PDA

View Full Version : Varsity Express grinds to a halt.

VOM1T
8th Mar 2010, 16:25
Web site announcement

Varsity Express regrettably announce as of 3 o'clock today March 8th 2010 the suspension of scheduled services on their Oxford to Edinburgh route.

The reason for this suspension is due to operational issues between Varsity Air Services Ltd and the airline and AOC holder who have been contracted to operate the Jetstream 31 type on our behalf and that was being used on the route. All further ticket sales have been suspended until further notice. All passengers effected by the suspension of service either have been or are currently being informed of the situation.

The policy of Varsity Air Services Ltd has always been to protect the interests of its passengers at all times and therefore the company from the onset of ticket sales entered into a voluntary passenger revenue protection scheme involving an Escrow agent account. All passenger revenue relating to flights not completed is protected by this scheme independently and all money relating to un-flown revenue can be refunded in full if necessary.

The board of Varsity Air Services Ltd are in current negotiation with potential aircraft operators and AOC holders who could provide the operational capability required to allow the resumption of services, on what has already proved to be a very popular, viable and sustainable route. The board are hopeful that Varsity Air Services Ltd will be able to resume full operational services in the very near future. For further information contact the Varsity call centre on 0871 644 0450.

ericlday
8th Mar 2010, 16:39
Now there's a surprise.

Airbus321-200
8th Mar 2010, 17:05
I didn't see that coming! ;)

heres a trip report done on the 1st flight or should i say one of the last flights :

OXF-EDI: Varsity Express' Inaugural J-31 Service — Trip Reports Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/165389/)

One of the comments made was " they (pprune) just don't seem to like me".... i wonder why.

BAladdy
8th Mar 2010, 17:06
There have been three different threads on the Airlines, Airports and Routes forum. All of which have disapeared.

It will be interesteing to see if this thread mysteriously dispears like the others did.

piemaster
8th Mar 2010, 17:07
Martin.

Can you please stop messing about with peoples lives.

What about those poor FOs you have just taken

FIFTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS

from.

Maverick8701
8th Mar 2010, 17:09
Give it an hour before this gone!!

Pilot Positive
8th Mar 2010, 17:12
Its a good point spicejetter: Martin Halstead's track record was always going to be a strong indicator of any future success.

I just hope nobody paid into this business in terms of training :ouch:

PS I wonder how long this thread will last before it is withdrawn..... :ugh:

piemaster
8th Mar 2010, 17:15
Alpha One: FAIL
Blue Islands : Extended Line Training then SACKED
Pay to fly A320
Cabin Crew
Varsity : FAIL

What he chooses to do himself is one thing but so many have suffered from his schemes, the latest being actual daylight robbery.

Please can we ban this child from any future position of responsibility.

Airbus321-200
8th Mar 2010, 17:18
It is always great to launch a new airline and to open a new business but i think we could all see where this was going why couldnt he??? maybe he has great faith or maybe it's ego i just hope the staff dont suffer too much.

Maverick8701
8th Mar 2010, 19:07
How can MH say that he thinks pprune causes his downfall? If his business is that bad that a couple rumours bring the business down then it is pretty bad to start with!

dontdoit
8th Mar 2010, 19:08
Quite frankly, if you've paid anyone £15k for a J31 type rating, you're a fool. Simples.

Pilot Positive
8th Mar 2010, 20:07
Perhaps MH is a little young to be starting an airline? Whilst I can appreciate starting 2 or 3 airlines in 5 years takes you through a steep learning curve it does seem to be at the expense of others...albeit guys who are desparate enough to pay this guy £15k for a J31 TR (the actual cost is £19k per crew). := If he had some good solid commercial experience behind him he may have been a little more grounded before making the decisions he has done.

If he feels that PPrune is a barrier to him performing or worries about what is said about him, even when he does solicit media attention, then maybe also he is far too sensitive to be getting into the complicated and highly competitive commercial sector of airline travel....its a rufty tuffty business and if you're going to run with the big boys expect to get some bruises. :ouch:

MH if you are reading this then go out with some integrity:

At the very least, pay back the difference between the actual cost of the J31 TR (£9.5k per pilot) and the amount paid to you (£15k) by those poor FOs who bought into your media led credibility. If you dont then dont be surprised if no-one goes near you again in this industry as a commercial agent or pilot. :ok:

horsebox
8th Mar 2010, 20:25
I presumbe that the "operational issues" involve a shortage of cash?

ericlday
8th Mar 2010, 20:44
souced ......????? no understand the lingo

Adios
8th Mar 2010, 22:05
Knievel77,

Don't blame Varsity Express' failure on the recession. Blame it on Martin Halstead. It's not his first failed airline. It's a shame the press doesn't recognize a virtual airline and a self-promotion artist when they see one. They so want to see an entrepreneur rags-to-riches story that they turn their paper into rags printing his spiel.

It's sad that several FO's may have given him £15K P2F cheques in the last month for Jetstream 31 ratings. It's bad enough to buy the rating and lose the job, but they might not have even even started the course.

Let's hope this is the last we hear of him: Home (http://www.flyvarsity.com/)