PDA

View Full Version : Any luck jumpseating on Kulula?

Aviacentre
8th Mar 2010, 20:06
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had any luck getting the flightdeck jumpseat on a Kulula flight as a non-crew member?

Yes, I know that it is likely against the carrier's policy and not allowed by the South African Civil Aviation Authority, but I have heard extensively that African carriers (although Kulula is a subsidiary of BA) that the rules are fairly relaxed.

I am a licensed Private Pilot in the U.S. with a paid ticket on Kulula from CPT-JNB towards the end of the month. I know that it doesn't hurt to ask, but I was just wondering if anybody else has experience with jumpseating on Kulula. Please let me know!

767200ER
9th Mar 2010, 02:45
You can usually visit the flightdeck of any airline anytime you are on the ground and the cabin door is open. i.e passengers boarding or deplaning. Just ask the cabin crew when you board if it would be possible to have a chat with the crew. I've never been turned away.

Riding jumpseat however is a totally different matter. :)

generaalkassie
9th Mar 2010, 06:59
:ok:introduce yourself to the flightcrew, dont ask silly questions, state that you have a interest in flying, and you might even get offered the jumpseat, kulula crew very nice.

Aviacentre
9th Mar 2010, 19:03
Sorry everyone...turns out I'm actually flying Comair, and NOT Kulula. Does that hurt my chances at all? Thanks again for your insight.

beckers
10th Mar 2010, 14:32
Comair is the parent company that owns the Kulula and BA (Southern Africa) franchises. So BA/Kulula/Comair is the same company same cockpit crew.:ok:

Shrike200
11th Mar 2010, 17:42
...and it makes your chances worse, since the BA franchise rules are audited by BA mainline, and they will NOT let you jumpseat without pre-arranged permission.

CptJonM-H
11th Mar 2010, 19:29
I was close to getting to ride jumpseat on a Kulula flight back to Cape Town from Lanseria. But due to the aircraft being 2hrs late into Lanseria they didn't want the distraction when trying to make time up. But the crew were very nice.
But you must mention you have a licence.

I.R.PIRATE
12th Mar 2010, 12:17
I would much rather sit in the back on an aircraft that arrives on time, than in the front with Kulula who might get you there on the same calendar date.

Priorities I guess.:}

SA Aviator
15th Mar 2010, 15:11
Hi there, I had one of my best ever flights with BA. I was at CAA writing CPL exams and had booked what I thought at the time was Kulula. I got to the airport and the lady announced I was flying BA. So I board the plane sitting in an emergency exit and after take-off the drinks trolley comes around. She offered me a drink and I made a dumbass out of my self and asked her how much it was as I had my coinds ready for my Kulula flight. She laughed and said it was free. Stoked. Then there was Woolworths food for dinner, which was one of the rare times I had finished an airline meal and then all of a sudden the drinks trolley cam around again. After all this eating and drinking the hostie said that I could then go and sit up front for the descent and ladngin at Cape Town. Great crew and very kind indeed. Congrats to Comair as I won't be forgetting this flight anytime soon. I did ask if I could sit up front at the beginning of the flight however. For future reference Mango is the easiest airline to get into the flight deck. I'd rather pay R50 - R100 more to sit upfront...