PDA

View Full Version : Not your everyday video

SMOC
8th Mar 2010, 03:48
I know this should be in spotters but it's not everyday you see video like this other than during early flight test.

Also the use of the nose gear alternate extend system to take some of the video is unique to say the least. :ok:

The Belly of the Beast

SNSEogZ3upY

neroliie
8th Mar 2010, 04:04
Awesome! :D

Sunfish
8th Mar 2010, 04:19
Thank You!

tarmac-
8th Mar 2010, 04:48
The guys got some awesome videos.

Saint Jack
8th Mar 2010, 05:08
"...Also the use of the nose gear alternate extend system to take some of the video is unique to say the least." I'm sure the purpose of the nose gear alternate extend system is not to take videos with the nose camera. So what is it for? The aircraft in the video flew for quite some time with only the nose gear extended.

SMOC
8th Mar 2010, 05:32
So what is it for?

The 747 classic has 5 individual alternate gear extend switches, one for each gear for when the normal system fails such as after a hydraulic failure.

In this case the nose gear alternate system was used and the normal gear selection was made later using the gear lever.

HKPAX
8th Mar 2010, 06:10
Hope that camera was properly mounted: what would happen if it detached? Into an engine or smack a flap?

ray cosmic
8th Mar 2010, 06:28
wow, nice video. But I can come with a couple reasons why the guys involved could lose their job. The most basic perhaps is taxiing and flying while willfully disabling the Beacon light. Saw it blink exactly once just before touchdown... :}

Although we should have this kind of videofeed standard on the flightdeck; would help with some troubleshooting from time to time!

Panban
8th Mar 2010, 06:43
Hi!
Awesome job.
But how did you manage to do such a thing?
Pilot, mechanic?
No danger for the A/c as above said about what if the camera sucked from engine if no properly mounted?

By the same extend someone could put anything in the A/c that could jeopardize the flight.

Are they GP7000 engines?

Anyway 5 stars video, keep going

jettison valve
8th Mar 2010, 06:54
ray cosmic,

The beacon shows up every now and then. I believe it^s not a high speed camera, rather the other end of the range... - so the beacon is not captured every time.

Otherwise: A phantastic video...!!! :ok:

Cheers, J.V.

rottenray
8th Mar 2010, 06:58
Shaky Video...

I went through this frame at a time.

Puffing panels, lots of frame vibration once airborne.

I'll clarify this:
Lots of sharp, hard frame vibrations.

Was this an early test flight?

RR.

spannersatKL
8th Mar 2010, 07:12
Panban its a 747 classic....JT9Ds

Tmbstory
8th Mar 2010, 07:14
It could be said it was shot from Down Under.

Tmb

White Knight
8th Mar 2010, 07:14
Early test flight RottonRay? I doubt it unless Air France had a 380 back in the 60s - the one lurking in the BG:ok::ok:

Great vid - shame so many party poopers here.. You know who you are:rolleyes:

Bigt
8th Mar 2010, 07:34
Excellent video - paired with nice music - dont recognise the title of the music - no doubt a `modern beat combo`!!!

no-hoper
8th Mar 2010, 07:45
nice one.but not an A380.for sure.

Jetjock330
8th Mar 2010, 07:48
Cool stuff! as cool as the kid on ATC in New York! :}

JW411
8th Mar 2010, 08:22
The same video was being hawked yesterday on the Freight Dogs forum on the MK Airlines thread. I had assumed that it was taken on an MK flight from Jo'burg to Maputo.

KiloMikePapa
8th Mar 2010, 08:24
nice one.but not an A380.for sure.

The AF A380 is parked in the background. The (film)ship is a B747.

BTW A superb video! But ... wait till the media find out about this one :}

Flexi
8th Mar 2010, 08:25
Great video :ok:

Browsing through the other videos of user "Balleka", i guess it was a B747-200 of MK Airlines...

YouTube - Balleka's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/Balleka)

Great stuff...

Cheers Flexi

paulg
8th Mar 2010, 08:55
Thanks Flexi for that link. Love the FE one. Eat your hearts out old timers.

Global Warrior
8th Mar 2010, 09:01
Does that operator always taxy so fast??:eek::eek::eek: :ok:

KiloMikePapa
8th Mar 2010, 09:41
Does that operator always taxy so fast??

Only when they underestimated the time needed to mount the camera :)

benjamin.dordoigne
8th Mar 2010, 10:16
Balleka videos are wonderful!

Hotel Tango
8th Mar 2010, 10:18
Scandalous and unprofessional use of none approved equipment on a commercial a/c. The Captain should be sacked, just like the ATCO at JFK!!!

;)

Global Warrior
8th Mar 2010, 10:51
Allegedly he was taxying that fast so that he could get his departure clearance from a kid in the tower that was busting to use the potty.

The cameraman allegedly used to be in the swedish airforce and held a current and invalid ATPL and was actually strapped to the nose leg wearing nothing more than a pair of speedos and Raybans operating a handheld camera whilst humming the accompnying tune.

The Captain has since been fired for his complaints, heard on the CVR, about management forcing him into this publicity stunt and the obvious dangers therein. Sadly there is soooo much media coverage surounding the first 2 sensational allegations that the media couldnt give a toss about a seasoned professional fired for pointing out a lack of safety culture in an international airline :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Diesel Fitter
8th Mar 2010, 11:01
Pay that GW!! :ok:

Some people really do need to get a life.:ugh:

neroliie
8th Mar 2010, 12:25
Global - I lol'd! :D

TDK mk2
8th Mar 2010, 12:35
My company is full of people like you handbag clutchers. Put perfectly by my ops manager "the Ops manual is written in black and white, the world isn't..."

beach_life
8th Mar 2010, 13:22
Music is Pryda - 'Pjanoo'

SeniorDispatcher
8th Mar 2010, 13:23
BTW if you're interested the music is Pjanoo by Eric Prydz.

samuelmj1
8th Mar 2010, 16:26
YouTube - Eric Prydz - Pjano (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxiI5qqYJI0)

samuelmj1
8th Mar 2010, 16:30
Why does the nose gear appear to extend far earlier than the main undercarriage?

leewan
8th Mar 2010, 19:58
Ha ha, LMAO reading GW's comments. :ok::)

Hope the crew don't get into trouble for going out of their way to show the world a spectacular view that no one was able to see before.( maybe except stowaways.) And also love the FE's lament video. Enthusiasm and curiosity for aviation is now killed in the name of security.:(

And shouldn't the inboard slats stow when the thrust reversers deployed during landing ? Or is this function found only on the 744s ?

blambert
8th Mar 2010, 22:53
Heres there answers:

YouTube - Making of Belly of the Beast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yo-BZM5BfU)

Two cable ties should do it.

WhatsThatNoise
10th Mar 2010, 18:03
Why does the outer set of the under carriage have such a high angle of attack?

leewan
11th Mar 2010, 06:24
Why does the outer set of the under carriage have such a high angle of attack?

The proper term for it is truck tilt, not angle of attack. And they are the wing landing gears.:) Not sure of the actual reason, but I suppose the body landing gears don't tilt as much as the wing l/g gear due to the limited clearance they have. They could bump into the fuselage fairings and damage it if they could tilt as much as the wing l/gs.

Dash2Class
11th Mar 2010, 21:10
The wing gear has a hydraulic jack that tilts them when not under compression so as they will stow when retracted. If they weren't tilted to such a degree then they would not have been able to get all 16 Dunlops in the belly.

Balleka, Awesome video dude! Thanks for sharing you must have had an awesome F/E and F/O on board assisting in a completely glitch free and smooth operation of the Alternate nose gear system. That's what Boeing designed the system for!

Ps they use 1 cable tie to suppress a 250Lb Psycho on a cocaine and booze fueled frenzy. I think a teeny camera out of the air flow would survive 220Kts airflow with a surface area the square route of poop all. Looking Fwd to the next one Balleka!