PDA

View Full Version : bmi British Midland Summer Menu(?)

What_does_this_button_do?
21st Apr 2001, 20:43
Travelled in Business from Belfast to London Heathrow yesterday and the meal we got was nothing short of a JOKE.

A few pieces of iceburg lettuce (mine had a brown tinged edge), shavings of carrot a few beansprouts and a slice of VERY fatty pork. What did the economy passengers get?, a very nice wrapped sandwich.

I won't mention the frozen yogurt with zero taste.

When I asked the business hostess for a sandwich I was told "we only carry the exact amount of sandwiches for the amount of passengers we have - so you can't". When I pointed out that they might have a few extra I was told "we don't". When the economy hostess walked through I asked and she provided us with a very nice BLT wrapped sandwich - along with all the other passengers in earshot - and with a smile!

Another passenger was told "if you don't like it complain".

So, in my opinion the menu is awful.

Anyone else?

hostie1
23rd Apr 2001, 12:59
I completly agree with you, I actually work for bmi myself and I think the new meals are a disgrace, please do complain, any pax comments should be noted
down on a questionnaire specially drawn up for this. The reason for the answer to your question about the sandwiches is that, it is very true we do only get the exact amount. But if there are any left at the end of the economy service then I really don't see a problem. However we are reluctant to give any sandwiches out before the service has ended, I am sure you understand.

[This message has been edited by hostie1 (edited 23 April 2001).]

Avman
24th Apr 2001, 02:20
I've actually refused upgrades with BA and BD because I honestly prefer the sandwiches! And if you don't mind missing out on the bubbly, the rest is all the same.

ExSimGuy
24th Apr 2001, 14:07
Certainly seems a bit rough if us "rucksack yobbos" down the back end get better food than the gentlemen up front who pay twice as much for the seat ;)

OzPax1
24th Apr 2001, 21:48
Perhaps bmi are trying to attract a 'better' class of customer with them Y class sandwich's. :) :)

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

The_Banking_Scot
24th Apr 2001, 23:04
Hello,
This is my first post but feel I must add to the comments above.
I flew business class (Diamond euroclass)with bmi British Midland from Heathrow to Edinburgh at the end of March and was disapointed in the quality of the dinner service ( 1840 flight) all we got was a plate of chilled salmon together with desert and a roll. On the previous flight (1840 Edinburgh to London) at leat we got a full hot meal and after flying around 20 times on the BA shuttle route 9 the 1900) on which we got a hot meal was disapointed. I wrote to Bmi Customer relations and got a letter back saying that they changed the meals following rebranding and used customer focus groups and past feedback.According to their Customer relations " We now feel the menu is relative to the time of day although not eveyone will feel it is for the best"and Catering management are reviewing all feedback."
I feel that at around 5-7pm ( dinner time we should get a reasonable hot meal for the price we are paying).
However I do get access to the lounge ( unlike on British Airways) and the service is on a par with them.

( I will not go into details about my next flight with Bmi in which they lost my luggage for 3 days.)

Bye for now

snooky
25th Apr 2001, 01:35
TBS, you'll find that you do now get lounge access on BA with a business ticket, and you might even get where you're going on time, and possibly even travel on a nice big Boeing. No comparison really.

Land After
25th Apr 2001, 18:05
Another way of looking at it-
You can get squeezed into 3+3, not 2+3, seating in a crammed, unreliable 757 that's only fit for freight conversion, with cabin crew with attitude and the rest of the Y pax at the back of the plane who paid 1/3 of what you did, but get the same service.

Or you can sit in a nice new bus with wider seats with a pleasant crew that recognise that you travel on business at short notice and frequently change plans and are forced to travel at a higher fare level and may want a little something in return.

(...though I do agree that the food could be a lot better - if you're a veggie you don't even get the fatty pork)

snooky
26th Apr 2001, 15:41
Land After

Not entirely fair comment. I've only had one tech. 757 in 5000 hours.
The freight conversion 757s will soon all be gone, leaving nice sporty e4's, which can hardly be called cramped at 180 seats, when they can hold 230 for charters.
On domestics, which I presume you're comments relate to, you usually get regionally based cc, who I think are the best around, mostly very experienced.
Finally, who do you think gets first pick of the pilots?

SLF
26th Apr 2001, 16:37
...meanwhile, back at the topic...

I'll always remember BM's breakfast of poached egg in half a baked potato a few years ago. Obviously, they're still into experimental cuisine. ;-)

Time for a new focus group, I think. I'm sure we could provide bmi with a cross-section of PPRuNers!

------------------
29A please!

arrow2
26th Apr 2001, 19:29
Flew BA economy LGW - LYS last week with my 5 year old son, early morning. I had the "All Day Deli" bag (roll, yoghurt, coffee). I had pre-booked a kiddies meal for James and it looked delicious in comparison - it had the yoghurt, roll, choccie or two, OJ and other goodies. I think next time I fly BA Cattle I will reserve my seat as a kiddie!

A2

PaulDeGearup
26th Apr 2001, 21:47
MayI recommend Air France's Espace. Great food.

As for bmi..the word from Skippy was that only the exact number of meals should be on board. Now if you are a C class pax with a fully flexible ticket turning up just before check in closes..you will go hungry coz they dont delay for catering. Civil Aviation ? Its your money, you choose wher you spend it !

The_Banking_Scot
26th Apr 2001, 22:20
snooky,

Thanks for that. I also found out from one of my colleagues at a training course in Edinburgh before going down to Heathrow that on a full fare BA ticket you could get access to the lounge. At Edinburgh however she was told that while she could use the lounge at Heathrow, she could not use it at Edinburgh.

The next time I was at Heathrow i saw the BA flyers advertising the fact although there were no flyers at Paddington where I normally checked in and was not advised of the fact.
On my most recent BA flight I noitced that the dinner services had changed copmared to hat a few weeks earlier.ie No starter and no mineral water with the meal ( having to ask for it as part of the bar service) and on the afternoon flights (ie Sundays 1615 EDI-LHR)after previoulsy getting a cold snack served on a tray , you now get a bag with a sandwich and cake pluscoffee seved in a cardboard" All day deli" cup?

Is this continuing or have BA changed recently?

Bye for now

snooky
27th Apr 2001, 02:05
As far as I know, with a business ticket you should be able to use the lounges anywhere in the UK. It's fairly recent though, maybe Edinburgh were'nt told.
A backward step removing the mineral water from main meals, but the actual food is excellent, particularly the chicken curry. The deli bags are usually about right for the time of day, but I agree that presentation is lacking compared to the previous style.