PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Masks

InFrequent Flyer
6th Dec 2001, 20:21
Over the summer my wife, 16 month old boy and myself took a charter flight to the Canaries. (charter flight + small child = hell on earth by the way). We had to sit in the window and middle seats on outward and return flights. This was apparently because the oxygen masks would not be long enough on the aisle seat to reach my boy. (so said JMC)
This made me wonder what O2 provision is made for babies sitting on parents knees. The safety demo always says to look after yourself first then fix your child's mask. If the row is full, what is the baby supposed to use for O2?

Anyone know?

Faire d'income
7th Dec 2001, 01:07
There are normally at least 4 masks for three seats. Never heard of the masks not being able to reach a child though. Sounds like a fib to me!

davidbwa
7th Dec 2001, 14:37
As far as I can tell, you were asked to sit by the window and centre seat and the aisle seat was occupied by someone not flying with you. If that's the case, the reason should be that because you were sitting with an infant on your lap, should the worst happen you wouldn't be blocking the exit of the "stranger". Infants are not allowed to sit on an aisle seat when there are people in the row not flying together. If everyone in the row is in the same family/group, then the infant can sit on any adult's lap.
Normally four masks are fitted for each three seat block. This extra mask is for infants of people in the aisle. Some a/c have three on one side and four on the other, and then cabin crew have to move and infants sat on the 3 mask side.

Hope that helps