PDA

View Full Version : Plastic

C-dog
16th Dec 2001, 15:19
Any idea why BA are still pushing the plastic eating irons? Me & my family regularly travel in the front of the aircraft to the Far East and so far recently it's AF & KL real steel, BA plastic.

Surely if a plastic knife can cut through a BA steak it can do a bunch of damage to a human. (I dare say the less public military units could confirm or not) Or is it merely BA using Sept 11 as an excuse to trim costs - like the deli bags on the short haul.

Cheers

C-dog :rolleyes:

AA SLF
16th Dec 2001, 19:52
c-dog -

Might have something to do with the new "security" rules in effect here in the USA since 11-Sep. ALL a/c must use plastic utensils including those flying into/out of the USA. Looks like AF and KL know how to sort out the US bound flights from all others and that BA has just done "plastic" systemwide to reduce the bother. Penalty for non-US carriers with "metal" is loss of landing rights.

dAAvid -

christep
17th Dec 2001, 06:45
For reasons best known to the spikey-haired one, HKG has adopted a rule that says no metal knives on board. Again, KL has managed to adopt, so you get all metal except the knife, but CX takes the easy option of all plastic.

It's all extremely silly since a broken wine bottle is a far better weapon than a normal eating knife.

Up-front / upstairs passengers are going to get pissed off with this irrational behaviour after a while... it must be about time for the daft restrictions to be rescinded.

Evening Star
17th Dec 2001, 12:41
The ban on metal cutlery is like a lot of knee jerk restrictions. However, which airline is going to be first to break ranks and suffer the howling from a self righteous media?

AA-SLF

That would explain why on a recent KLM flight it was metal one way and plastic on the return. It confused me at the time.