PDA

View Full Version : Night Qual during CPL?

Okavango
7th Mar 2010, 20:15
Hopefully I'll complete my NQ before the nights shorten (already done the 5 full stops). Just got me thinking that as the CPL has 10 hours instrument instuction in there and I'll be doing it later this year, would it not make sense to kill two birds with one stone? As I understand it the NQ experience just has to be in place for CPL issue. Not a major issue as I guess it's just saving 3 hours instruction - but does this make sense?

BillieBob
7th Mar 2010, 20:23
If you do not hold a valid night flying qualification at the start of the modular CPL(A) course then you have to complete an extra 5 hours on the course, even if you have done most of the training before. It would make sense, therefore, to complete the training and get the night qualification issued before starting the CPL.

Obs cop
8th Mar 2010, 19:40
Don't confuse night flying with instrument flying. the night qualification is fundamentally VFR flying, using instruments to monitor attitude and performance. Indeed during my NQ, my instructor turned the instrument lights out so we flew for a little while with only external visual references.

The 10 hours instrument instruction in the CPL are flying the aircraft with sole reference to instruments and no external references.

As an aside, the NQ was one of the most enjoyable courses I have ever done.

Regards,
Obs