understand that under the previous GI bill, that it would cover 60% of the training (minus the personal license) however, since congress has recently passed the new and improved GI bill, I'm wondering if anyone has information concerning the application it has for schools now.

My problem is this, the new GI bill will cover all tuition, up to the most expensive public college in the state AND cover living expenses as long as the school is an accredited institution of higher learning...meaning that they have programs would award a degree. Many of the schools I have looked at, do not meet these requirements under the new bill. I know there are schools out there that do, but after looking at the curriculum of these schools, the only ones that I have found offer the bare minimum of flight training such as the personal pilot license, commercial pilot license and instrument rating. I'm looking for a school that has a fairly comprehensive program that meets the requirements of the new GI bill.

Any help or info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

yourfavoriteweapon
10th Mar 2010, 00:18
I'm in the same boat as you are. I found one school so far that works with Guidance Helicopters in Prescott, AZ. They work hand in hand with Yavapai Community college and it gets you an Associates in Applied Science - Helicopter pilot. It looks as though everything is paid for. The reason I am leaning towards them is the fact they offer high altitude training...heard its better to learn that first thing and flying in other environments will come easy. There is another school in colorado that offers the same "100% paid" program but I can't remember the name.
http://www.guidancehelicopters.com/veteran.html

What bothered you about the cirriculum's that you saw at the other schools?

And a question for current pilots here...should I keep looking for other high altitude training schools...or is it not a big deal. I know there are some places in california that have the full GI Bill benefits but I passed over them due to the lack of altitude training,

iceburger
10th Mar 2010, 12:08
Nothing bothered me about the curriculum of the few schools that I found really, relative to other schools the actual flight training seems a bit light, they all had what you need to get started (basically the bare minimum hours under the FAA guidelines) but obviously that will not make you viable in the job market, where as other schools had a more thorough curriculum such as certified flight instrument instructor cert, and external load cert, and high altitude training. All of these are certifications that I'd like to get, and they also help you acquire hours.

I've found a few schools that look to be good under the new GI bill, I'll give you some links later.

Flugplatz
10th Mar 2010, 13:23
I would recommend Chesapeake Bay Helicopters in Norfolk Virginia who deal a lot with military personnel leaving the Service and who want to train as helo pilots. CBH is a part-141 school which means the US Government will do the existing 'GI Loan' payments (can't remember what they are called). I used to work for CBH and they do a pretty good job; there were always (in fact most) students there from the nearby US Navy/Marines; it was a fun atmosphere.
Give them a call, website:Helicopter Flight School and External Load Services VA | CBHELOS (http://www.cbhelos.com)

Flug

TwinHueyMan
11th Mar 2010, 16:05
I'm in somewhat the same boat, and while I didn't look into it TOO much, I do seem to remember hearing there is a cap on your monthly allowances. BAH is paid to you based on where you are just as if you were stationed in the area as a recruiter, then tuition is capped at a certain amount depending on how many classes you are enrolled. You won't see the 7-8k / month that is required to do full time pilot training. The way it was explained to me, you'll be looking at 10x the time to complete the training if you do it based on the $1500 or so montly cap the GI bill offers, plus you'll have to do college to get the money (and who the hell needs college ;).

I paid for my PPL and did the 60% reimbursement for the rest. It's the only real way to get the GI bill to help you without screwing you over. I saved money religiously during deployments and it worked out fantastically. And believe me, I'll be getting every add-on I can find for the next few years, at the low low discounted price of 60% off.

Also keep an eye out for "Avotec" which is a program that ran last year on a trial basis and may get done up again this year. It's $4500 free through Tuition Assistance to go after an "Aviation Vocational / Technical School". Only catch is, whatever rating/license you say you're using the money with, you have to have it completed within 18 months or they want their $4500 back. I know quite a few people who used that money to start their training. Check yer Ed Center.

-Mike

manfromuncle
11th Mar 2010, 17:46
I would contact Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick, MD. Ask to speak to Neil Lanning, the owner.

iceburger
12th Mar 2010, 00:17
Yourfavoriteweapon,
Here are the links to the schools that I have found so far that look to be ok under the new GI Bill. I haven't spoken to an education advisor yet, its kinda hard because I'm in Iraq and there isn't one on my FOB, but when I do I'll let you know what he says about these programs.

www.northeasthelicopters.com
COS Aviation > Home (http://www.cosaviation.org)
Palm Beach State College (http://www.palmbeachstate.edu)

I don't know how much the new GI bill will cover for these schools, but according to what I've read, they will cover up to the most expensive state school in the state. For Florida, that is 62,000 per year. Which is why Palm Beach State Uni. is where I'm looking at currently. I'll keep you posted.

Fly2Live
10th Apr 2010, 20:46
Here is a list I have compiled of good options familiar with Post 9/11 GI Bill:

Central Oregon Community College - Bend, OR
Big Bend Community College - Moses Lake, WA
Salt Lake Community College - Salt Lake City, UT
Palm Beach State College - Lake Worth, FL
Embry Riddle - Prescott, AZ, Daytona Beach, FL
University of North Dakota - Grand Forks, ND
North West College of Aviation - Seattle, WA
Yavapai College - Prescott, AZ
Middle Tennessee State University - Murfreesboro, TN