PDA

View Full Version : Canon MP800R printer status

The late XV105
8th Mar 2010, 10:48
Canon MP800R wireless printer purchased new in 2006 and used on the same home network ever since.

A couple of weeks ago I had the HDD on my T61 wiped and rebuilt from my employer's standard ghost image whereupon I then reinstalled the Canon drivers.

All was fine until I rebooted the laptop after which the Canon displayed "offline". To all other PCs and laptops on the same home network however it continued to display "online", and print properly. All Machines run a flavour of XP, the offending T61 running XP Pro SP3 plus all windows updates.

If I reinstall the Canon drivers on the T61, the printer appears "online" and works. When I next reboot the T61, the printer displays "offline" again despite still working properly for any other PC or laptop on the nextwork.

Again, reinstalling drivers solves the problem until the next reboot.

Windows firewall is completely "off".

The printer has a fixed I.P. address (as do all devices on the network) that responds to a PING from the T61.

Suggestions to try next, please?

TVM

The late XV105
8th Mar 2010, 15:11
Sorted ("ish", but at least I can now print from the T61) :)

No, I didn't cheat by hooking up a USB or ethernet cable, I simply noticed that on rebooting the T61 the option for "use printer offline" is defaulting to "ticked". Untick it, and the printer's back on line until the next T61 reboot.

Hopefully I simply have a setting to change somewhere that I've missed so far though it's strange that this didn't happen with the original installation.

Stand easy.