PDA

View Full Version : ANR (Zulu) headset making vibration noise

BrisbaneR33
8th Mar 2010, 06:18
I have noticed a strange thing with my Lightspeed Zulu headset on a couple of flights.
When I turn my head to the side to talk to a passenger I get a weird
vibration sound in the left ear cup. It also occurs sometimes when taxiing
with the storm window open. It stops if I reposition the ear cup or face
forward. I am able to replicate the sound even without the headset plugged
into the aircraft by either turning my head or leaning forward.

I emailed the distributor in Australia who said that this is not uncommon with ANR headsets and is due to the ear seal moving away from the surface of my head. Their suggestion was to change the headband cushion.

Can any other ANR headset owners confirm this? Or is this an attempt to avoid a warranty claim?

7AC
8th Mar 2010, 06:52
While I use a Bose-X it too has some funny characteristics, especially if it is not fitting
squarely on your head or if the little holes are blocked or if the batteries aren't great.
It is also very good at picking up the radar pulse as you get neat the radar head and military
radars are the worst.

BrisbaneR33
8th Mar 2010, 09:14
I haven't had that pleasure yet but something to look forward to! I can sometimes here the strobe flashing but I think that's an earthing problem in the electrics. I was on a flight recently and the person in the right seat had some DCs and couldn't hear it at all over the engine noise!

jez d
8th Mar 2010, 09:34
It is possible that the fit round your ears is causing the fault, but equally it could be down to a loose ear piece in the ear cup, which is also known to cause this fault and can be rectified under warranty.

If you can do with out it for a couple of weeks then suggest you get the LightSpeed agent to take a look.

jez

BrisbaneR33
8th Mar 2010, 09:48
equally it could be down to a loose ear piece in the ear cup

Thanks Jez. I'm thinking this may well be the case as I can't replicate the fault in the right ear cup. I've just gone back to them with this so will go from there.

Good thing I hung onto my old headset!

Wayback
9th Mar 2010, 07:18
BrisbaneR33... I had exactly the same problem with a friends Zulu that I was trying out. Every time I turned my head left the earseal detached from the side of my face and I would get the vibration. I don't think it's cause is a loose earpiece in the earcup but rather the way ANR works. ANR technology produces soundwaves to counter the noise waves of your aircraft (simple sine curves) and the ANR produces these waves at a specific frequency. When the seal is broken (i.e when the headset is not exactly in contact and closed around your ear) this frequency then becomes the vibration. I think this could be the cause or thats as best as I could sum it up for myself.

MyNameIsIs
9th Mar 2010, 08:13
Sorry to be a little off topic, but I'm wondering if the ear seal deterioration that I've seen on about 3 or 4 seperate Zulus belonging to mates is still a problem with the ones coming out of the factory?

I'm considering a pair (BOSE, Zulu or some other I cannot remember at this stage, but leaning towards the Zulus) at some stage in the near future but am put off by seeing the ear seals deteriorate so rapidly, leaving lots of little black bits on the side of your face- and the subsequent cost of replacement!!
That sort of thing just doesnt scream out 'build quality' to me, unlike the DCs I've got.

But going back to topic, the ANR kit on my DC 13.4's (altho its failed on me a couple of times for some reason i cannot remember, and im using my other un-modded pair now) will also give you weird noises if the seal around your ear is not correct.

BrisbaneR33
17th Mar 2010, 23:54
Lightspeed are sending me out a taller headpad so I'll try that out and see if it solves the problem. I just find it odd that it only occurs with the left earcup.

I haven't heard anything about ear seals deteriorating. They are leather so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. I don't think you will find any headset as tough as DCs though. But for me comfort, ANR, and iPod connectivity were more important. I'll just be sure to take good care of them.

lasseb
20th Mar 2010, 11:21
If its a slow vibrating "sound" (3-5Hz) you are hearing, its a quite common "feature" of ANR's.
If had this with at least 3 different types including the Zulu. It's usually worst during taxi / runup and tend to disappear in the air. It also varies a lot from plane type to plane type.

I get it a lot in the RHS of a C172/P28 particularity when facing 90 degrees to the left (i.e looking at my student), but I never get it in the LHS on a multiengine regardless of where I face.

I think its just the ANR algorithm that can't handle slow RPM, or anything that sounds like slow RPM (like storm window noise). And also probably because the sense microphones on the ear-cups gets out of phase with regards to the sound source when you turn your head.

Its easily fixed on the ground by simple turning off the ANR until lineup ;)

BrisbaneR33
21st Mar 2010, 08:31
The taller head pad arrived today. With that fitted and the ear pieces fully extended the noise has gone. It feels like the clamping pressure has increased and that seems to stop the sound. I still think it's odd that even at home if I pull the left ear cup from my ear it makes the noise but not when I do the same with the right ear cup.

Oh well if it stops the noise while I'm flying I guess that's the main thing!

BrisbaneR33
27th Mar 2010, 12:08
The taller headpad was a winner. During runups I still have some issues but I'm turning the ANR on just prior to lineup now.

Thanks all for your input.

Bjcnz
1st Apr 2010, 00:09
Hey OP, I don't own a Zulu, but I used to have a DC X11 and what you're hearing kinda sounds similar to what happened to mine.

If its an actual Audible clicking noise (not like white noise) then I would say its a problem with the headset. I had a problem with mine always making this annoying clicking noise, brought it into DC and they replaced it with a brand new one.

SNS3Guppy
1st Apr 2010, 05:55
Often with the better ANR headsets, a bad earseal will cause the problem you describe. You may also be hearing noise through the aircraft audio amplifier that one normally doesn't hear with a passive headset. I had that recently using a Bose X, and managed to eliminate the problem (which did sound very much like a headset problem) by switching audio amplifiers. I've also had the same problem and eliminated it using a new set of ear seals.

In lightspeed products, I've had a similar problem, and have had to send the headset back to Lightspeed. To their credit, it was overnighted back to me, completely overhauled, new cord and all, at no cost.

BrisbaneR33
5th Apr 2010, 23:50
Yeah I think the issue with mine was a poor seal around the ears. The thicker head pad has resulted in slightly greater clamping pressure which has eliminated the sound. Lightspeed sent it to me from the USA at no cost, so no complaints there.

SNS3Guppy
9th Apr 2010, 06:11
I just picked up a uflymike along with a bose QC-15 which works great. Very clear, very comfortable (just wore it on a 12 hour leg), and it's got a music input (for those who might want it).

test7875
15th Apr 2010, 02:34
Hey There - i am in Perth with a new set of Zulu's and have exactly the same grief. Im hoping that this taller head pad will resolve the issue of my apparent "small head".