PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades how?

rekcarc
21st Apr 2001, 14:17
Hi everyone
I am travelling with Virgin in a couple of months ? Do any Virgin crew out there know if its possible to get upgraded and if so how do I go about it ?
Any info greatly appreciated
Thank you :) :)

Birds2perches
22nd Apr 2001, 11:02
The best way to get into business class is to buy a business class ticket!

Sick Squid
22nd Apr 2001, 12:33
Rekcarc, I suspect all the answers you get from crew will be along the lines of "Pay the fare!" I've seen these topics appear in here before, and that is a recurring theme... you are after all trying to get something for nothing! :)

However, the general topic of upgrades is dealt with in the Passengers and SLF forum, with an excellent FAQ produced by one of the Ppruners (SLF.) I'm transferring your topic down there, where I think you'll get more information, and if you do a search for "SLF FAQ" even more info will be forthcoming.

Baiscally dress well, be unfailingly polite and if no is the answer, no is the answer. No is usually the answer.

Sick Squid
Cabin Crew Forum Moderator

man in black
22nd Apr 2001, 20:54
A business colleague once told me of this approach (without responsibility):

He would book in a given class of service selecting a flight close to being overbooked in his chosen class. He would arrange to arrive at the check-in counter within a few nano-seconds of the cut-off, hoping that the flight had become overbooked and his seat had been given away. His dress was usually that of a senior banker and his demeanor measured, polite but very serious. Oh, he would say, but I have urgent affairs at my destination and can't miss the flight. Rather than accept the fault was his, nor the proferred compensation, he would politely, but firmly suggest an upgrade. He claimed to have had this work on many occasions!!

Believe it or not.

ExSimGuy
23rd Apr 2001, 13:41
You can book a seat in Economy on a flight where the airline habitually grossly over-book. Then at the gate they'll be upgrading pax who look "respectable" and offering $200 and a firm Business seat on the next days flight. You can take your pick :)

(no names, no pack-drill, but the overbooking really messes it up for staff on "non-rev" tickets!)

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

SLF
23rd Apr 2001, 16:47
I get occasional upgrades - I ot one on my birthday as I carefully pointed this out when my passport was checked!

Ways to get an upgrade - be a frequent flyer for the airline, be smart, be nice, check in early, don't try to get a good (bulkhead) seat before check in, you'll stand a better chance if there's only middle seats, ask the nice people in the lounge if they can find you a better seat...

I did like the story of the couple who always claim they're flying to XXX to get married, this has a high success factor apparently!

Good luck!

------------------
29A please!

Shanwick Shanwick
23rd Apr 2001, 22:44
It all depends on the pax numbers on the day.

The Premium Economy cabin is almost always oversold so turning up late-ish will almost always guarentee either an upgrade to Upper Class or downgrade to Economy + cash if it's full. If you're travelling on an Economy ticket you've got two hopes of an upgrade, and one of those is "Bob".

Cheers

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

Jumbo Jockey
24th Apr 2001, 00:40
As far as I'm concerned, if you pay the money for a Mondeo, you should expect a Mondeo. If you want a BMW, go pay for it....

rekcarc
24th Apr 2001, 20:55
Thanks for your replies everyone - I do know it is being cheeky asking for upgrades and totally appreciate the comments "you get what you pay for" however if you dont ask you dont get and friends I know in the industry do get sometimes - I have never asked before as I agree with a lot of you that it is cheeky to expect something for nothing but I just thought I might try for once.
Thanks again :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif :)

Red Spitfire Driver
24th Apr 2001, 23:28
The ONLY time I wear a jacket and tie is when I am flying. Be polite and offer yourself for an upgrade if they are looking for someone. It HAS worked for me...
PS leave the kids at home.

Evo7
25th Apr 2001, 12:48
SLF

When my wife and I headed off to the states after getting married BA were going to upgrade us, but Business class was full so they gave us lots of bubbly instead :)

Red Spitfire Driver

Isn't your PS good advice generally? ;)

Avman
25th Apr 2001, 19:49
On the contrary. I take my wife along. She goes to the gate agent and says, "I know you don't like to upgrade kids to Business Class but, [pointing at me] will you make an exception for mine"? Neat attire helps too of course.

ExSimGuy
26th Apr 2001, 10:18
Of course, if anyone is operating BA1262 on the morning of Friday 27th would like to put out a PA for "Mr. ESG", I'd be happy to give up my seat in economy and go "up front" http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

(Full fare tkt this trip to http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif )