PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat Flights

TikkiRo
4th Oct 2000, 02:26
Having had some brilliant jumpseat flights on UK domestic routes, I am now looking to find out is there any way of requesting the same on an international flight. I appreciate the need for safety and that as a result many flight deck doors are locked during flight, which may negate having a J/S passenger, but it obviously is possible (journalists etc are granted the facility). Is there a particular method to placing such a request, or would you really need to know the Cpt etc, since it's really down to them. I'm a safe passenger under such conditions - only let myself down once so far, by talking during finals. But it's a bit of a dream for me to be able to sit in the flight deck during take off/landing of something slightly bigger than a BAe146 or the like!! Thinking possibly of a US carrier or perhaps El-Al though no doubt the latter would definitely refuse :). Any suggestions anyone??

BRUpax
4th Oct 2000, 13:02
Unless you have the necessary professional credentials your chances on an American carrier are very remote. There are strict FAA rules concerning access to the cockpit. I know of two American pilots who were fined for having their spouses riding J/S on a full flight! You may have a better chance with a European carrier. Hoewever, this will depend on a number of factors. It will also depend on how the cabin crew handle your request.

For info, although some pilots don't always respect it themselves, do keep mum during take-off and climb (until out of 20000 feet) and during the approach and landing. If operating in busy airspace start your "sterile" period at top of descent. Your pilot may point out some significant things during this time but don't distract him/her with questions during these phases.

TikkiRo
5th Oct 2000, 02:27
Thanks BRUpax - appreciate the info. Actually did commit that cardinal crime of talking during my last J/S flight, while the FO was lined up and within 1-2 mins of landing. Didn't even click with me until the next day what I'd done, as the Cpt never admonished me, but I bet the F/O had a few choice words to say once I deplaned :) Yet they've still invited me back again, silly fools!! Maybe they like the challenge. Ah well, at least now I can stop dreaming about viewing a 777 flight deck during flight :) May just go out and buy the video - eh?

Reimers
6th Oct 2000, 19:36
As domestic flights tend to last no more than an hour or so, few people have the talent to become an unbearable nuisance in such short time.
Few flight crews, however, will permit someone to join them for the 12 hour stretch to the far east, unless you know someone personally.

TPuk
6th Oct 2000, 21:42
TikkiRo,

Next time you fly, write a short concise letter to the Captain, stating who you are, any type of licenses/ratings you have, and that you would very much appriciate a jump seat ride.

In my expierence you will sometimes be allowed the whole flight including take-off, sometimes you will be invited in near to the TOD. Sometimes you will be denied a landing but allowed a look during the cruise. It depends on the captain and the company policy.

As a bench mark, these have been my personal expierences on international flights (and I'm only 17!);

Go Fly: Entire flight
British Airways: Entire flight
Buzz: Entire flight
Britannia: 1 hour during cruise and j/s landing
Ryan Air: Look during cruise and j/s landing
Airtours: Only a look - j/s landing denied (although I've heard from many people that I was just unlucky this time, most Airtours pilots, it seems, allow it.

WhizzBang
7th Oct 2000, 01:28
Normally just a quick word with the Number one (Senior Cabin Attendant) as you board and the fact you show a genuine interest will be enough to get you the Jump Seat.

As always its down to the Captain discretion, with none being given on training flights or for those under 14.

We are happy to allow you on for the entire duration, if you are happy to cope with the cramped conditions. We are normally a little less accomodating during poor weather or when carrying a defect which increases our work load for example operating with no autopilot - it just means more capacity is used in monitering the operation so less can be spared to explain whats happening to you.

As you can see the availability changes from sector to sector, so if you have been knocked back once it doesn't necessarily mean thats company policy so try again.

I remember exactly what it was like not too long ago sitting in the jump seat wishing for a chance at the right hand seat, so all those interested are more than welcome to visit.

TikkiRo
7th Oct 2000, 01:55
TP - how on earth have you managed to rack up so many flights at such a young age?? WEalthy parents or a good part-time job? But seriously, thanks for the info, although I'm wondering how you write to a Cpt whose name you don't know beforehand?? Also, were your flights domestic or charter?

WB - Can I ask which airline you're with and what UK routes you fly, so that should I be fortunate to ever be using it, I can check and see if you're up front?? Mind you going up to the flight deck and asking the Cpt if he's called Whizz Bang, might be enough to net me more than a J/S flight if I'm not careful :) :)

Once again - I truly appreciate the information, and will log it for future use. Thanks again TR

TPuk
7th Oct 2000, 14:34
TikkiRo,

I've been lucky I know, but it is not as glam as it may sound!

Go Fly: I am lucky enough to know a pilot
Britannia: I am lucky enough to know a pilot
British Airways: One short haul European flight for a holiday, and once again when BA were operating on behalf of Go Fly during a mantinence period.
Airtours: The return journey from the Britannia flight - as the holiday industry changed from winter to summer seasons whilst we were on holiday, the flights were operated by different carriers.
Ryanair: This was just a jolly (because I'm sad like that) - I booked it during one of their special offers and got Italy and back for £24.
Buzz: Look at this:
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/000902.html

PS: All international flights

PPS: If you want to write a letter to the Captain and you dont know his name, it is perfectly acceptable to start "Dear Captain,"

PPS: I only work on the weekends as a lifeguard!

Good luck!

TPuk

Edited for S.P.G.

[This message has been edited by TPuk (edited 07 October 2000).]

TikkiRo
7th Oct 2000, 17:27
Thanks Tom
Never thought of using the boards for this idea - although perhaps some wouldn't want the facility to be overused/abused. But it could always be done privately if that was the case. REally nice to see how it can all happen though with a quiet word in the right places. Not due to fly anywhere for a while yet anyway, but will remember to make a request here perhaps when I am. Much appreciate all your help! TR

Airliner Junkie
9th Oct 2000, 00:12
As a somewhat frequent flier, I've always dreamed of riding JS, but know about the US regulations. I'm doing UA, SJC-DFW next month, and like the idea of writing a letter to the Pilot. I'm not sure it'll work, but it never hurts to try. Question: will the fact that I'm booked in F class for that flight help my chances of being granted JS during flight?

Erik.

TPuk
9th Oct 2000, 13:14
No, I don't think so. (IMHO)

I was in F class when I asked for the jump seat when I was travelling Airtours - the only time I've been turned down. And also, the Captain asked me what seat I was sitting in prior to saying no!

Also, with UA I am 99.999999% sure you won't be granted the jump seat for landing, unless, that is, the Captain is about to retire/doesn't like his job any more!

If you ever come across to the UK, make sure you use BA or possibly Virgin. I know that BA policy allows/encourages it wherever the person/situation allows, I'm not sure about Virgin but they do have a reputation for being some of the friendliest crews in the skies!

Good luck, and let us know how you got on.

TPuk